The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and learn to ignore the Estimated Range to Empty meter, which is often referred to as the "Guess-O-Meter" or GOM on these forums. Just like with a gas car (called an ICE for Internal Combustion Engine) after a while you will know how far you can go with the remaining charge left based on expected driving conditions.

On the 2013 models with the more useful State of Charge (SOC) gauge, that's the thing to have displayed. Just remember you want to, if possible, stop at about 20% charge left, not near zero. Dipping into the teens right before arriving home is OK, although then you get the Creepy voice warning about low charge...

RonDawg said:
Oh, and learn to ignore the Estimated Range to Empty meter, which is often referred to as the "Guess-O-Meter" or GOM on these forums. Just like with a gas car (called an ICE for Internal Combustion Engine) after a while you will know how far you can go with the remaining charge left based on expected driving conditions.

It is now Day 2 and both nights it has been recharged to 100% using the trickle charger. On Day 1 when we unplugged the car it said we had 90 miles of range. On Day 2 it said we had 71. My wife is relying on the battery meter instead. When she arrived at work this morning she had 77% charge remaining, which is about what I expected.

Also, on Day 1 she had ECO mode on and Drive set to B. Today she has ECO mode off and no B. I really don't see the point of ECO and B if you know you have plenty of range for your trip. The car is definitely more fun to drive with those things off.

loomis2 said:
It is now Day 2 and both nights it has been recharged to 100% using the trickle charger. On Day 1 when we unplugged the car it said we had 90 miles of range. On Day 2 it said we had 71. My wife is relying on the battery meter instead. When she arrived at work this morning she had 77% charge remaining, which is about what I expected.

Also, on Day 1 she had ECO mode on and Drive set to B. Today she has ECO mode off and no B. I really don't see the point of ECO and B if you know you have plenty of range for your trip. The car is definitely more fun to drive with those things off.
If you don't need 100% you ought not to charge it to 100%. Use the 80% setting or just charge as needed once you get comfortable with your driving pattern. Doing so may reduce the rate of degradation of the battery. Since it doesn't impact your use of the car to limit charge to 80% there is no reason not to do it.

If you do charge to 100% because you need the range, be sure to never leave it at that level for an extended time (days). The best way to do it is to set an "end-time-only" timer for about when you plan to leave home.

While your wife doesn't need to conserve charge with such a short commute learning how to drive efficiently can be useful when you do try to stretch the range of the car. Also, using Eco plus B can allow "single pedal" driving during which one rarely has to use the brake pedal (slowing is done by backing off the accelerator to feed in regen braking, as needed). That is a new paradigm for driving and many people prefer it. So, it depends on how one defines "fun to drive".

The other reason for driving efficiently, as opposed to aggressively, is to conserve electricity. Some people do this to avoid waste, others can't be bothered. That choice is up to you and your wife.

loomis2 said:
My thinking is if you have a second car for travelling long distances, or even just access to a second car, then an electric car should be your MAIN CAR.
Yes! Yes! :D :D :D
Point I've been making for two years+ on this forum is that if your commute allows use of an electric vehicle, and you have a backup 2nd ICE vehicle or access to one, that the LEAF is the PRIMARY vehicle.
Yes!!!! :D :D :D
Welcome to the electric vehicle world. I'm certain you'll love it.

I'm a little late on this thread! I took delivery of my new Pearl White SVQC LED about two weeks ago from Chevy Chase Nissan in Bethesda, Maryland. Two year lease to see how I like it. They also gave me a $400 credit to rent from their Enterprise franchise for when I need an ICE.

I've only seen one other Leaf in town since.. Hoping to find a few more. I'm having so much fun! Managed to take two 'trips' so far - once to BWI airport and found the garage charge stations, and once to Frederick and back. Will be trying a few longer excursions over the next few weeks, but have already passed through the initial range anxiety stage.

Still working on Home Level 2 EVSE decision.

Mostly I'm glad to be out of my huge kid-schlepping Toyota Sienna! I'm also glad to be keeping up with my husband who is also all electric - riding an Organic Transit Elf ( Read about it on Elfrider.com or just take a look

blogger-image-86389547.jpg

TimLee said:
Point I've been making for two years+ on this forum is that if your commute allows use of an electric vehicle, and you have a backup 2nd ICE vehicle or access to one, that the LEAF is the PRIMARY vehicle.

Even more importantly, people in multi-car households (apparently more than half are in the US) should consider making one of those cars an EV of some sort. Not everybody can (for example, both spouses commute too far and have no workplace charging opportunities), but a lot of people who CAN simply don't want to even though it could save them money.

We are a month into our Leaf ownership. Range anxiety is right about 0. We have taken the car into the city for work(we are in the suburbs of Chicago), weekend errands, etc.. Even with charging the car only a couple times a week, no worries. I am hoping to find time this summer for some more adventurous trips with the car.

RonDawg said:
Even more importantly, people in multi-car households (apparently more than half are in the US) should consider making one of those cars an EV of some sort. Not everybody can (for example, both spouses commute too far and have no workplace charging opportunities), but a lot of people who CAN simply don't want to even though it could save them money.

I do think Nissan could do a better job of building the business case. I had to build my own business case to show myself that with the Georgia state rebate incentive and the free charger, I would be driving the car for free for two years. My out of pocket costs were a little over $7,000 (total of all lease payments, down payments, and taxes). GA gives me $5K. That leaves $2K to cover. I am saving $200 a month that was spent on gas for my Expedition. There's $2400 a year. So that's $4800 I am NOT spending on gas over the two year lease. The car is making me $2800 over two years. Even taking into account my annual insurance and my increase in electricity (which is about $15 a month), I still come out ahead...

Now if Nissan could work that out (maybe they have and I've missed it), I think more folks would jump on the lease. Of course, it's a better deal for me since I went from a low MPG vehicle. The math would not work for someone driving a Geo Metro. And in GA, it's the $5K rebate that makes it all worthwhile.

At the end of the two years, I still don't know if I'll buy, lease again, or drop off and walk away.

loomis2 said:
I really don't see the point of ECO and B if you know you have plenty of range for your trip. The car is definitely more fun to drive with those things off.

I prefer the throttle-mapping in Eco mode. It's more linear and it just makes more sense to me. I find it's easier to maintain a set speed, and get smoother acceleration. If I really want to punch it, the power is still there, I just have to move my foot a bit more. And the ability to one-foot it in busy conditions is a nice convenience and a part of the serenity of EV driving. It's just do darned EASY.

We leased a 2013 Leaf S with the quick charger package in early March of this year (39 month lease) and it was one of the best decisions we've ever made. We got it to replace the oldest of our three vehicles, a 1996 Toyota Camry, that was costing us about $200 per month in repairs and maintenance (we have two college age kids, hence the need for three vehicles).

We love this car. It gets used for more than 90% of our trips. It's become my wife's main car and commuter car, but it's everyone in the family's first choice of vehicle for any local trip or travel under 70 miles, though our average trip is probably under 20. The infrastructure is starting to appear for longer trips also, so we anticipate doing that eventually. I no longer keep track of gas prices. I'm not even sure exactly what a gallon costs here any more.

Financially, it was an unbeatable deal. $1,999 down and a total lease payment of $245 per month for 39 months, but the local air district rebate of $3,000 and the state rebate of $2,500 cut that cost just about in half. Factor in at least $50 a month in gas savings, and the reduced maintenance and wear and tear on other vehicles because they are now hardly used, and our net cost is well under $100 per month. Our electric bills have actually decreased so far because we switched to PG&Es E9A time of use rate plan and are careful to use power when it's cheap.

We will probably turn it in when the lease is up, not because we don't love it but because financially that will be better, and the chance that something even better will be out by then is fairly good.

hpver said:
We will probably turn it in when the lease is up, not because we don't love it but because financially that will be better, and the chance that something even better will be out by then is fairly good.

At our EV Club of the South meeting here in Atlanta last night, this very topic came up. With the incentives the way they are, it doesn't "pay" to buy a used Leaf (or keep one when your lease is up) if you can get a new one for such a good deal.

Someone noted there was a used one on a lot someplace going for about as much as a new one AFTER the incentives are factored in. Right now, if the incentives are still offered, I don't know that I'd keep my lease at the end of the period. Plus, we are all anticipating battery improvements, so who know what the EVs of 2014 and 2015 will have in range.

I am glad you're enjoying your Leaf. Mine has been a pleasure to drive, and it covers 90% of what I need. I'd love to take it on a longer trip, but we have zero fast chargers in GA, and I'm not about to make a six hour pit stop to take it to Greenville, SC (an otherwise 2 - 3 hour trip in an ICE vehicle).

We leased a 2013 silver SL (no premium package) from Al Piemonte Nissan in Melrose Park (outside Chicago) last week. (Shout out to dealer! They have a lot in stock!) Traded in our 2011 Versa. With federal tax credit, a state tax credit that dealer threw in, and about $2800 equity in the Versa, we are at payments of $269/month for 24 months with no money down. I thought we got a good deal -- the Illinois state tax situation was my biggest hangup about leasing (it's charged upfront), so them taking care of that saved us quite a bit of money. I also like the shorter lease period as it's not as daunting of a commitment.

This car should be a money-saver for us due to my 50-mile RT commute from near west suburbs of Chicago to northwest suburbs (half city, half tollway), even as gas prices here are (finally) starting to come down slightly. I have been spending >$150 gas/month. The car is super fun to drive and has a ton more bells and whistles than our base Versa! We are new to leasing but fairly loyal to Nissan, as I had a 2001 Maxima I drove for 10 years that never had a problem. Now we're researching home-charging stations and I'm hoping we get a charger at my office as I feel like I'm pushing the envelope with my commute, especially if weather is extreme. We'll see where we are after I get it home today and charge it on my trickle charger overnight. We also have a Volvo SUV so I'm not completely dependent on this car, which made it a much easier choice for us.

katie said:
Now we're researching home-charging stations and I'm hoping we get a charger at my office as I feel like I'm pushing the envelope with my commute, especially if weather is extreme.

If you have a home charging station, you should be able to get away with just trickle charging for the typical 8 or so hour workday. Workplaces are understandably reluctant to spend money for a dedicated charging station that would only benefit a small number of people, but they may be far more agreeable to simply letting you plug in to their existing 120 volt outlet.

Hi, everyone!

A long time lurker turned leaf owner. I leased a Super Black 2013 SV with the LED headlight package from Power Salem Nissan (If you go there, only talk to Bob Lacy!).

Living in the northwest and liking to stretch the abilities of my things, I drove my new leaf 200 miles on the first day I owned it. Luckily the Blink Quick Chargers are still free as of last Saturday. I was amazed at how quiet the car was, and how much more accurate the GOM is compared to my fathers 2011 Leaf. I am also really happy to have a black interior. I can't stand white/cream/beige interiors because they get dirty so fast.

My day to day drive is only 5 miles round trip, so a Leaf is much more efficient than my 2011 Altima Hybrid that I traded for it. My poor Altima got great gas mileage once it was warmed up, but a 2.5 mile trip doesn't give it a chance to get out of warm-up.

I am looking forward to having a car that I don't have to feel bad about driving!

Hello Leafers!

Greetings from the upper midwest.

We are one week into our Leafdom and still feeling good about our decision to lease a 2013 SL.

We've been trickle charging to 80% so far and typically get at range of 70 or 71 miles.

The one time we charged to 100% the range indicated 91 miles available and we haven't come close to threatening that number. We still had 18 miles left at the end or our longest excursion.

Our three kids fit comfortably in the back seat and it's been a lot of fun having our teenager explain all the digital aspects to us. :lol:

The Leaf is quite a step up from our 1999 Accord and we're learning alot reviewing this forum. Thanks!

JGPinWI said:
Hello Leafers!

Greetings from the upper midwest.

We are one week into our Leafdom and still feeling good about our decision to lease a 2013 SL.

We've been trickle charging to 80% so far and typically get at range of 70 or 71 miles.

The one time we charged to 100% the range indicated 91 miles available and we haven't come close to threatening that number. We still had 18 miles left at the end or our longest excursion.

Our three kids fit comfortably in the back seat and it's been a lot of fun having our teenager explain all the digital aspects to us. :lol:

The Leaf is quite a step up from our 1999 Accord and we're learning alot reviewing this forum. Thanks!

Welcome to the club. It is a fun car, isn't it? My boys loved all of the beeps, boops, and display items. Neither of our other cars is so geeky. The heated seats are still a big hit. Before the leaf, the kids had to fight to get a front seat in either of our other cars. But with the Leaf, they get heated seats in the back.

The kids had a blast with the fold down screen to access the CD player. For the first two weeks, they kept opening and closing that like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Enjoy!

Got a 2013 leaf from Premier Nissan in San Jose, California, on July 4th. Its a lease.
The car was "for my wife", but I figured out rapidly it made sense for whoever commuted to
drive the car, since that cuts the gas used.

The car was $189 lease on $4000 drive off expenses. With california rebate of $2500, that takes
the driveoff down to $1500. I figure it takes my $2000 approximate yearly gas cost down to $500,
so this leaf is pretty much free.

I accelerated my plan to get the leaf mainly because I found out that my company was finishing
the install of 12 level 2 chargers, and I could charge up at work. That would save me from needing
a level 2 charger immediately.

In practice, I have more than enough charge options. The level 1 charge at home has been sufficient
for my commute, and I'll be putting in the level 2 charger at home this weekend. There is a DC
charger a couple of blocks away that I tried out mostly for the fun of it.

So far, the vehicle is great. I have been using it for all tasks, and my gas truck has been sitting
at home. The car is very zippy and has more room than my ranger does in the cab. because I have
got in the habit of leaving the car charged whenever possible, errands have not been a problem.
I only got down to 10 miles left because I wanted to, so I could see how the fast charge works.

If I might brag a bit, here in California, an electric car is a guilt free experience, unlike what has
been going on in the press of late. We get between 20% to 30% of electricity entirely from
renewables, and the rest is natural gas.

Imagine what it would be like if everyone who had a second car got an electric as the second car.
the resulting drop in oil would send a shock around the world!

Scott Moore
in San Jose, CA

RonDawg said:
katie said:
Now we're researching home-charging stations and I'm hoping we get a charger at my office as I feel like I'm pushing the envelope with my commute, especially if weather is extreme.

If you have a home charging station, you should be able to get away with just trickle charging for the typical 8 or so hour workday. Workplaces are understandably reluctant to spend money for a dedicated charging station that would only benefit a small number of people, but they may be far more agreeable to simply letting you plug in to their existing 120 volt outlet.
Yes, you maybe pushing the envelope. See multiple threads on cold weather:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11506#p265550

I love this website. I got my first Leaf last month (3-weeks). I am enjoying every day drive. I am driving 62 miles round trip and it’s looking just fine. I love the ride and different look so far so good.

Cheers!!!
------------------------------
1st Leaf: 6/23/2013

I've driven my lease for a month now. In terms of charging, I have figured:

1) Charge every night. The most it costs is $3. That way, I never have to worry about running out of electricity.

2) Whenever I'm at the mall, shopping center, or gym, I would charge my car. Once again, spending $1-$2 is well worth the security of not running out of electricity.

3) There has been two times that I have needed to do a QC for 15 to 20 minutes. Ideally, I don't want to waste anytime waiting for a charge.

Other than that, I love my LEAF. Today, I drove 60 miles from Irvine to Santa Monica. Charged for 3 hours in a parking structure, than drove back home. I especially love how their are reserved parking spots for EV's. And perhaps most importantly, the total cost in electricity for today's trip was around $2-$3.

Back