The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting a blue ocean. I live in Jacksonville but had to drive to Atlanta to get it from Regal. Apparently, the State of GA has incentives that factored in favorably on my lease. Local dealers cannot match.

Plus, JAX has not caught up yet with this new trend. If you look at the PlugShare map, you will not find public chargers anywhere except at the Nissan Dealers. My employer though said that they are installing a couple of quickchargers this coming November. We'll see...

I'm still excited. Shipper said that I'll be getting it tomorrow! Woohoo! I can't wait..

JRelova said:
I'm getting a blue ocean. I live in Jacksonville but had to drive to Atlanta to get it from Regal. Apparently, the State of GA has incentives that factored in favorably on my lease. Local dealers cannot match.

As an out-of-state buyer, would you qualify for those incentives? For example, California's $2500 CVRP rebate requires that the car be registered in CA under the original buyer or lessee's name for at least the first 36 consecutive months.

I drove my Red SL off the lot Monday.

The invoice says SL + "tech package," which corresponds to the "premium package" in the USA. Not sure why the changed the name, perhaps because they made it standard on SL.

Berlino said:
I drove my Red SL off the lot Monday.

The invoice says SL + "tech package," which corresponds to the "premium package" in the USA. Not sure why the changed the name, perhaps because they made it standard on SL.

I looked at the Nissan Canada website and it makes no reference to a "tech package" for the SL. In fact, it shows no option packages for the SL at all...as you said it's all standard, including the Bose stereo (which the premium package would include here).

Now that I think about it, the S and SV models in Canada seem to have no option packages either. So, you wouldn't be able to get QC on a Canadian Leaf S, but the 6.6 kW on board charger is standard on all Canadian Leafs for 2013.

RonDawg said:
I looked at the Nissan Canada website and it makes no reference to a "tech package" for the SL.

Yes, you are right. No mention of a tech package on the site. However, this phantom package (not billed and apparently non existent) has been showing up on SL contracts across Canada. Here is part of my mine:

sDinFHZ.jpg

Note that "MET. PAINT" is mentioned and there was a $135 charge for choosing Red. Indeed, selecting any color other than black incurs a fee in Canada. The ever popular Ocean Blue adds $300 to the MSRP.

No charge is ever applied for the "TECH PKG," though. I was just speculating as to what it is supposed to mean.

Picked up my new Leaf yesterday! 2013 Blue SV with quick charge + LED and premium package. The lease on my now former ICE (2011 G37) didn't end until March, but with special offers from Nissan I had only about $2000 in negative equity, despite eight payments remaining. Even with the negative equity my payment decreased by about $40 a month and, of course, my fuel/energy bill will decrease by $100+ a month. So needless to say I'm extremely happy. I even built two trees on the way to work this morning!

Thanks for all your help in my research. Without this board I would have either not been confident enough to get a Leaf and/or I would have been very disappointed in learning some things that many of you learned the hard way. But because of the information here, I am prepared and excited for what I have gotten myself into, so to speak. I hope Nissan realizes that, regardless of some of the criticisms that appear on the board, it is a great promotional tool for the car.

I'm excited to learn all about my new gadget! Here's the only lame picture I have taken so far:
photo.JPG

Boourns said:
Picked up my new Leaf yesterday! 2013 Blue SV with quick charge + LED and premium package. The lease on my now former ICE (2011 G37) didn't end until March

From a G to a Leaf. That's a big change! Hope you enjoy the new ride. Since my other ride is an almost 10 year old Expedition, I was MOST impressed with all the geegaws and gizmos in the Leaf. My kids still get a kick out of the tilt and fold center screen (to access the CD player).

And if you're building two trees on the way to work, I'm just curious if you're getting stuck in traffic a lot. I know I build more trees if I am in stop and go traffic. I think the most I've ever built is 2. I have a friend with a Leaf whose husband works at UPS here in Atlanta. There are supposedly almost 60 Leaf drivers at UPS now (and only four chargers available...a good problem to have I guess). One guy says he has built 4 trees on a single commute. Wow!

Congrats on the new ride!

The trees are something of a gimmick IMHO... In moderate speed but constant driving, I get far less trees than I do in stop and go - or completely stopped - driving, yet my actual energy efficiency is much higher...

bronsonb said:
And if you're building two trees on the way to work, I'm just curious if you're getting stuck in traffic a lot. I know I build more trees if I am in stop and go traffic.

TomT said:
The trees are something of a gimmick IMHO... In moderate speed but constant driving, I get far less trees than I do in stop and go - or completely stopped - driving, yet my actual energy efficiency is much higher...
+1. Building trees is very inconsistent, really hard to understand the programming they're using.
It seems to love regeneration, which is NOT always more efficient. The less braking of any kind you do the better.
Has anyone ever seen the one BIG tree that someone reported happens as the most you can get in one driving session? I thought I was close one day, was nearly there when I arrived at my driveway. But after driving slowly around the neighborhood and the block for more than an hour till I got past low battery warning and was tired of driving in circles, and I never got a single BIG tree? :( :(

In Atlanta there are ads on the internet for 2 yr lease 1999 down 24 payments of 199. On Aug 10, 2013 I got my Leaf off the lot. My lease is 24 payments of 325 and 0 down. I am paying $1,700 over the ad price. Model S no option package. I have send documentation to Nissan in Tennessee about this deal I got from Capitol City Nissan. Avoid them. I love the car and have named her Sparky Dee. I started a blog, so I could vent: LorenzoAWallace.blogspot.com and the title is "Nightmare at Capitol City Nissan". At 500 miles there was an AC leak onto the floorboards. I went to AutoNation Nissan. They offered $200 for each Leaf referral that purchases. They had 8 Leafs on their lot.

SparkyD said:
In Atlanta there are ads on the internet for 2 yr lease 1999 down 24 payments of 199. On Aug 10, 2013 I got my Leaf off the lot. My lease is 24 payments of 325 and 0 down. I am paying $1,700 over the ad price. Model S no option package. I have send documentation to Nissan in Tennessee about this deal I got from Capitol City Nissan. Avoid them. I love the car and have named her Sparky Dee. I started a blog, so I could vent: LorenzoAWallace.blogspot.com and the title is "Nightmare at Capitol City Nissan". At 500 miles there was an AC leak onto the floorboards. I went to AutoNation Nissan. They offered $200 for each Leaf referral that purchases. They had 8 Leafs on their lot.

Congrats on getting the car, but if the deal from Capitol City was so bad, why did you agree to it?

SparkyD said:
What about tax?

But yeah, most dealers are awful. They do this for a living. Even if you think you got a good deal you probably didn't. This is why I'm hopeful the Tesla no dealership model takes off.

Well, I just drove my leaf (Model S + QC) to work from the dealership. Here are my observations after 45 miles or so today:

1. Quiet ride. Road noise doesn't seem bad at all. Nissan clearly worked at this. Pretty smooth ride. Decent acceleration from a stop.

2. Does take a little while to get up to highway speeds. I didn't floor it cause I wanted to be mindful of range. In the end, wasn't much of an issue. Was able to get into the 70s easily.

3. I'm 6'2'' but have longer legs than average for my height. I felt a bit cramped after a while. Cause the battery is along the floor, felt a bit high. Tried to lean seat back but was too far away from the steering wheel. Ended up driving more upright than usual. Area around the pedals felt a bit cramped.

4. The USB doesn't support playback of music unless it is an MP3 on the device. So if you use Spotify or Pandora you are out of luck. The hands free phone system worked well.

5. Eco mode required me to put more pressure on the gad peddle than I'm used to. Leg felt a bit fatigued. Model S has no cruise control. Switching to regular D mode was considerably better. I wonder if there is much of a range different on the highway between D and Eco. I'll post my results. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

6. The stereo controls on the steering wheel don't allow you to change stations, scan stations, etc., just switch inputs (cd, aux, fm1, fm2). I had to strength to get to the scan controls on the stereo and I'm a pretty tall guy. Likely an issue for short folks with shorter arms and taking your eyes off the road to change stations is a safety issue.

7. It was great plugging in at work today.

There are some things you can't figure out in a test drive, unless you do a lot of test driving. So my summary:

1. If you are a taller person, you might want to consider cruise control (need SV at a minimum).
2. Car drives really well. Doesn't feel odd or unusual cause it is an EV.
3. While I felt cramped in terms of legroom, it wasn't any worse than my wife's Honda CRV (although this isn't a model known for legroom).
4. Stereo seemed fine to me even though some folks complain about it. The poor control over the iPhone is a small disappointment. I'm going to buy one of those Bluetooth plug-in devices from Amazon to improve stereo-to-iPhone integration (they run $30-$100).

I'm coming from a Mercedes E430 which is a big car with lots of room, Bose premium stereo, etc. Before the E-class I had a BMW 328i and before that a 318i. I've never owned anything but German cars. I was spending $320/month on gas and think I spent $4k last year on maintenance and repairs. So basically, my Leaf is not only free, but once you consider lower maintenance as the money I save on the toll bridge I cross in the bay area for work everyday ($50/month) the Leaf turns a profit for me (and good for the planet is a bonus!!)

My feedback to Nissan would be the following:

1. Would be nice to have an option to get Cruise Control on the S. Cruise control is pretty standard these days and with the regen the car really slows down when you lift your foot of the peddle. There is enough with the Nav, better bluetooth, etc., on the SV to entice users who are willing to move up.

2. The steering wheel should have the ability to scan radio stations for safety.

3. Would be nice to have some Nissan approved extension bracket for the seat for taller drivers. Yes, it would kill rear room but I suspect many use this as a commuter car. Frankly, even in my E-class (and 2 BMWs before that) there was little space behind me when driving cause the seat was way back and reclined. There is some aftermarket options but I worry about voiding the warranty and safety in an accident with them.

4. Telescoping steering wheel. When I recline the seat a bit to try to carve out some extra leg room, I can't reach the top of the steering wheel. I can only reach the bottom of the wheel. Some sort of steering wheel adjust (manual would be fine) would be great and I'd pay for that.

Overall, I'm pretty psych'd about my Leaf. After 15 years of German luxury/performance cars, it will be an adjustment. I told my wife that we broke off a long term relationship with German cars. The sex was great but they were high maintenance. My wife replied, "Yes...we'll miss them but now we'll have a long term relationship with our money." :)

I also feel good about doing my part to reduce pollution and leave this world a little better for my kids. I was someone who intellectually favored EVs and the gov't dishing out rebates etc to encourage their use even though I'm politically generally not in favor of the gov't doing much. To me it is like encouraging the development of inter-state highways, in addition to the environmental, and national defense aspects (foreign oil dependence creates unpleasant entanglements).

However, despite my intellectual support for EV tech (I'm an engineer too and tend to like new tech), I pretty much viewed myself as an ICE driver for life due to my love affair with German cars. I love how they drive and as an engineer I always appreciated the German engineering and design which I consider the best in the world for autos.

This all changes a few months ago. Mostly because since moving down to the bay area from Seattle I've noticed how many more EVs there are all over the place (e.g. my neighborhood is full of them, there are plenty at work with charging stations) and I began to chat with co-workers who owned them. I slowly began to think that maybe it would make sense "one day" for me. Then I added up in my head how much I spent on gas every month (easily over $3000) and I was a bit shocked ("really - I spend that much?"). Then I heard a rattle under my car ("oh no, I just spent $3k on a repair 8 months ago - how much is this gonna cost me"). Then I started looking at the Leaf, the Focus (I can "afford" a Tesla but not where I wanted to spend my money). Within 90 days I was driving away from the dealer with a Leaf. Now my friends will ask me, and some of them will convert, etc., and the momentum will continue to build.

If I can convert, really anyone can convert. If these things get just a bit cheaper, and charging stations are a bit more available, then we will hit a real tipping point. I predict the next 18-36 months will be huge in the state of CA where adoption is high for a number of reasons.

If Tesla can come out with a smaller Model S (called the Model E I think) for $35k then I believe it is game over. Everyone who drives an Audi, BMW, etc., will want a Tesla. If Tesla or Nissan can deliver a Honda CRV/Rav4 competitor that is reasonably competitive on price with the gov't rebate, then I believe that will drive adoption. Lots of stay at home moms/dads/nannies are transporting kids from place to place all day and burn a ton of gas.

I think we're pretty close to this EV thing really popping off.

My old car died. Hadn't bought a car since 1996. And then that was on Dec 31. When I realized that the rental did not have collision insurance, because my policy didn't, I got it for $20.00 per day. I panicked. Did not check the internet. Just emailed the dealers close to my job. Capitol City answered immediately. I was stupid. And when I complained to "evcustomer support", they asked the same question, "Why did you sign the lease? Nothing like having Nissan call you "stupid" also. Panicked. Not thinking clearly. And, of course, they are better at this than I. They get you to sign some innocuous papers first. By the time the actual lease contract rolls around, you are in a signing posture. Full explanation is being posted over the next few days at: LorenzoAWallace.blogspot.com

sittingbythedock said:
6. The stereo controls on the steering wheel don't allow you to change stations, scan stations, etc., just switch inputs (cd, aux, fm1, fm2). I had to strength to get to the scan controls on the stereo and I'm a pretty tall guy. Likely an issue for short folks with shorter arms and taking your eyes off the road to change stations is a safety issue.

Are you sure the switch that control inputs on the steering wheel doesn't allow you to toggle up/down for stations? I know it does that on mine, but then again, I have a 2012 SL, not a 2013 S. Who knows what they removed from the SL to make the S.

Glad you like it overall. Telescoping steering wheel would be a nice option!

sittingbythedock said:
Eco mode required me to put more pressure on the gad peddle than I'm used to. Leg felt a bit fatigued. Model S has no cruise control. Switching to regular D mode was considerably better. I wonder if there is much of a range different on the highway between D and Eco. I'll post my results. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

That's the reason why I prefer to switch to D for "turbo boost" :lol: rather than just pressing harder on the accelerator pedal. On long uphill stretches your leg does get tired after a while.

The stereo controls on the steering wheel don't allow you to change stations, scan stations, etc., just switch inputs (cd, aux, fm1, fm2). I had to strength to get to the scan controls on the stereo and I'm a pretty tall guy. Likely an issue for short folks with shorter arms and taking your eyes off the road to change stations is a safety issue.

When in radio mode (AM/FM/XM) the toggle switches between presets, but I do agree that it would be nice for it to have a Seek function as well.

SparkyD said:
My old car died. Hadn't bought a car since 1996. And then that was on Dec 31. When I realized that the rental did not have collision insurance, because my policy didn't, I got it for $20.00 per day. I panicked. Did not check the internet. Just emailed the dealers close to my job. Capitol City answered immediately. I was stupid. And when I complained to "evcustomer support", they asked the same question, "Why did you sign the lease? Nothing like having Nissan call you "stupid" also. Panicked. Not thinking clearly. And, of course, they are better at this than I. They get you to sign some innocuous papers first. By the time the actual lease contract rolls around, you are in a signing posture. Full explanation is being posted over the next few days at: LorenzoAWallace.blogspot.com

Yeah, I think I need the full explanation. I don't see how collision insurance for $20 a day has anything to do with leasing a Leaf. Right now, what you've posted makes no sense. That's like saying, "I bought travel insurance for $40 a day but didn't realize a bagel only costs 99 cents at Linders!" Anyway, I glanced at your blog...would like some more details about why Capitol City is the bad guy here. I'm not saying they're right and you're wrong but that what you've posted doesn't really answer any questions.

And if you signed the papers, I don't know that Capitol City is at fault if you're not a good negotiator. If they aren't paying you the promised referral fee, you've got a legitimate beef there.

And what papers did they have you sign first before the lease? I guess you've learned a valuable lesson about reading what you sign. I sure hope Capitol City didn't intentionally try to do something wrong, but what would they have you sign before the lease and what did it obligate you to? Again...we need details. Thanks.

Having read Mr. Lorenzo A. Wallace's blog, I would say that paying $1,025 more than the advertised deal at another dealership is small compared to what they could have done to a "stupid" buyer. They could have hooked him in for things like extended warranties (never mind a lease up to 3 years or 36k miles is under full warranty the entire time) and maintenance agreements that will go mostly unused on an EV.

Plus if Mr. Wallace's credit is less than top tier, that extra charge can easily be explained by a higher money factor (interest rate).

The $20/day insurance premium can be stopped by simply providing your own comp/collision insurance coverage. NMAC is not in the insurance business but they do need to protect themselves in case your/their car gets wrecked or stolen.

DougIdaho said:
Hello Everyone,

My wife driving home in her new Leaf this afternoon. Her first new car in 18 years. I think it will be a perfect fit for her needs. We are very impressed with every aspect of the car so far. I am a wee bit jealous though ;) We will use my Hyundai Elantra for our long range vehicle.

Congrats! I have the same color but in a 2012. What type of interior did your wife get? Mine is the default recycled soda bottles with the special "dirt attractant" added to it. :lol: I do like the car though! I wish the range were a bit more...but that seems to be a common refrain. It gets me to 80 - 90% of the places I need to go.

Back