The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am joining the 4 Loss Bar Club. Went to 4 bars in Sept. waited until now to call in for battery diagnostic check which is scheduled for 11-12-15. I wanted the replacement to be installed in cooler weather. The Nissan rep informed me that I qualify for the Lizard Battery but the dealer needs to check it out first. Below are the numbers from LeafSpy Pro on my 2013 Leaf (02/13). Mileage is now at 31110. Hope things go as smooth as others. I live in Bermuda Dunes, CA. Near Palm Springs, same climate as Phoenix. I didn't take it in for the annual battery tests. I didn't know about it until I started reading this thread. I hope they still honor the warranty. Any thoughts?

After full charge:

SOC=91.7
SOH=60%
GID's=160 (56.9%)
Ah=36.24
kWh=12.4
Hx=53.76%
394.93v
75.7 degrees F

Doesn't look like you've had the P3227 update yet. That's the biggest hurdle you may cross as battery stats usually jump up after that is applied and takes months to settle.

That said, at 36 Ah you are well under the 4BL threshold, you probably have lost 5 bars or more?

There are two amp-hour numbers in Leaf Spy. One is the capacity in Ah the other is the current content in Ah. Be sure to use the ones from the top title area of the "Bat Sts" chart.

Ideally, a few years from now, Nissan will no longer be manufacturing 24 kWh LEAF batteries and they'll be "forced" to sell higher capacity batteries for owners of older LEAFs paying out of pocket. I'm not counting on this, but it would be nice. In the US, isn't Nissan obligated to provide replacement parts for 10 years from the date of sale of a new car?

I did take the Leaf in for a software update in 9/2013 for a charging issue, and last year on another software update. I was also told that the only thing that I needed to do was a break software update that they will do when they check on the battery. I don't know about the P3227. When did that come out? Thanks for all your input.

The Bat Sts:
AH=39.52
SOH=60%
HX=53.76%

Scubamal,

I think the P3227 software update only applies to 2011 and 2012 model years. Are you the first one to lose 4 bars with a 2013? If so, it will be interesting to see if Nissan installs a complete new lizard battery, a complete new 2013 battery, or just replaces cells to get you back above 9 bars.

Ah, missed that it was a '13. Nissan will likely install a lizard pack. It's highly unlikely that replacing cells will restore capacity above 70%.

Update: 4 wks wait and the new battery just got installed yesterday. Service rep said they do some discharge test (overnight) and my car should be ready for pickup tomorrow. They couldn't tell me where the battery was shipped from.

opencar said:
Status: Kearney Mesa Nissan (San Diego) - apparently there is no info regarding source of new batteries nor timing of shipment. 3 weeks with loaner car and waiting. Service rep stated that he has several vehicles in this situation. 4th bar lost at 50K miles, 4.5 years.

abasile said:
... In the US, isn't Nissan obligated to provide replacement parts for 10 years from the date of sale of a new car?
Has been a lot of discussion of this in other topics.
Although many people believe this, I have yet to see any clear documentation showing it to be correct.
It is probably incorrect and a myth :( :|

Newporttom said:
Newporttom said:
4 bar loser today. Don't have Leaf Spy. I had estimated my 4th bar date by a couple methods (Miles and days) by comparing to my time/mileage between 1-2 and 2-3. My most pessimistic guess was 2 Nov. Told the wife last night, " I guess my estimation was off". Then we go out this morning and it was gone. I'm pretty sure it happened at 11:59 PM. :)

Here's history:

Bar 1 - June 13, 2013 21,200 miles
Bar 2 - March 25, 2014 30,100 miles
Bar 3 - January 4, 2015 38,750 miles
Bar 4 - Nov 3, 2015 48,444 miles

Have appt with Nissan Dealer tomorrow for the battery check. Kind of disappointed, I thought I would be first replacement in Jax, but he said someone else had it done 2 weeks ago.

Car built Oct/2011

Dropped car off at dealer and they just called back saying I qualified for the new battery. I asked him how long the other guy waited for his batteries and he said " 3 and half weeks because it came from Japan"..... So we'll see. I guess worst case scenario is I'll have the new batteries by about December 1st.

Well, was quoted 3 1/2 weeks, but 8 days later got word my batteries are in. It's Thursday and we scheduled it for Monday morning.

clarke said:
Down to 8 bars. Did "100%" charge again last night...

Mfg Date: 3/11
Purchase Date: 5/11
Misc: never quick-charged

LeafSpy:

Bat Sts: AHR= 43.20
SOH = 65% 392.07V
Hx = 44.76%
odo = 38,559
3759 L1/L2s
SOC = 89.6%

172 Gids (61.2% of 281)

Had my car in at the dealers today. "Measurements" done and sent to Nissan. I'm supposed to hear back tomorrow.

Update 2: Picked up car. 295B0-3NF9E Lizard, AHr=66.14, SOH=100%, Hx=100.49%, still 4 temp sensors, #charges not reset.

opencar said:
Update: 4 wks wait and the new battery just got installed yesterday. Service rep said they do some discharge test (overnight) and my car should be ready for pickup tomorrow. They couldn't tell me where the battery was shipped from.

opencar said:
Status: Kearney Mesa Nissan (San Diego) - apparently there is no info regarding source of new batteries nor timing of shipment. 3 weeks with loaner car and waiting. Service rep stated that he has several vehicles in this situation. 4th bar lost at 50K miles, 4.5 years.

TimLee said:
abasile said:
... In the US, isn't Nissan obligated to provide replacement parts for 10 years from the date of sale of a new car?
Has been a lot of discussion of this in other topics.
Although many people believe this, I have yet to see any clear documentation showing it to be correct.
It is probably incorrect and a myth :( :|
I think you're right that it's an urban legend: http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/14049/are-auto-manufacturers-required-under-us-federal-law-to-provide-parts-for-a-set

However, as Nissan is obligated to honor warranty claims, they'll have to be prepared to replace 24 kWh batteries at least through 2023 for 2015 MY LEAFs, which all have an 8 year / 100K mile warranty on battery defects. After that, I guess we'll be depending on Nissan's good faith to continue selling replacement packs, of any size, for our older LEAFs.

On the other hand, in the not too distant future, it might be possible to buy a used LEAF with a "lizard" battery for less than the current price of a replacement pack. By 2020, that super-cheap used LEAF might even have a 30 kWh battery or larger.

Newporttom said:
Newporttom said:
Newporttom said:
4 bar loser today. Don't have Leaf Spy. I had estimated my 4th bar date by a couple methods (Miles and days) by comparing to my time/mileage between 1-2 and 2-3. My most pessimistic guess was 2 Nov. Told the wife last night, " I guess my estimation was off". Then we go out this morning and it was gone. I'm pretty sure it happened at 11:59 PM. :)

Here's history:

Bar 1 - June 13, 2013 21,200 miles
Bar 2 - March 25, 2014 30,100 miles
Bar 3 - January 4, 2015 38,750 miles
Bar 4 - Nov 3, 2015 48,444 miles

Have appt with Nissan Dealer tomorrow for the battery check. Kind of disappointed, I thought I would be first replacement in Jax, but he said someone else had it done 2 weeks ago.

Car built Oct/2011

Dropped car off at dealer and they just called back saying I qualified for the new battery. I asked him how long the other guy waited for his batteries and he said " 3 and half weeks because it came from Japan"..... So we'll see. I guess worst case scenario is I'll have the new batteries by about December 1st.

Well, was quoted 3 1/2 weeks, but 8 days later got word my batteries are in. It's Thursday and we scheduled it for Monday morning.

Well, as others have stated... dropped off car about 7:30. Never heard anything from dealer. Checked NissanConnect starting about 2 PM. About 2:30 it first connected at 8% (assume they ship batteries uncharged), and it's been creeping up ever since. 92% now and 104 miles with Climate Control off, so definitely not my old batteries. They said they'll call in A.M. after some tests.

Back