The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jrtozer said:
dhanson865 said:
jrtozer said:
Lurker here. Just dropped my 8th bar this morning! Leafspy data FWIW:

42.34 Ahr
SOH 64%
Hx 43.34
Odometer 57,380

I assume that's a 2011 Leaf? Waiting to get a free battery closer to 60,000 miles?

Yes, 2011 Leaf. No, not waiting - got approved for new battery the day after it dropped. They said the new battery might take a month to arrive...

I added your car to the wiki but didn't have a VIN, city/st, or mfg date.

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#Loss_of_four_battery_capacity_bars_.2833.75.25.29

Stanton said:
Looks like my time has come: dropped the 4th capacity bar yesterday on the way to lunch!

LeafDD Stats @full charge this morning:
SOC = 96.24%
AHr= 42.39
Hx = 43.43%
GID = 183
41k miles

Here's the stats on my new battery pack, but they should look pretty familiar to anyone with a "new" 2011/2012 Leaf:
LeafDD Stats @full charge this morning:
SOC = 93.61%
AHr= 66.14
Hx = 99.63%
GID = 281

It's obvious the "old" BMS doesn't recognize anything beyond the original capacity (66 AHr and 281 GIDs) and the SOC being < 95% suggests there's some available capacity "left on the table". I suppose that means some capacity loss will be "hidden" in the future.

Stanton said:
Firetruck41 said:
How about SOH? (as that is the % measure of battery capacity)

I believe LeafDD's equivalent of that is Hx (which is about as high as it can be).
Hmmm, never used that app. Leafspy also has an HX reading which can be significantly different than SOH (state of health, battery capacity in %). Sorry to get off track.

Firetruck41 said:
Stanton said:
Firetruck41 said:

I believe LeafDD's equivalent of that is Hx (which is about as high as it can be).
Hmmm, never used that app. Leafspy also has an HX reading which can be significantly different than SOH (state of health, battery capacity in %). Sorry to get off track.

Not an app: LeafDD is a self-contained CAN bus reader (cable/processor/display). I just leave it plugged in and wrapped around my steering wheel (stores inside the unused "key hole" of the original Leafs).

Stanton said:
Firetruck41 said:
Stanton said:

Not an app: LeafDD is a self-contained CAN bus reader (cable/processor/display). I just leave it plugged in and wrapped around my steering wheel (stores inside the unused "key hole" of the original Leafs).
Ah ha! I'm a late bloomer in these parts. :oops:

Just got my 2011 Leaf back with a new battery (covered by warranty). My amp-hours was 43.20 when it lost the fourth bar at the end of October.

New battery is 3NF9E
Its energy state is 279 GIDS (99.3%) and it has a 92.8% SOC

From LeafSpy:

Ahr=66.14
SOH=100%
394.01V
Hx=99.85
ODO: 40,0025
3937 L1/L2s

It also looks like they did not reset the charge counter. My new guess-o-meter (eco-mode mileage) is north of 90 miles, a number I have not seen for a very long time. So I am pumped.

Happy New Year indeed!

Stanton said:
Firetruck41 said:

My recollection is that "H" is an unknown number that might be related to increasing resistance as the pack ages. H does not track closely with Ah capacity (my H is currently 70% for a 55.55 Ah battery, for example). LeafDD doesn't display SOH directly but it can be estimated by dividing capacity ("C", which is in Ah) by the original capacity, often assumed to be 66.25 Ah for 2011/2012 LEAFs.

LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Wife just got home from work with the display down to 8 bars.

This was a bit of a surprise as, for the past 2 months, the normally steady decline in AHr completely stopped at 43.51.
Had it continued as it had been the previous couple of years I was expecting to hit about 43.1 right now,... close where one might expect to lose the 9th bar.
So, the timing was as-predicted, but the capacity was not

Battery deg

Start Date: 6/15/2011,... 0 miles,.... 66.25 ? AHr
12th bar lost 7/30/2013,....16,600,... 55.5 AHr (lost 10.75 in 25 months)
11th bar lost 6/10/2014,....25,200,....51.62 AHr (lost 3.88 in 12 months)
10th bar lost 3/21/2015,.....................47.36 AHr (lost 4.26 in 9 months)
9th bar lost 1/06/2016,.....................43.51 AHr (lost 3.85 in 9 months. Actually 7months as it hit 43.51 on nov 1st)
Full charge yesterday was 185 GIDs at 94.6%

43.51 is definitely on the high side of those i've heard about.

So, off to the Nissan Dealership this weekend!
[UPDATE. Jan 1th. Nissan Dealer confirmed warranty eligibility and placed battery order]

Shaun

Screenshot_2016-01-06-18-23-33

I have a 2011 SL and recently got Leaf Spy Pro to get the AHr.
It's at 9bars 44.75ahr now and I'm at 53.5k miles and till July.
We're in the SF bay area.

What are my chances of getting down to 4BL before my time's up?
If so, any suggestions to secure my chances?

Thanks!

takoyaki said:
I have a 2011 SL and recently got Leaf Spy Pro to get the AHr.
It's at 9bars 44.75ahr now and I'm at 53.5k miles and till July.
We're in the SF bay area.

What are my chances of getting down to 4BL before my time's up?
If so, any suggestions to secure my chances?

Thanks!

50/50? Drive aggressively, QC often, when not driving keep the pack charged at 100% and leave the car where it can get plenty of sunshine, keep your fingers crossed at all times.

Firetruck41 said:
No.
But it does work out to be close to % capacity.

But the LEAF Spy developer explains in another thread that to the best of everyones info it is SOH, State of Health.

Some of the confusion on the point is that an early LEAF Spy version that some people still use labeled it CAP.

% Capacity is current amp hour capacity divided by new original capacity using LEAF Spy or LEAFDD or other readers.
But not directly same as SOH.

You can officially add me to the 4 bar loser list. Lost it this morning at 41.89Ahr. Capacity has plummeted from 42.38 ( I bought it in early Dec) without any undue assistance or even touching a quick charger. SOH 63%, Hx 42.61%.
Warranty is valid until May next year. I'll book it in at the stealership sometime in the next few weeks.

Aussie said:
You can officially add me to the 4 bar loser list. Lost it this morning at 41.89Ahr.

I you made your location more specific than "TX", I might be able to recommend a dealership that's done a few battery replacements.

Stanton said:
Aussie said:
You can officially add me to the 4 bar loser list. Lost it this morning at 41.89Ahr.

I you made your location more specific than "TX", I might be able to recommend a dealership that's done a few battery replacements.

I'm in Dallas, recommendations would be fantastic. Sorry, rather new to the forum.

Aussie said:
Stanton said:
Aussie said:

I'm in Dallas, recommendations would be fantastic. Sorry, rather new to the forum.

You're in luck: I highly recommend Nissan of McKinney. I can provide names/numbers if you want to PM me, but they have a long-time Leaf tech who has replaced several Leaf battery packs (including mine last month) over the last couple of years.

Back