That Voice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankyouOB said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Menu....route.....cancel

that suspends the voice AND the route guidance.
I thought what he wanted was to keep the route guidance but not get told when to turn.

ooohhh, if that is the case, then its

menu/settings/navigation/guidance settings

from here you can turn off the voice, or simply reduce the amount of talking under the "intersection guidance" setting

jcesare said:
So back on topic... No way to change the voice?
There might be.

The Leaf Nav system is being driven by NavTech. NavTech used to (perhaps still does) make dash-top portable GPS receivers, and stored all its data and applications on an SD card.... like the one in the "B" SD card slot?

The portable receivers were actually WIN CE computers with attached GPS receivers, touch screens, and a LiPo battery, little more. You could remove the SD card and read it in your computer, copy the card to another card, and the copied card would run the receiver same as the original. (Hint: if you decide to tinker, make a copy and tinker with that, not the original.)

Along with all the applications and map data were files that contained, among other things, voice audio for phrases such as "left", "north", "ahead", "street", "exit", etc. If you really wanted, you might be able to create your own voice audio files. Unfortunately, I think this would be a partial solution at best, as the speech synthesizer wouldn't be affected by this.

There were other files on the card that might be of interest. As with desttop Windows, you could change the system start-up, and have a small windows computer. Other application I knew of included and MP3 players and picture slide show. I have no doubt about being able to load other WIN CE applications if I had any.

Feel like playing mine sweeper on your Leaf Nav unit? :roll:

thankyouOB said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Menu....route.....cancel

that suspends the voice AND the route guidance.
I thought what he wanted was to keep the route guidance but not get told when to turn.

That's how I understood the question too. I believe all you have to do is push and hold the menu button. It has a smaller label "Voice" on that button and the result is that the nav lady stops talking but still dings when you get close to your next turn. Hope that helps.

Cheers/73 Bert/KG4BEC

brettcgb said:
The Leaf Nav system is being driven by NavTech. NavTech used to (perhaps still does) make dash-top portable GPS receivers, and stored all its data and applications on an SD card.... like the one in the "B" SD card slot?
Are you confusing NavTech (which I've never heard of until now) with Navteq (http://www.navteq.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, now owned by Nokia). The latter is one of the only two leading map data providers. The other is Tele Atlas (now owned by TomTom).

cwerdna said:
brettcgb said:
Are you confusing NavTech (which I've never heard of until now) with Navteq (http://www.navteq.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, now owned by Nokia). The latter is one of the only two leading map data providers. The other is Tele Atlas (now owned by TomTom).
I might be. That sounds right.

Would love to hear it pronounce: marais des cygnes (mare duh zing....with midwest accent of course)
Will have to drive south just to laugh.

That goes along with Paola (Pay ola)

Olathe (O layth uh)

Yeah, the text to speech algorithm in the Leaf is one of the worst I have heard in a modern nav...

ksnogas2112 said:
Would love to hear it pronounce: marais des cygnes (mare duh zing....with midwest accent of course)

ksnogas2112 said:

That goes along with Paola (Pay ola)

Olathe (O layth uh)
I've noticed the Leaf navigator has problems with non-English street names, even simple ones. I live on Tonino Dr. (pronounced Toe-neen-oh). It speaks the fist syllable very quickly so all you really hear is "Nino".

TomT said:
Yeah, the text to speech algorithm in the Leaf is one of the worst I have heard in a modern nav...

ksnogas2112 said:

live in an area that has primarily NW Indian place names and you will find all NAVs have issues with pronunciation!!

Every nav system I've ever owned has had issues with the Verrazano Bridge, which comes out something like "Verrr-a-chi-ah-noh Branch". Most signs in NY use "BR" to abbreviate "Bridge", and navigation systems apparently expect "BR" to mean "Branch", not bridge. I've taken the Leaf over the Verrazano, but don't recall what the navigation said as we were going over it...I was much too focused on making sure I had enough juice to get home!

My Nuvi has a very attractive Australian female voice, but some of the mispronunciations are laughable. Sometimes it pronounces "expressway" normally, but other times, even at the same intersection, it pronounces it "Ix-pwee", obviously using an algorithm to deal with the abbreviation Xpwy commonly used on maps. Why it's not consistent I don't know. I don't need it for the Leaf, but I used it all the time in my previous car and still sometimes in our Acura, which doesn't have navigation installed.

My Garmin pronounces Dr as Doctor, every time. The first time I heard it I laughed. But now I am just like, seriously, it's a road map system.

Back