Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
You have far more patience than I do. At an average of 140 miles between SCs, I would go mental if I _had_ to stop that frequently on such a long trip, especially across the plains - after the first couple of hundred miles of cornfields, well . . . I'd consider autopilot a mandatory option and have the cruise control set at 100 mph ! I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley is bad enough, but at least you know it will only last for a few hours. :lol:
I can understand that worry. I'm not all that patient. But it wasn't the charge stops that tested my patience. It was the usual stuff that gets you in an ICE car as well:
Slow downs from road construction (all of Ohio seems to be under construction) and traffic were the usual stressors.

I guess one of the points of my posts was that the prospects for charging were never an issue. No added stress from that.
No broken chargers, easy to find and vacant spots.
Other mitigating factors:
The car is ideal for cruising.
I had lots of tunes and stories for the road. My dog was usually happy to get out and discharge around the time I needed to charge. I had a lot going on at work and often didn't have enough time at charge stops to get through my emails or connect with people about work stuff.
As Zythryn says, the breaks worked out well to keep me rested. I never got road fatigue even with an occasional long stretch (Cleveland to OKC is ~1200 mi). At a couple of stops, I just put the seat back and dozed off.

I used AirBnB both ways and found it delightful. Once I had made up my mind where my next stop was likely to be, I could book a place from my phone, just a few hours before. Of course I had the benefit of traveling during the off-season.

The upshot is I left Vermont on Monday and arrived home on Friday. That's a reasonable trip time for an ICE, IMO.
Made a few stops like Niagara Falls and Rock and Roll Hall of fame. Never felt restricted by the need for electricity.

sparky said:
GRA said:
You have far more patience than I do. At an average of 140 miles between SCs, I would go mental if I _had_ to stop that frequently on such a long trip, especially across the plains - after the first couple of hundred miles of cornfields, well . . . I'd consider autopilot a mandatory option and have the cruise control set at 100 mph ! I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley is bad enough, but at least you know it will only last for a few hours. :lol:
I can understand that worry. I'm not all that patient. But it wasn't the charge stops that tested my patience. It was the usual stuff that gets you in an ICE car as well:
Slow downs from road construction (all of Ohio seems to be under construction) and traffic were the usual stressors.

I guess one of the points of my posts was that the prospects for charging were never an issue. No added stress from that.
No broken chargers, easy to find and vacant spots.

<snip>

The upshot is I left Vermont on Monday and arrived home on Friday. That's a reasonable trip time for an ICE, IMO.
Made a few stops like Niagara Falls and Rock and Roll Hall of fame. Never felt restricted by the need for electricity.
It's been a long time (h'mm, 23 years?!) since I did a long out-of-state driving trip, and having internet access now would at least give me something to do at the mandatory stops that I wouldn't otherwise take. OTOH, when I'm on vacation it's generally to some outdoor area, and I disconnect - the last thing I want to do on such trips is spend more time starting at a screen ;)

Still, 750 miles/day would be easy now with the current speed limits (still had the universal 65 last time I did a road warrior trip), and 1,000 would be almost routine (instead of a marathon) if I needed to get somewhere, where the main limit on my driving time is my bladder capacity. :lol:

GRA said:
Still, 750 miles/day would be easy now with the current speed limits (still had the universal 65 last time I did a road warrior trip), and 1,000 would be almost routine (instead of a marathon) if I needed to get somewhere, where the main limit on my driving time is my bladder capacity. :lol:
So, is your point that unless you can do 1000 mi in 14 hours you feel penalized?
That would allow you a total of 40 mins stopping or four 10-min stops over the whole trip (75 mph). Personally, if I'm in a hurry to go over 400 mi, I fly.
How fast and how far would an electric car need to charge and travel per charge in order to not feel penalized? For me, Tesla has almost perfected the trade with the S90. Perhaps adding 20% range and 50% charge rate would leave me without a perceptible need for improvement. Both of those seem very feasible in the near future.

There will be people for whom the network is good enough now and for some it won't be enough until a few people they know start relying on it.

Take a look at Japan. They have a very high density of QC. But EV share is still low. Why ?

sparky said:
GRA said:
So, is your point that unless you can do 1000 mi in 14 hours you feel penalized?
That would allow you a total of 40 mins stopping or four 10-min stops over the whole trip (75 mph). Personally, if I'm in a hurry to go over 400 mi, I fly.
For business I agree that flying's the way to go, and it's one reason why I've thought that Tesla was wrong to be emphasizing long interstate routes instead of access to regional destinations early in the SC deployment, as anyone with the money to afford a Model S/X will fly for business once beyond a few hundred miles.

sparky said:
How fast and how far would an electric car need to charge and travel per charge in order to not feel penalized? For me, Tesla has almost perfected the trade with the S90. Perhaps adding 20% range and 50% charge rate would leave me without a perceptible need for improvement. Both of those seem very feasible in the near future.
I've been saying for a few years now that a guaranteed 4 hours at the interstate speed limit (or 5 above, the way most people drive) at 32-110 deg. F, with allowances for HVAC use, headwinds, elevation gain plus a reserve is the point at which BEVs would be acceptable to most people to replace ICEs on trips, assuming no more than a 45 minute charge before repeating the process (15 minutes or less would be preferred). Everything beyond four hours range is gravy, but shortening the charge time is more important. Since 6 western states (soon to be joined by a 7th, SD), have 80 mph rural interstate speed limits, and all of the rest but two have 75 mph limits, that requires at least 350 miles of range (320 miles plus 30 mile reserve), with allowances as above. Oh, and that's for the life of the car or at least 15 years, so you'd have to divide by at least 0.7 to get the required range when new. That implies that the highest priority battery R&D other than reducing cost, should be devoted to decreasing charging time and increasing usable SoC (both without increasing degradation) as well as slowing or eliminating degradation, instead of improvements to specific energy and energy density. Improvements in heating/cooling efficiency and insulation should also have a very high priority.

Taking the S85 as the base, according to Tesla at 32 deg. and 70 mph with the heat on the car has a max. range (with a range charge, something you don't want to do on a regular basis) of 219 miles, versus 252 miles at 70 mph with no HVAC. Since the difference in its range for every 5 mph appears to be about 20 miles when using heat at 32 deg. (65 mph @ 32 deg. w/heat = 239 miles; 60 mph @ 32 deg. w/heat = 260 miles), let's apply the same factor to 75 and 80 mph, which gives us a max. range under the same conditions of 199 miles @ 75 mph, and 179 miles @ 80 mph, call it 180. While the drag rise is steeper at higher speeds, the car is also heating the cabin for a shorter period of time, so lacking Tesla-provided data for speeds over 70 mph (they should provide it, but apparently they're afraid that would drive customers away) it's better than nothing.

Okay, taking 180 miles as our baseline (and that's with no allowances for headwinds or elevation gain), what would we need to get to 350? Well first of all, 180 is with a 100% charge, and that's not something that's good for the battery, so let's use a normal charge to 90%: 180 x .9 = 162 miles. Then, since batteries degrade, and we want to know the end of life range, we need to multiply by 0.7: 162 x .7 = 113 miles. Then we'd need 350/113 miles = 3.1 times the 85's battery pack capacity (assuming no changes in weight or volume), or 85 x 3.1 = 263.5 kWh. Of course, the charge taper starts at 80% not 90%, so if we want 30 minute charging we'd need even more capacity.

Just for comparison, the 15.9 gallons of gas that my Forester's tank holds is equivalent to almost 536 kWh (1 U.S.G. = 33.7 kWh per EPA).

The S85 apparently has a usable capacity of 75 or 76 kWhs, so boosting the usable SoC can buy us some improvement, but the real killer is the 0.7 to allow for degradation, along with the 0.9 for battery longevity or the 0.8 for charging time, and the 30+ miles for heating - reducing or eliminating those will have the largest effect of all on required pack size, and thus cost. Alternatively, the cost of batteries needs to be brought down enough to allow for a reasonably-priced mid-life pack replacement, which will also shrink the required size of the pack.

As of 12/7/15, Augusta, ME (1st use 12/3) with 8 stalls is listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 44/238/1,596.

This is the first new state with an SC since March, when Iowa and Oklahoma opened SCs on the same day. There are now just 4 states without SCs in the contiguous 48: Arkansas; Mississippi; Nebraska; North Dakota.

Current list showing all SCs open as of 1/1/15 and subsequent, and full list showing all SCs open from 1/14, can be found here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9111&start=1020

Site with a map showing all SCs open, under construction or permitted plus lots of other stuff can be found here:

http://supercharge.info/

Nice little jump today. Asheville, NC is very close per the pictures.

kEQScPm.png

Graphic of permitted / in construction via http://supercharge.info/
0MKyEF1.png

I don't get the Supercharger station under construction in Colorado Springs; the north side of Pueblo would seem a much better location to facilitate travel on I-25. Unless the CS location is associated with a future service center or showroom, it makes no sense to me.

dgpcolorado said:
I don't get the Supercharger station under construction in Colorado Springs; the north side of Pueblo would seem a much better location to facilitate travel on I-25. Unless the CS location is associated with a future service center or showroom, it makes no sense to me.
This was discussed a bit on TMC, and my personal opinion is that while Pueblo provides better spacing, there's likely a lot more traffic coming south from the Denver area and turning west onto U.S. 24 or southwest onto S.R. 115 to join U.S. 50, than coming up from Albuquerque and doing likewise. Ultimately, to provide the same flexibility as gas stations give an ICE, you want SCs in both cities, plus Walsenburg and Raton. Another issue is where will the SCs eventually be on U.S. 50 east: La Junta, Lamar or both?

GRA said:
This was discussed a bit on TMC, and my personal opinion is that while Pueblo provides better spacing, there's likely a lot more traffic coming south from the Denver area and turning west onto U.S. 24 or southwest onto S.R. 115 to join U.S. 50, than coming up from Albuquerque and doing likewise. Ultimately, to provide the same flexibility as gas stations give an ICE, you want SCs in both cities, plus Walsenburg and Raton. Another issue is where will the SCs eventually be on U.S. 50 east: La Junta, Lamar or both?
I guess I don't buy those arguments. I-25 is the major north south corridor and US 50 and US 24 are basically local driving routes. US 50 east bound from I-25 is little used; it is completely different from US 50 in California, a major, heavily traveled, route to South Lake Tahoe. Eventually a Supercharger station in the Salida/Poncha Springs area would be needed to open up the central mountains, which get a lot of traffic. But that's pretty low priority compared to opening major routes in other areas of the country.

I suppose the Colorado Springs location was intended to facilitate traffic to and from Denver over Monument Hill, but that rise is nothing compared to driving through the mountains on I-70. With the CS location they will need another on the way to Trinidad to finish out that segment of I-25. Seems like a waste.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
I guess I don't buy those arguments. I-25 is the major north south corridor and US 50 and US 24 are basically local driving routes. US 50 east bound from I-25 is little used; it is completely different from US 50 in California, a major, heavily traveled, route to South Lake Tahoe. Eventually a Supercharger station in the Salida/Poncha Springs area would be needed to open up the central mountains, which get a lot of traffic. But that's pretty low priority compared to opening major routes in other areas of the country.

I suppose the Colorado Springs location was intended to facilitate traffic to and from Denver over Monument Hill, but that rise is nothing compared to driving through the mountains on I-70. With the CS location they will need another on the way to Trinidad to finish out that segment of I-25. Seems like a waste.
I agree that 50 (and U.S. 160) westbound should be a higher priority than 50 eastbound, but they might as well look ahead and figure out what they want to do down the road, as that may save them some time/money. They'll eventually want SCs in Poncha Springs (maybe Canon City too), Gunnison, and Montrose on 50 west, and Alamosa (maybe Ft. Garland too), South Fork, Pagosa Springs, Durango, and Cortez on 160 .

As of 12/15/15, Burbank, CA with 6 stalls is listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 44/239/1,602.

Current list showing all SCs open as of 1/1/15 and subsequent, and full list showing all SCs open from 1/14, can be found here:

Site with a map showing all SCs open, under construction or permitted plus lots of other stuff can be found here:

[Updated] As of 12/17/15, Asheville, NC (1st use 12/16) with 8 stalls, and Lexington, VA. (1st use 12/16) with 6 stalls are listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 44/241/1,616.

As of 12/18/15, Tannersville, PA (1st use 12/14) with 8 stalls is listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 44/242/1,624.

I was showing a friend my Tesla at a picnic on Saturday, and SURPRISE!, I saw that the Plantation, FL SC is now open! That opens up Miami, the Everglades, and the Florida Keys to me.

keydiver said:
I was showing a friend my Tesla at a picnic on Saturday, and SURPRISE!, I saw that the Plantation, FL SC is now open! That opens up Miami, the Everglades, and the Florida Keys to me.
This is kind of an in-between case - although it's showing in the car's nav it's still not listed or mapped on Tesla's SC page, but I've been checking it regularly since the first use was announced on TMC on the 19th, and will add it as soon as it's on the 'official' site; I'll list Port Hope ditto. In the meantime, Plantation seems to be getting a fair amount of use, but then so did Cadillac, which was then shut down before ever being listed/mapped owing to power quality issues, and still hasn't appeared on either Car Nav or web page while they work out the problems.

As of 12/21/15, Plantation, FL (1st use 12/19) with 8 stalls is listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 44/243/1,632.

As of 12/21/15, Port Hope, ON (1st use 12/20) with 8 stalls is listed and mapped. Total Canadian SCs 4/16/90.

This is the first Canadian SC to commission since April.

Back