Tesla CPO site live!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
minispeed said:
I imagine the model X will be the first big crash of the used model S prices. There have got to be a few people with money driving an S now just because the X isn't out yet.
I agree that the release of the Model X will likely trigger another significant drop in used Model S prices, perhaps similar to the drop associated with the introduction of the 'D'. After all, we North Americans generally do prefer SUVs/CUVs over large sedans. The word "crash" seems a bit strong, however.

While our family would prefer a Model X and AWD, we are now thinking the wisest decision financially (given that I want to leave the ICE age and Tesla offers the only spacious, long-range BEVs on the market) will be to purchase a used, 2013/2014 2WD S-85 next year or so. Then, after some of the earlier Model X vehicles have had at least 2-3 years to depreciate, accompanied by additional S/X depreciation when the Model 3 starts selling, perhaps we will add an 'X' to our family stable and keep both the 2011 LEAF and a Model S as well.

I like the idea of being able to purchase a used vehicle directly from Tesla. This is good for Tesla in terms of increasing revenue and good for buyers.

I get the impression that the Model X and Model S are going to be sitting together in the same household for many buyers.

Just picked up a fine CPO for significant discount off new.

You might be finding these Tesla's in the same driveway as a shorter range commuter EV, like my Smart ED. :)

Cheapest one in Seattle is 69k. After taxes that would be 76k.

To tempt me the price has to be quite a bit lower.

evnow said:

I've never understood this, as the CPO prices are pretty high, considering you don't get the tax rebates anymore. I almost suspect Tesla is buying used cars and artificially inflating their price to keep the perceived value high.

epirali said:
evnow said:

I've never understood this, as the CPO prices are pretty high, considering you don't get the tax rebates anymore. I almost suspect Tesla is buying used cars and artificially inflating their price to keep the perceived value high.

A quick look at this one shows it is a fully loaded P85 with only 12,000 miles. Originally it probably cost around $110k. Currently it really isn't comparable as the P is no longer made. Closest option may be the 85D, with 21" wheels, pano roof, carbon fibre, etc. that would probably clock in at about $100k.
These are reasonably priced, although still more than some can afford.

I have seen some as low as $45k-$50k. They tend to get bought pretty darn quick so they don't show often.

evnow said:

Does it have to be Seattle? You could buy one anywhere in the USA and enjoy a road trip to get it home. Hard to do for many with work schedules to consider, I suppose.

It will be interesting to see if the CPO prices drop over the next few years, especially when the Model 3 launch approaches.

Given the so-so reliability of these cars the biggest scare for me of a used Tesla is repair costs. Sure, there is the CPO warranty, but with my driving it will be gone in 2.5 years. There are multiple reports of Tesla motor failures, how much will to cost to replace one out of pocket? I also suspect out of warranty Tesla resale values will tank.

Valdemar said:
Given the so-so reliability of these cars the biggest scare for me of a used Tesla is repair costs. Sure, there is the CPO warranty, but with my driving it will be gone in 2.5 years. There are multiple reports of Tesla motor failures, how much will to cost to replace one out of pocket? I also suspect out of warranty Tesla resale values will tank.

I don't think they have a widespread motor issue anymore, and some of it may have been fixed with firmware that "curves" the power. And honestly only things that I would worry about are the door handles and battery.

Zythryn said:
I have seen some as low as $45k-$50k. They tend to get bought pretty darn quick so they don't show often.
Currently cheapest is $57k - all locations, a P60. That price is close to P60 after tax credit when new. Probably costlier than what it would have cost If I had bought a P60 (since there wouldn't have been sales tax).

One thing to consider is - we need to add 7.5k at the price when comparing to MSRP when new.

The only S's that have come down quite a bit from MSRP are the fully loaded 85s. There will probably be a floor on the price of an S for quite sometime.

epirali said:
... the CPO prices are pretty high, considering you don't get the tax rebates anymore. I almost suspect Tesla is buying used cars and artificially inflating their price to keep the perceived value high.
To be fair to Tesla, CPO prices for all vehicle are higher than retail or private party sales prices.

IMO, you can get a better idea of typical (~10% lower than CPO?) used S prices by watching EBAY completed sales, though remember that not all of EBAY's reported sales are legit.

evnow said:
One thing to consider is - we need to add 7.5k at the price when comparing to MSRP when new.

And up to $4,000 if you're in CA :)

california-rebate-edit-4.jpg

evnow said:
The only S's that have come down quite a bit from MSRP are the fully loaded 85s. There will probably be a floor on the price of an S for quite sometime.
Yep. If you're like me and you'd like a number of options, then buying used is a great way to save money. I'd ideally like an 85 kWh vehicle with third row seats, tech package, dual chargers, air suspension, and pano roof. Hopefully, by the time we're ready to buy, we'll be able to find something for $50K or not too much more.

I used this app to find a CPO S85 with Tech Package, Panoramic roof, High Fidelity sound and air suspension for a big discount off new.
http://ev-cpo.com/index.php

I thought it would be another year before I'd be in a Tesla, but the price was right, and life is too short, YOLO.

http://gas2.org/2015/08/20/cheapest-tesla-model-s-yet/

One lucky hustler from Ohio may now hold claim to the cheapest Tesla Model S via the CPO program (or anywhere). “HustleSimmons” got a 2013 Tesla Model S with just 20,000 miles, Supercharger access, and a number of other add-ons for a bargain price of US $42,900.

Stunning. Well equipped car with 4 year warranty,

Back