Steal Your Battery program: Any news? Hello Nissan?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
edatoakrun said:
There will probably be multiple market opportunities for used LEAF Batteries.
What about someone building a "frame" to hold used modules for home solar storage? We've heard this suggested, wondering if there's any change we could see it soon.

Also, I am guessing that the Leaf battery with it's individual modules is better suited to this sort of repurposing than the Tesla pack.

a tesla pack could very well not be able to function without its TMS. that would greatly add complexity to the system

DaveinOlyWA said:
a tesla pack could very well not be able to function without its TMS. that would greatly add complexity to the system
See the Solar City Home Energy Storage page
http://www.solarcity.com/residential/energy-storage.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our battery systems are currently offered in selected California markets. We hope to offer the service nationwide by the end of the year.

Tesla's long history of research and development has enabled a cost-effective, wall-mounted storage appliance that is small, powerful and covered by a long lasting full 10 year warranty.

Yeah, but that's different, that's home storage with new cells. The hope with the spent nissan modules is (was?) you could build such a system on the cheap.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Yeah, but that's different, that's home storage with new cells. The hope with the spent nissan modules is (was?) you could build such a system on the cheap.
I think it would be great if Nissan would do this. Take the used pack break it down into modules and assemble them into 48 volt packs instead. Sell them at a reasonable price and I would be one of their first customers.

Right now I have an off grid system with lead acid golf cart batteries. These things are expensive and a PIA to water.

As for the promise to give as a price soon, I am still waiting :cry:

KJD said:
...I think it would be great if Nissan would do this. Take the used pack break it down into modules and assemble them into 48 volt packs instead. Sell them at a reasonable price and I would be one of their first customers.

Right now I have an off grid system with lead acid golf cart batteries. These things are expensive and a PIA to water...

I wouldn't count on Nissan doing this, but I expect many other's probably will.

The high production rates and passive thermal management design of LEAF battery packs insure there will be large quantities of low cost used modules, with a large percentage of their original capacity remaining, for decades to come.

As I posted earlier, many of these modules will probably find there way into "rebuilt" or "reconditioned" battery packs, but many will find there way into stationary applications.

So, one way or another, I expect my LEAF's battery pack to remain in use for at least another 10 years, and expect to get a significant amount of $ for it whenever I decide to sell it or trade it in.

I doubt there will nearly as strong a market for the resale of Tesla or "compliance BEV" batteries, due to their ATM dependent design, and/or limited production levels.

cwerdna said:
Maybe there should be a poll (at minimum) as to when Nissan will announce the price?
Can a paying member start a poll as to when they think Nissan will announce a date? Non-paying members apparently can't... :roll:

I think there should be some date ranges along with June 19th and June 20th (end of spring). I would imagine the time/date zone we should be using is one within the US.

GRA said:
Are we at the point where we should do a Letterman-style "Top Ten Reasons Nissan has Yet to Announce an Installed Battery Price" list?

There is only one reason.

Nissan has Yet to Announce an Installed Battery Price because it doesn't have to.

The longer Nissan waits, the more information it can gather about the optimum battery/vehicle price relationship to maximize profits from its huge investment in BEVs.

GRA said:
Are we at the point where we should do a Letterman-style "Top Ten Reasons Nissan has Yet to Announce an Installed Battery Price" list?

10 - There is no battery in a LEAF. They have mastered harnessing the energy from gerbils, and don't want PETA to find out.
9 - The battery is actually ridiculously cheap and they don't want us to find out since we all paid $30K plus for the car.
8 - They are waiting until the exchange rate with Tennessee is more favorable before announcing the price.
7 - It's not possible to even replace the battery in a LEAF.
6 - Andy's dog ate the battery price announcement.
5 - Andy's dog ate all of the batteries.
4 - Battery replacements will only be available in other countries than the US. We'll have to go to Canada to get our battery replaced.
3 - Andy forgot.
2 - They have a new battery chemistry that they are not yet ready to announce that allows for 100 kWh in the same space.
1 - They are just going to give us a free battery replacement when our battery dies.

(this is just meant to be stupid and maybe slightly humorous) :lol:

I heard from one man who works for Nissan in Europe, that they build new battery in Sunderland (UK) and planned that it will be ready this spring, but they has some difficulties and new battery is still not ready.

So it seems that they planned to announce (this spring) a price for NEW BATTERY, that can be of cause replaced to old Leafs, but failed to make this new battery till spring. So we just need to wait for new battery announcement and then we will also know the price. There will be no price for OLD/CURRENT battery. And that seems very reasonable. If they are really planning to make new battery soon, so why care about old one? It is very logical to leave old as it without any official price. Nobody will change to old when new will be available.

Den said:
So it seems that they planned to announce (this spring) a price for NEW BATTERY, that can be of cause replaced to old Leafs, but failed to make this new battery till spring. So we just need to wait for new battery announcement and then we will also know the price. There will be no price for OLD/CURRENT battery.
Interesting, so he was suggesting that Nissan is planning on an upgrade to the current battery chemistry? I wonder if that is why there has been a delay in producing batteries in Tennessee as well... I think that would be a welcome surprise for everyone.

mirko said:
GRA said:

10 - There is no battery in a LEAF. They have mastered harnessing the energy from gerbils, and don't want PETA to find out.
9 - The battery is actually ridiculously cheap and they don't want us to find out since we all paid $30K plus for the car.
8 - They are waiting until the exchange rate with Tennessee is more favorable before announcing the price.
4 - Battery replacements will only be available in other countries than the US. We'll have to go to Canada to get our battery replaced.
3 - Andy forgot.
2 - They have a new battery chemistry that they are not yet ready to announce that allows for 100 kWh in the same space.
1 - They are just going to give us a free battery replacement when our battery dies.

very well done.

mirko said:
GRA said:

made me smile. thanks. +1

Great Job On The List And Thought For Sure The #1 Reason Would Be "Waiting For The New Costco Coupon Book"

mirko said:
GRA said:

3 - Andy forgot.

gbarry rocks.
but some of us are impatient and some of us are cynical and some of us want to know and some of us want Andy to know that we are waiting.

Well, it is obvious they don't want anyone to know what the battery costs. So then we have to ask ourselves why? Some possible reasons I can come up with:
  • The battery is much cheaper than we all thought, thus Nissan reveals how much profit they are making on the rest of the car.
  • The battery is much more expensive than we thought, thus making potential buyers scared of the vehicle for fear of needing to replace the battery. Even though the battery has a decent warranty on it, you know that Faux News will run a story showing how expensive the batteries are to be replaced in the Leaf, which will need to be replaced every year, of course.
  • Perhaps they don't plan on using this chemistry of battery more than another year or two and figure that by the time anyone wants to buy a new battery, it will be of a different type and thus any price they give now is moot. And, of course, if this newer battery has a much larger capacity, people might stop buying the current leaf in anticipation of the better battery.
  • Perhaps they want to give a good price for the battery replacement that is at or below manufacture cost in order to give peace of mind to consumers who are thinking of buying the car. But they don't want to risk other people buying the batteries to use in home-built EVs or competitor products.

Personally, I'm betting the battery will cost around $6,000. I'm thinking $4,000 at the absolute minimum and $8,000 at the maximum.

Back