State inspection costs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dznit

Are State inspection costs the same for Leaf as an ICE?

Look's that way in Texas! An air polution test is required!

You're assuming states even do an inspection. What state are you in?

I've never lived in any except that have inspections other than ones that require smog checks. My car is currently exempt from that (in CA). http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; lists other types of vehicles that are exempt from that.

Texas.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty archaic that a smog check would be needed on an EV. Are you sure?

Of course, this is Texas we're talking about. When are you guys going to secede anyhow? Pretty certain the rest of us would be better off. ;)

Smog checks? Man, things have changed. The last time I had a car inspected in Texas during the late 50's, it was almost a sure thing that you would have to pay for a headlight aiming adjustment.

Maybe the Pennsylvania guys can add, but they used to have a pretty tough inspection program. There, you almost always needed king pins replaced.

Same as an ICE here in Virginia. Luckily I have free inspections with the car for life at Hall Nissan. I think it is funny when I look in the glove box and see check marks by air filter, muffler, etc... Ah well they have to make their money somehow. At least the dealership itself has a new inspection report tailored for the Leaf.

On this page, all gasoline powered cars must have emission testing in various counties / areas,
(including Houston area). Now I have to convince my inspection guy that the test (& cost)
does not apply to a BEV! He states he still has to hook up to computer to verify proper compliance to keep his state license. I still have a few months till inspection.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/CostOfInsp.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get a kick everytime I look at it. Guess the cost was $16. Have no idea though cause it wasn't broken out in my purchase contract. Guess I will get another one when I take it in for the battery check in March.

IMG-1_zpsa7a6ebda.jpg

Tennessee is changing the on-line registration renewal procedure to include all-electric vehicles. At present the driver must go to the local county office and get the next year's tags. There is no "inspection" requirement for the Leaf. The Volt and other hybrids with an ICE require the inspection, which is $10.00. Our inspections are conducted by a State Contractor so there is no hanky-panky with "ya need new thingies on this here thang!" like it used to be here.

Oh, BTW, there are still some folks here who CAN dance the Hanky-Panky, if you are ancient enough.

Dave

I wish California would have a mandatory inspection, other than a smog check. Maybe this would get some of the real junkers off the road. :mrgreen:

PA has safety inspections as well as emissions inspections. Normally cars in this area are required to have both a safety inspection sticker as well as an emissions test sticker. However, the LEAF only needs the safety inspection. Apparently the police are wise to the fact that the LEAF doesn't need an emissions sticker; I've never been pulled over. I wondered if an exemption sticker was required for the emissions test, but the DMV said no.

My annual inspection is due in February. I think it is free from my dealer since I got the car there... They'll probably charge for the battery test, etc...

Back