State funded College charging stations. Any examples?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dznit

One college president stated there are some legal issues regarding providing electricity free of charge.
(since college is state/tax supported)

There is the ever present danger of misappropriation of State Funds.
Some would view "free electricity" as theft!

So... how could a charging station be operated on campus without raising eyebrows?

Any examples?

Thanks!

hmmm UT Dallas is in the process of installing Blink chargers, but I don't know if they will be free or not (most likely they will be free since all the Blink chargers in DFW have been free) since they have not been completely installed yet.

dznit said:
So... how could a charging station be operated on campus without raising eyebrows?
The Chargepoint network charging stations can be set up to be free, charge by the hour, or charge by the KWh. If there was a reasonable charge that paid for the electricity, plus the capital cost over time, that shouldn't cause problems.

See http://www.mychargepoint.net/find-stations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dznit said:

Have it paid for using a different budget such as part of the Student Union dues or some such.
There are other facilities that dole out services as needed such as the on campus medical clinic.
Plenty of other programs where money goes to a select few students.... such as sports teams?
Just takes approval of the program and it would seem good to go.

I could see a valid student card to be required.

Infrastructure cost is a high hurdle to start but I think the cost of electric is so minute it will cost more just to keep track of it.
I wonder what the electric bill for 20,000 student campus actually runs? I never noticed instructors turning the lights off as they left the class for the day..... unless something has really changed. Certainly better air conditioning controls would save more juice than the fleet of EVs ever use.
JMHO

Since most campuses charge for parking permits, I would think that an EV sticker for the permit could be issued for a small additional charge...or maybe just paying for the EVSEs from the general parking revenues would be sufficient.

dznit said:
One college president stated there are some legal issues regarding providing electricity free of charge.

Any examples?

Thanks!
Here's a great example:
http://www.pdx.edu/electricavenue/

City of Portland charges regular rates for on-street parking, Portland State University provides electricity and charging stations at no cost.

Here's another example. The University of Maryland, a state university, installed five ChargePoint stations on campus in February. All five stations are in visitor lots and can be used by the public. The stations are free to use, and are free to park at. In the future, the stations could be set to collect a fee through the standard ChargePoint interface, if desired.

http://www.transportation.umd.edu/chargingstation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are many approaches for cost recovery if there is a will.

I park my leaf at Cal State Los Angeles just east of downtown regularly. No costs, no drama and there are two charges next to the engineering building installed by Coloumb.

I have the contact name for the person in the department that spearheaded this. PM me for his contact info. They are also building a true hydrogen filling station about 200 feet away.

http://carstations.com/8652" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/ppa/spotlight/archive/2011/evchargingstations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/vseaman/Hydrogen_Station.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smkettner said:
dznit said:
Have it paid for using a different budget such as part of the Student Union dues or some such.
This is a viable and common solution. There are many activities taking place at state-funded institutions which are not strictly education-oriented and have been traditionally excluded from state funding. Housing and dining services for resident students is probably the largest such activity at most institutions, but parking is often the second biggest. At UCSD, the charging stations are rolled into the Parking and Transportation Services operation, which is a self-supporting auxiliary enterprise on campus. Parking in the UC system is strictly ineligible for any state funding by the UC master plan, so staff, faculty, students and visitors have always had to pay for the privilege of parking on campus. These fees fund the construction and maintenance of parking lots, structures, administration and enforcement costs, and also alternatives to onsite parking (carpools, shuttles, mass transit, etc.) The EV charging initiative is a pittance of the total cost of this operation at this point in time, but may grow in the future to be a separate line item with an additional cost, who knows? Currently, if you pay for a parking permit, you can use the chargers for free. They are participating in the EV project, and have plans for 50 EVs and charging stations as part of the Smart City San Diego initiative.I don't know what provisions will be made for public use of their charging stations in the future, that is still unclear, but it is certainly part of their stated intention.

I wonder what the electric bill for 20,000 student campus actually runs? I never noticed instructors turning the lights off as they left the class for the day..... unless something has really changed. Certainly better air conditioning controls would save more juice than the fleet of EVs ever use.
Having retired from a career in facilities management at UCSD, this is a subject with which I am very familiar. UC San Diego’s current undergraduate enrollment is 23,143. Current graduate enrollment is 4,274. State funding for education is, in fact, a very limited part of the UCSD budget. As a research institution, it represents less than 12% of the total annual revenues of $2.4 billion, while 23% comes from the federal government for research. There are approximately 26,000 employees supporting both the research and education functions, so the whole campus represents an enterprise on the scale of a small city of over 50,000 people. Obviously, the planned 50 charging stations (of which only a few are currently installed) are a miniscule part of the electricity use.

The utilities budget for the campus is in the neighborhood of $47M annually, which is a huge percentage of the annual budget for operating and maintaining the entire physical plant of some 13,000,000 sq. ft. of classroom, office and lab space. The only reason it is this low is because of a concerted effort that has been made over the last two decades to achieve savings through efficiency and conservation. These efforts include a very efficient co-generation plant (combined heat and power) added in 2001 that supplies 85% of the campus electricity needs and up to 95 percent of its heating and cooling needs through very clean gas turbine generation, combined with thermal energy storage to offset peak demands, saving 3-6 megawatts per day, as well as 1.2 megawatts of photovoltaic solar capacity (soon to be doubled). They have taken advantage of many utility incentives and federal grants to accomplish a lot of this work, with revenue bond funds supplying most of the rest, rather than state education funding. For example, a $2 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy is helping install the world’s first microgrid master controller and related optimizer application at UCSD. When fully operational, the Smart Grid will function as a virtual power plant, scheduling energy self-generation, electricity imports and electric and thermal storage while factoring in the demand load and the variable price of electricity to buy or sell.

On the demand side, conservation has been achieved through education of campus users, centralized "smart" control of lighting and HVAC systems, retrofitting of older, less efficient lighting fixtures and appliances, and applying the latest efficiency and sustainability features to new building projects. See http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/general/11-09Energy.asp and http://sustainability.ucsd.edu/ for details.

More than you ever wanted to know, probably. :D
TT

Yea, sadly your school's leadership is talking out of his/her own ignorance, pride, and insecurity. We've charged at both UCLA as well as Pasadena city college. Your school leader evidently has shame issues - where (s)he can't acknowledge it's ok to admit you don't know stuff. That's why they couldn't simply say "iduno, why don't you look into it for me". That's too bad.

ttweed said:
charging stations (of which only a few are currently installed)

Tom - I've seen only the pedestal Blink just north of the old bookstore building, east of Center Hall in an explicitly reserved spot which normally has a campus-owned Leaf in it, and no reach to any other parking spots. Are there any others that are actually accessible?

wsbca said:
Are there any others that are actually accessible?
Not really... :( My wife has discovered two more over at the Campus Service Complex, one by the mailroom and one down the lot by the electric shop, across from the gas pump for fleet cars. There may be another couple in the fleet services area, but generally, none are actually accessible, since the parking spots around them are designated as Service Yard or Zip car parking only at this point in time, and are often occupied by University-owned Leafs or blocked by other service vehicles. You might get lucky and be able to park a private vehicle close enough to get a charge (my wife has), but I wouldn't leave the car, as you would be liable for a parking ticket. You could probably talk your way out of a citation if you were standing there and explained that you needed to get the juice to get home or something. The more "public" chargers are yet to be installed, I'm afraid. The ones that are in are obviously only intended for the 5 existing fleet vehicles.

TT

dznit said:

Any examples?

Thanks!
Is there any free parking on campus - that's a substantially larger give away than the electricity. Do they have free drinking fountains on Campus? Free Toilets? It costs to more to clean the toilets and supply free toilet paper - or do they charge for toilet paper by the sheet or by the hour? I think the approach is to compare it to other free / paid services they have, figure out what model they want to use and either make it free, or included in parking fees or charge a modest cost to cover electricity. Capital costs should be put in the facilities budget or decorative budget - like buying art for the campus, lanscaping, transportation budget, green / emissions reduction budget etc. Putting the capital costs into the cost per charge for something with a small number of users at the moment isn't going to work very well - the cost to the dirver will be prohibitive when there are only a few drivers.

CSUN (Cal State Northridge) has had EV chargers for quite awhile - not sure if they've been upgraded to J1772 yet though.

Devin said:
CSUN (Cal State Northridge) has had EV chargers for quite awhile - not sure if they've been upgraded to J1772 yet though.
Not as of 8/22/11 ... EVCN Notice the "Avcon" report; that's the one that would be upgraded to J.

UALR (University of Arkansas @ Little Rock) has one, surprisingly enough.
*correction* - it's acutally UAMS, still a state university in little rock, though :p

Solar shade structures are sprouting up in the parking lots of many school and public facilities in Palmdale and Lancaster, including the Antelope Valley College in Lancaster. Providing free charging as a part of the contract with the companies installing and managing these systems would take it off the table as a college worry. AVC currently has four J1772 units installed BUT they are not yet turned on -- for unknown reasons. Perhaps soon. . .

ttweed said:
snip.....Obviously, the planned 50 charging stations (of which only a few are currently installed) are a miniscule part of the electricity use.

The utilities budget for the campus is in the neighborhood of $47M annually, which is a huge percentage of the annual budget for operating and maintaining the entire physical plant of some 13,000,000 sq. ft. of classroom, office and lab space......snip

Even if the 50 charging stations give $10 per day each in electric around the entire calendar year it amounts to .4% of the electric budget. :roll:
That is exactly what I am talking about. Seems like everyone has this fear of the high cost of giving away electric when it amounts to adding a drinking fountain to the water system.

Back