Starting to charge with 11 bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdub

I was trying to charge to 100% via 110 at work and the charge stopped (had to move my car) at 11 bars.

I've searched for this on the forums but couldn't find it.

Is it ok for me to start it up again to top it off to 100%? I'm at 11 bars right now.

-C

cdub said:
I was trying to charge to 100% via 110 at work and the charge stopped (had to move my car) at 11 bars.

Is it ok for me to start it up again to top it off to 100%? I'm at 11 bars right now.

-C
Yes.

I wouldn't bother. You can do it but the difference in range is small enough to not be worth it unless you need every last mile...

cdub said:

-C

Well, the Warranty Information Booklet does say:
This warranty does not cover damage or failures resulting from or caused by:
  • Charging the lithium-ion battery full on a daily basis despite the lithium-ion battery keeping a high state of charge level (98-100%).
But doing it occasionally is certainly not "on a daily basis". I wouldn't worry about it.

Ray

I made it home with the low battery warning and one bar.

Only had probably about 56 miles of range with those 11 bars... but then again I was driving like a bat out of hell at 70 with the heater on so can't complain. ;)

cdub said:

-C

not recommended but its 120 volts so not that big a deal. if you need the charge, do it. better than walking. you do not want to make a habit of it but if you are leaving within a few hours after charge is complete it is nothing i would worry about. it seems that how you charge is less important than how long the car sits at 100%

Once I was sure I needed maximum range and so I started charging even though I was at 100%. I think it continued for only 15 minutes. Nothing exploded, made the trip with 3 miles to spare. Charging from 11 bars if you need it periodically should not be an issue IMO.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the prohibitions. Is there some way that charging from 11 to 12 bars would be any different than that portion of a normal 100% charge that passes *through* 11 bars to get to 12? Is there some potential for the normal termination signal to be missed or delayed? Maybe you could run the heater for an hour and then charge :p

It all hours back to avoiding 100% of it is convenient to your driving plans of the day

Nubo said:
I'm not sure I'm understanding the prohibitions. Is there some way that charging from 11 to 12 bars would be any different than that portion of a normal 100% charge that passes *through* 11 bars to get to 12? Is there some potential for the normal termination signal to be missed or delayed? Maybe you could run the heater for an hour and then charge :p

The point is to discourage cycling the battery only over the top two bars on a regular basis. Of course, someone who does that should really be charging to 80% anyway. Restarting from 11 bars after an interruption should be no problem at all.

Back