spy reports on the new 2013 from smyrna plant

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buck at their level is a lot to an auto manufacturer...

dgpcolorado said:
Are those HID headlights really that much less expensive than LED? I've never looked at any of that stuff but I'm surprised it makes enough of a difference to make the switch for the base S model. I guess Nissan has to trim costs wherever they can.

I guess I work and think differently... I've never even considered anything but the top of the line model/package on any vehicle I've bought because I've always wanted the additional technologies and features that they bring. The stigma of missing features and comforts lingers on well after the euphoria of a lower price has worn off.

adric22 said:
I think there is something else a lot of people are overlooking. In many cases just having a low-end model with a low starting base price, brings in customers to look at the car. I can't tell you how many times over the years I went to look at a particular car and wanted a "based model" but ended up driving out of the dealership with a higher trim level because I realized I was actually able to afford it.

TomT said:
I guess I work and think differently... I've never even considered anything but the top of the line model/package on any vehicle I've bought because I've always wanted the additional technologies and features that they bring. The stigma of missing features and comforts lingers on well after the euphoria of a lower price has worn off.

adric22 said:
I think there is something else a lot of people are overlooking. In many cases just having a low-end model with a low starting base price, brings in customers to look at the car. I can't tell you how many times over the years I went to look at a particular car and wanted a "based model" but ended up driving out of the dealership with a higher trim level because I realized I was actually able to afford it.

there are also people just looking to get around cheaply. comfort is not a consideration.

TomT said:
A buck at their level is a lot to an auto manufacturer...

dgpcolorado said:
Are those HID headlights really that much less expensive than LED? I've never looked at any of that stuff but I'm surprised it makes enough of a difference to make the switch for the base S model. I guess Nissan has to trim costs wherever they can.

And in this case we KNOW it's not a "buck". In fact, between the headlights, wheels, and (no) Nav system, I can easily see them dropping the list price by $5k (and that's without $/Yen advantages). That doesn't mean I would by that trim level, but we all know the objective is to get the price down and get people looking at the car! Yet another reason to keep the QC port as an option (I didn't even want one, not that I could use it much).

I just love the way they feel they have to cover all of the logos with tape, as if anyone with half-a-brain couldn't recognize a Leaf. In fact, the tape just calls attention to the car! :mrgreen:

As for the LED headlamps, these are still very low production so high costs for engineering, not spread over very many units, yet. In contrast, HID is very common, therefore much cheaper.

I agree that deleting cruise control makes no sense. Maybe it'll become an extra-cost option, where they just replace the blank plate with a plate with switches, wiring already in place.

I've never really figured out why they went with LED headlights rather than HIDs in the first place... The difference in current draw is not significant (10 watts each versus 35), and a good HID easily outperforms the LEDs... Plus, by using the shutter technique with the HID, they could have eliminated the high beam requirement entirely.

DoxyLover said:
As for the LED headlamps, these are still very low production so high costs for engineering, not spread over very many units, yet. In contrast, HID is very common, therefore much cheaper.

IIRC, xenon bulbs are not HID bulbs/transformers.. xenon bulbs are like $10 per and HID about $1000. What is the new Leaf using?

2 things....

1. Wind the motor??? Huh? Earlier post mentioned something about the machine to wind the motor. Could we get some explanation or was that just a joke in reference to wind up toy cars?

2. S model almost $17k less than my SL (with tax) almost makes it affordable for the 4th car i'll have to get in 4 years. Damn teenagers.

ksnogas2112 said:
2 things....

1. Wind the motor??? Huh? Earlier post mentioned something about the machine to wind the motor. Could we get some explanation or was that just a joke in reference to wind up toy cars?

2. S model almost $17k less than my SL (with tax) almost makes it affordable for the 4th car i'll have to get in 4 years. Damn teenagers.

It's not a joke. Motors are wound with magnet wire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRh4a1AwQqI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ksnogas2112 said:
:lol:

No joke. It's not like when Tom Hanks exclaims "Wind the frog!" in Toy Story! I am using the verb "wind" in the sense of "add windings to an electric motor." But when you see the machine running, you will see why they call it "winding" a motor. I'll post a link to the YouTube video if I can find it.

Edit: Here is the one I was thinking of about the Nissan LEAF (at about 1:00):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPKRTQbLs0w[/youtube]

Herm said:
IIRC, xenon bulbs are not HID bulbs/transformers.. xenon bulbs are like $10 per and HID about $1000. What is the new Leaf using?
Huh? I've always used the terms Xenon and HID headlights interchangeably. Xenon/HID bulbs used to be pretty expensive. Ballasts I think still aren't that cheap.

06-09 Priuses w/HIDs (like mine) take http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480J4J6?tag=priuschatcom-20&creativeASIN=B00480J4J6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (or http://www.usa.philips.com/c/car-lamps/xenon-standard-d4r-42v-35w-42406c1/prd/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The latter uses the wording "Xenon Standard HID". Toyota used to want $300 for the bulb only. They later dropped it to $150. You can see that Amazon itself directly sells them for ~$50.

Toyota dealers also used to unnecessarily replace the ballast when usually only the bulb was bad --> major bucks, esp. when dealers would remove the front bumper cover to do it. Toyota ended up refunding people for the unnecessary ballast replacement and I believe $150 of the overpriced $300 bulb. When they were doing this (and overcharging), I think the charge for the overpriced bulb, unnecessary ballast replacement + labor could be $900+. That's another story and there's more to it.

04-05 HID equipped Priuses took a D2R (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Xenon-Headlight-Bulb-Pack/dp/B00480J4KA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1349917838&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+d2r+xenon+hid+headlight+bulb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Well, I mean, it LOOKS like the Nissan Leaf, but there's duct tape over the logo, so you really can't be certain.

Nate

RegGuheert said:
ksnogas2112 said:
:lol:

No joke. It's not like when Tom Hanks exclaims "Wind the frog!" in Toy Story! I am using the verb "wind" in the sense of "add windings to an electric motor." But when you see the machine running, you will see why they call it "winding" a motor. I'll post a link to the YouTube video if I can find it.

Edit: Here is the one I was thinking of about the Nissan LEAF (at about 1:00):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPKRTQbLs0w[/youtube]

cool but i like the winding of the 2 main cables that hold up the Mackinaw Suspension Bridge. they consist of several hundred ½ inch strands that eventually become a 3 Ft diameter cable that holds up the center span of a 5 mile long bridge. Modern Marvels did a pretty cool piece on the building of the bridge

TomT said:
I've never really figured out why they went with LED headlights rather than HIDs in the first place... The difference in current draw is not significant (10 watts each versus 35), and a good HID easily outperforms the LEDs... Plus, by using the shutter technique with the HID, they could have eliminated the high beam requirement entirely.

DoxyLover said:
I might be ignorant, but would think the HIDs would be an improvement. The low intensity of the high beams on a dark local canyon (Topanga Canyon) that tends to have deer and errant rocks, animals, etc., has me wishing for them any time I am on that road at night... Does cause me to save battery though as I go much slower for safety's sake at night there....

The picture of that car back on page one has to be one of the UGLIEST cars I have ever laid eyes on.

I would be very surprised if they sell any of these things at all regardless of the price.

If Nissan really wants to sell more EV's they need to help build out the public charge stations. This is the only thing holding back EV sales is where do I charge up the car when it runs low on juice ?

KJD said:
The picture of that car back on page one has to be one of the UGLIEST cars I have ever laid eyes on.

I would be very surprised if they sell any of these things at all regardless of the price.

If Nissan really wants to sell more EV's they need to help build out the public charge stations. This is the only thing holding back EV sales is where do I charge up the car when it runs low on juice ?

What? It looks exactly like every other Leaf on the road except it has hubcaps and a black interior. I kind of like the black interior, and I already changed the wheels on my Leaf anyway.

palmermd said:
What? It looks exactly like every other Leaf on the road except it has hubcaps and a black interior. I kind of like the black interior, and I already changed the wheels on my Leaf anyway.
A black interior would be a nightmare in southern California. My brother has a gen 3 Prius, and the only real problem with it is the huge black dash which is like having a portable oven inside the car during the summer.

Stoaty said:
palmermd said:
A black interior would be a nightmare in southern California. My brother has a gen 3 Prius, and the only real problem with it is the huge black dash which is like having a portable oven inside the car during the summer.

This works for my prius
images

palmermd said:

The black wheels and hub caps are ugly as sin. Compare that LEAF to this LEAF
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now you tell me which one looks better. :)

Back