spy reports on the new 2013 from smyrna plant

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one is going to know anything specifically until Nissan actually announces the 2013s. But if you like to live by rumors, the rumor is that the cheapest model will not offer QC...

adric22 said:
Has anyone heard if the new cheaper model will have QC as an option?

And from where did this "rumor" originate?

Photo #4 in this gallery shows the "S" plugged into a CHAdeMO.

http://www.greencarreports.com/pictures/1079716_2013-nissan-leaf-spy-shots-of-new-less-expensive-model_gallery-1#100404859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
No one is going to know anything specifically until Nissan actually announces the 2013s. But if you like to live by rumors, the rumor is that the cheapest model will not offer QC...

adric22 said:
Has anyone heard if the new cheaper model will have QC as an option?

IMO, it would be a mistake for Nissan not make the CHAdeMO port standard over its entire BEV range.

edatoakrun said:
IMO, it would be a mistake for Nissan not make the CHAdeMO port standard over its entire BEV range.
I disagree - but it largely depends on how much it costs to add this feature. If it is $1,000 or more, then I'd rather it be an option. After all, lots of people have zero need of QC.

i agree it should be an option but doubt it cost $1000. it was only a $700 option on my 2011 and have to guess that price can only go down.

either way; I would think it EXTREMELY foolish to not continue pushing forward with Chademo. unlike Japan where they have thousands, chademo has a very weak footprint here. its not a sure thing by any stretch.

http://www.fleetdrive-electric.com/blog/2012/11/07/spring-2013-brings-a-cheaper-leaf-electric-car-to-lease/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the cars are supposed to start rolling off the line next month, shouldn't we be hearing an official announcement of options & prices?

Isn't this unusual?

Philip

its not unusual when you have thousands of last years models on dealer lots all over the USA sitting.

I think they know they have to clear the 2012's before they announce

As of today there are still 1853 LEAFs in the US according to cars.com. Assuming they sell the same number of LEAFs as last month, then they should be good to announce in mid December.

using my delivery as a guideline. got mine mid Jan 2011 and production date was Oct 2010. now that it coming from US instead of Japan we are now looking at a 1-5 day delivery cycle instead of 3-4 weeks

keep in mind; unlike cars from Japan where you gotta build a "boat load" here its a truck load. the bigger the queue the greater the area that much be provided for storage and I am guessing Nissan wants to keep that pretty small so i think we should see 2013's trickling into the lot by Xmas in some areas and widespread availability by mid Jan (just in time for slowest sale period of the year...)

Considering the time to ramp up the factory, deal with the inevitable production and parts delivery snafus, and the like, I expect that late January is the earliest we can expect to see any 2013s and more likely February...

Unless, of course, they elect to send some over from the Japan factory to fill the interim gap...

DaveinOlyWA said:
I am guessing Nissan wants to keep that pretty small so i think we should see 2013's trickling into the lot by Xmas in some areas and widespread availability by mid Jan (just in time for slowest sale period of the year...)

TomT said:
Considering the time to ramp up the factory, deal with the inevitable production and parts delivery snafus, and the like, I expect that late January is the earliest we can expect to see any 2013s and more likely February...

Unless, of course, they elect to send some over from the Japan factory to fill the interim gap...

DaveinOlyWA said:
I am guessing Nissan wants to keep that pretty small so i think we should see 2013's trickling into the lot by Xmas in some areas and widespread availability by mid Jan (just in time for slowest sale period of the year...)

well there are unknowns. we dont know when the factory will start other than Dec which means thats a month. but the ramp up from start to the first few cars i am guessing to be less than 2 weeks. those cars will be subject to an ultra QC session no doubt so ya it could be late Jan if its a late Dec start

what we need is some TN residents to chime in here. someone must know one of the workers that will be building these...

My guy who works at the Decherd plant (where the motors are made) didn't know that they were running tests on their assembly until I asked him about it the day after Nissan released their video about it. BTW, he works in another area of the plant.

So my contact isn't as good as I thought.

I used to know people in Smyrna, but I've been gone for about 10 years & haven't been able to get in touch with any of them.

But you're right, Somebody's gotta know someone who works there?!?

Philip

mwalsh said:
I'll be in Smyrna next week. Ostensibly to tour the battery plant. But seeing as the vehicle assembly plant is right next door, and I've 4 hours to kill until my flight home...

ok then you need to shop around for a pen spy camera!! we need pix!!

also, could you check out the parking area outside the LEAF assembly line for any activity? see if any new employee orientation will be going on?

DaveinOlyWA said:
ok then you need to shop around for a pen spy camera!! we need pix!!

also, could you check out the parking area outside the LEAF assembly line for any activity? see if any new employee orientation will be going on?

I'm pretty sure I'll be encouraged to take pics. I don't think I'll need to be too surreptitious about it.

mwalsh said:
I'm pretty sure I'll be encouraged to take pics. I don't think I'll need to be too surreptitious about it.
So they are officially giving tours of the Battery plant? What about the main plant where the Leaf will be assembled? Might be an excuse to visit TN!

-Phil

mwalsh said:
I'll be in Smyrna next week. Ostensibly to tour the battery plant. But seeing as the vehicle assembly plant is right next door, and I've 4 hours to kill until my flight home...
Good to hear! Has anyone else from the owner community been invited? I would know of the people from the SF Bay Area.

Back