spy reports on the new 2013 from smyrna plant

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
It's a media thing, so far as I know. No public tours as of yet.
Understood. Do you think you were invited because of your longtime involvement with MNL or for some other reason? It would be good if they were getting more savvy about social media in general.

surfingslovak said:
Understood. Do you think you were invited because of your longtime involvement with MNL or for some other reason? It would be good if they were getting more savvy about social media in general.

Doesn't really matter which now, because I've just found out from Travis Parman that it's apparently cancelled.

mwalsh said:
surfingslovak said:

Doesn't really matter which now, because I've just found out from Travis Parman that it's apparently cancelled.

oh that sucks

mwalsh said:
WPLN report on the apparent cancellation of the Grand Opening:

http://wpln.org/?p=42993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. From the article, the stated reason for the cancellation was this:
The grand opening of Nissan’s new electric car battery plant in Smyrna has been cancelled. A spokesperson for the automaker says scheduling conflicts have been encountered “among key stakeholders.”
However, I wonder why they decided not to reschedule:
At this time, a Nissan spokesman says there are no plans to reschedule a grand opening.
The openings of the new plants in Tennessee seem like pretty big deals to me... Oh, well.

RegGuheert said:
At this time, a Nissan spokesman says there are no plans to reschedule a grand opening.
The openings of the new plants in Tennessee seem like pretty big deals to me... Oh, well.

Indeed. I was quite lost for words when Mr. Parman told me this. Instead they intend to put together a digital media package, which they will be sending out (or giving access to). No idea when it's supposed to be ready, or when I'll receive it (or instructions for getting at it). :?

mwalsh said:
Indeed. I was quite lost for words when Mr. Parman told me this.
Seriously, this can't be any big mystery. Does anyone really think President Obama wants Ray LaHood out there a week after the election shining a spotlight on this as the financial time bomb ticks its last few ticks?

On WPLN's story this morning they said that the battery plant has already started producing batteries.

At least that's good news.

They also said that the first new LEAFs would roll off the line at the end of December.

Philip

mwalsh said:

Sorry to hear that Mike. I know you were really looking forward to the trip. cant help but wonder if the launch is having problems? A tour of a well oiled machine is simply "showing off" but if there are frequent production problems going on right now; a tour would be the last thing wanted...

mwalsh said:

mwalsh said:
RegGuheert said:

Indeed. I was quite lost for words when Mr. Parman told me this. Instead they intend to put together a digital media package, which they will be sending out (or giving access to). No idea when it's supposed to be ready, or when I'll receive it (or instructions for getting at it). :?

(because I am lazy I am going to copy and paste part of this comment from the other parrallel thread)

FWIW, I talked to Nissan today about this ceremony cancellation, and they said it had nothing at all to do with the plant itself, and that they just couldn't get their attendees schedules coordinated. I asked them about the status of the plant and the US production for next month....they said that the plant is producing batteries now for LEAF production next month, and everything is still on track for US LEAFs.

...Nissan is shooting for late next week on putting out a news release/presentation.

Back