SOC bars cannot be trusted?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

I just experienced something unexpected to me. Charged my car to 80% and drove on ECO mode to grocery store for .9 miles at 25 mph and as I parked I lost 1 bar. Range estimator started with 80 but on the way back showed 82. It kind of bothered me because I drove as efficient as possible and loosing the bar so quickly just did not make much sense.

IBELEAF said:
I just experienced something unexpected to me. Charged my car to 80% and drove on ECO mode to grocery store for .9 miles at 25 mph and as I parked I lost 1 bar. Range estimator started with 80 but on the way back showed 82. It kind of bothered me because I drove as efficient as possible and loosing the bar so quickly just did not make much sense.

you are over thinking this. it is too short a trip to make any determination.
crack open a beverage and take a real ride tomorrow.

thankyouOB said:
IBELEAF said:

you are over thinking this. it is too short a trip to make any determination.
crack open a beverage and take a real ride tomorrow.
+12oz

What was the temperature when you charged the car, and what was the temperature when you drove the car? Battery capacity varies by temperature, so SOC also varies by temperature. Do remember that when you charge to 80% the top bar shown is almost certainly only "partly full". It could be (due to temp change) that when you started your drive the top bar was really almost empty.

Ray

IBELEAF said:
You may have been at the "bottom" of tha bar when you started and the brief drive just pushed it past the threshold...

planet4ever said:
What was the temperature when you charged the car, and what was the temperature when you drove the car? Battery capacity varies by temperature, so SOC also varies by temperature. Do remember that when you charge to 80% the top bar shown is almost certainly only "partly full". It could be (due to temp change) that when you started your drive the top bar was really almost empty.
This is certainly possible. One recent, chilly (~ 40 F) morning, our LEAF had three bars. After the day warmed into the 50s, with some direct sunlight hitting the car, the car then had four bars of charge. (We gained a bar without charging or driving.) We also seem to lose bars more quickly when driving in colder temperatures, but then charging takes less time than predicted by the car.

Yes, it was about 40 degrees as well when this happened. In any case, the SOC bars just like range estimator is very temperamental hence my concern that I never really know how far I could drive. Luckily my commute doesn't exceed 50 miles per day.

IBELEAF said:
Has your Leaf received the software update primarily done for AC pre-cool? The folks at the dealer told me that miles per kWh guesstimating/accuracy was shored up as well. Just a thought.

I will post a pic later when I vet home but started this morning with 8 white bars and range of 122 miles so ya... estimated range can not be trusted

DaveinOlyWA said:
I will post a pic later when I vet home but started this morning with 8 white bars and range of 122 miles so ya... estimated range can not be trusted

Dave, I was referring to SOC bars. I can't tell whether I am getting 7 miles out of a bar or 1 mile...

Back