So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Yesterday drove to lowest charge on 2013. Drive was 89.3 miles. Morning commute was 60-63 mph (speedometer reading) with a couple slowdowns due to traffic. Was a late day so night commute was between 65-73 MPH (done on purpose due to the hour and wanting to see if LEAF could do it) with last 20 miles all at 70+ MPH. made it home with .7 Kwh.

its funny because up till now, I thought I would hit turtle when 1.3 Kwh was remaining and that did not happen so have to think there is something amiss here when a new pack has 22.7 kwh available. add the 1.3 for turtle and that is the whole 24 kwh pack...

ya, something not right and I suspect Nissan instrumentation to be the culprit

Yes Dave, something is not right, given that you're one of the few with the very high AHr capacities being
reported, i.e. ~ 66 Ahr since new and with over 9K miles. My Leaf had a little over 60 AHr when new and now
is at over 9K miles and it's at 59 AHr. The good news is that my typical distance traveled is 80 miles to LBW
and GOM reports 17-18 miles remaining. My nominal freeway driving speed is 50-55 mph with a resulting
efficiency of 5.2 miles/KWh. The Leaf is charged to 100% five days per week.

So Dave, based on your capacity being reported (66 AHr), you should easily be getting 88 miles to LBW
and about 17 miles remaining for a nominal range over 100 miles.

ok, started with 22.0 kwh available and drove first leg of commute to 12.7 kwh remaining which would imply 9.3 kwh used. but usage meter was only 8.689.

2nd leg went from 12.7 to 9.1 or 3.6 implied but used 3.147

3rd leg from 9.1 to 3.5 or 6.6 kwh implied, used 6.232

so lost 19.5 kwh from "available" and used 18.068 according to meter. guessing part of loss is conversion from battery, etc. part of it probably just compounded inaccuracies.

will be monitoring more info today

So, I finally decided to make a range run on my 2013 Leaf S. I've had it 15 months and it has 15,864 miles on it. I was fully charged at the start (time to charge meter was blank) and I still have all 12 bars. I inflated my tires to 38 psi and took off-highway roads for most of the trip, except for one mile on the freeway. Here are the results:

Starting SOC : 100%
Range (till battery low) : 104.7 miles (both battery and mileage meters were blinking for the last 5 miles but never got to turtle mode)
Efficiency : 5.3 miles/Kwh
Driving : lots of back country roads at 50 mph, but averaged closer to 30. Some 200 foot elevation gains and losses, but generally flat.
Climate : Temperature was in the high 60's. Trip was done after work from 5 to 9:30, with a 1.5 hour break for dinner (kept the car on during dinner, but before and after capacity remained at 39%) Only accessory was radio (XM) and lights for about 1 hour.
Range reading after full charge last night: 105 miles

Good news appears to be that I can do 100 miles on a full charge if I stay off the freeways. Bad news is that my battery appears to be only delivering approx 20 kW on a full charge (104.7/5.3 =19.8)

SLONomad said:
...Bad news is that my battery appears to be only delivering approx 20 kW on a full charge (104.7/5.3 =19.8)
The mileage efficiency meter isn't necessarily accurate enough to be used to make such judgments.

Anyway, if you weren't very far into low battery warning territory, you had some battery left that you didn't use; might easily be 1-2 kWh. What was the final %SOC?

dgpcolorado said:
SLONomad said:
...Bad news is that my battery appears to be only delivering approx 20 kW on a full charge (104.7/5.3 =19.8)
The mileage efficiency meter isn't necessarily accurate enough to be used to make such judgments.

Anyway, if you weren't very far into low battery warning territory, you had some battery left that you didn't use; might easily be 1-2 kWh. What was the final %SOC?

its not accurate for me either

I set LEAF Spy for 4.5 miles per Kwh for my range predictions (full charge with 22 Kwh available gives me 96.5 miles to 2% which is just about right)

but typical dash numbers run about 4.8 give or take a tenth

today was the longest distance i have travelled since having my leaf (3 weeks old)....179 km. Now here's the breakdown:

local errands around brampton area - city driving ave. speed 65km/h
drive from brampton to to Hamilton - ave. speed 110km/h
in hamilton quick charge for 75 min @ 6.6kw/h ( thank you hamilton mitsubishi!)
drove from hamilton to burlington
burlington to Brampton

NOW, the car was full with 2 adults and 2 children ( some groceries on the way back) and ac at 1/3 speed @ 22degrees the entire time (outside temp. was 28 degrees C ). On my way home i really wanted to try the see how far i could push the car so didn't stop to charge anywhere, made it home with 17km left !!! phew :)

loving my leaf !

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25n8hH4Xi3tm
I have a 2014 SL with apps 5,000 miles and owned it since 03/15/14. I live in Atlanta, GA and took the car to Athens, GA and back. I ran in Eco mode B selected (these are my default selections when driving). I listened to Pandora and had the radio on the entire trip. I started with 100% (also my default charge) and drove to downtown Athens. My total miles one way according to the trip computer was 71.7 miles with a remaining charge of 30%. The outside temp was 86. I drove with the windows down and no A/C on the trip to Athens.

I called the Nissan dealer in Athens, verified they had a DC charger and stopped by on my return trip to power up.

I drove a total of 142 miles and used 145% (70% to Athens and 79% on my return trip). I used the A/C on the return trip and estimate I ran the A/C 50% of the return trip at 75 degrees. The terrain is hills and valleys no steep grades and a good bit of stop and go.

My experience driving this car over 5,000 miles is a consistent 1 mile of range per 1% of energy used. Of course more accessorites a/c, heat, lights etc. translates into more energy used. I also am aware from the forum that extreme temps play a factor to range.

More about my trip to Athens from Atlanta. I took Hwy 78 which is more stop and go (red lights) with max speed limit of 55 and some 45 zones. I selected Hwy 78 because I find high speed freeway driving uses more electricity and I figured my best range would be the route I selected. The time and distance between the 2 routes are similar (although the freeway is faster). My theory is a different route will likely yield a different result.

I absolutely love this car. I do not use the car to commute (I have a co. car). I use the car for errands, visiting friends and driving enjoyment. Charge it, drive it and repeat. Many trips no longer require any thought. Today in preparation for my trip, I checked the miles to Athens, checked my phone app to verify a charging location, called to make sure it was operational and I was off to the races. If I am going to be driving longer distances and/or multiple stops, I check the miles that are required relative to the range that I get on the car and plan accordingly.

One final note on range:
I personally stopped looking at the DTE or (Range/Guess o meter) shortly after I purchased the car. I only look at the range indicator to estimate how efficient I am driving which moves in concert with my avg efficiency meter. I use battery percentage as my guide for range and find this to be my best method of dead reckoning. It has worked very well for me over the 5,000 miles I have driven the car.

Happy driving,
Todd

TetonEV said:
One final note on range:
I personally stopped looking at the DTE or (Range/Guess o meter) shortly after I purchased the car. I only look at the range indicator to estimate how efficient I am driving which moves in concert with my avg efficiency meter. I use battery percentage as my guide for range and find this to be my best method of dead reckoning. It has worked very well for me over the 5,000 miles I have driven the car.
I'm a little over 2k miles, and I've found the battery percentage is far more accurate as a DTE than the range indicator. I don't mean that to mean calculating based off percent remaining, I mean 90% is very close to 90 miles left.

I imagine that will change in a few 10k miles as the battery degrades. Or, I might gradually become more efficient, and it stays the same. Who knows? The GOM doesn't, that's for sure.

"I'm a little over 2k miles, and I've found the battery percentage is far more accurate as a DTE than the range indicator. I don't mean that to mean calculating based off percent remaining, I mean 90% is very close to 90 miles left.

I imagine that will change in a few 10k miles as the battery degrades. Or, I might gradually become more efficient, and it stays the same. Who knows? The GOM doesn't, that's for sure."
Yes, that is what I was going on about. Like you, I'm sure things will change whether it be from temp swings or normal battery degradation. I use the battery % the same as you do. Glad I'm not alone...

TetonEV said:
"I'm a little over 2k miles, and I've found the battery percentage is far more accurate as a DTE than the range indicator. I don't mean that to mean calculating based off percent remaining, I mean 90% is very close to 90 miles left.

I imagine that will change in a few 10k miles as the battery degrades. Or, I might gradually become more efficient, and it stays the same. Who knows? The GOM doesn't, that's for sure."
Yes, that is what I was going on about. Like you, I'm sure things will change whether it be from temp swings or normal battery degradation. I use the battery % the same as you do. Glad I'm not alone...

To really monitor what's happening with the Leaf battery over time and to obtain a good estimate of
range, one needs to have either the IOS LeafStat or the Android LeafSpy. Like with any battery powered
electronics, the key battery variable to monitor over time is ampere-hour capacity of the battery.

Had my 2015 3 weeks now and still stretching her legs. I charged to 89% yesterday morning before heading out to work. Roundtrip of 27 miles. Then I did a 6 mile errand in the evening. Did the commute again today without charging. Now sitting at 29% battery. All just driving my normal commute so it appears I can easily hit the 100 mile mark if I want.

Love the car.

There are two state parks near (but not close) to me: Grafton Lakes and Moreau Lake. Grafton is way the heck up a mountain in the Berkshires, so I wasn't sure if I could make it without recharging, but since Google Maps assured me it was only about 26 miles each way, I decided to try. I charged to 100% for the first time in many weeks, letting it equalize and shut off well before I left. I reset the energy meter. I used the flattest route before the hilly portion, and while I used the A/C I set it to 74 and used Eco Mode for the whole trip...

No problem at all. I arrived with 63% charge left, having climbed the mountain and hills at 45-55MPH (with ICE cars lagging behind me on the steeper portions). My efficiency before the hills was 4.4, dropping to 2.9-3.0 by arrival (I reset the meter again when the hills started). I knew that with the return trip mostly downhill, I was Golden. When I left a couple of hours later I left the park with about 61%. Descending the mountain the SOC barely dropped, and when it did it usually came back up, via Regen. I arrived in Waterford NY, most of the way home, with 55% charge remaining, and arrived home with, IIRC, 44%. Efficiency for the trip home was 4.6. In short, I could have charged to 80% instead of 100%, and still made the trip without hitting even the first Low Battery Warning. Moreau Lake, here I come!

Been driving all over eastern washington this weekend. Around 100 degrees temp. Going gelow freeway speeds, I regularly did better than 5 miles per kwh, and could have traveled 100 miles easily. My record last year was 110. 100 percent start, all dashes finished (for about 2 mikes before I got to the charging station) never hit turtle. It was also the longest charge ever. 3 1/2 hours where i had to wait. I wanted to continue my trip home but the car needed charge.

johnrhansen said:
Been driving all over eastern washington this weekend. Around 100 degrees temp. Going gelow freeway speeds, I regularly did better than 5 miles per kwh, and could have traveled 100 miles easily. My record last year was 110. 100 percent start, all dashes finished (for about 2 mikes before I got to the charging station) never hit turtle. It was also the longest charge ever. 3 1/2 hours where i had to wait. I wanted to continue my trip home but the car needed charge.

+1. there is another thread by a guy from GA who feels like he was ripped off because of the salesman's 100 mile claim while admitting he drives significantly faster than the law allows.

during the Summer, I am getting about 96 miles WITH A/C running and have done several trips at that distance with some left over.

96 mile range small.jpg

FYI; my miles/kwh average with A/C is about 4.8

I have a 2012 SL that I took delivery of in December of 12. I have a 78 Mile commute with the ability to plug in L1 at work. Now with 26,000 miles on the car the range is definitely shorter. I charged 80% the first year even in the winter. By the second winter I found that 100% was needed not arrive home with less than two bars remaining. I recently took a 80 mile trip that was 3/4 highway and after 30 miles I was down to 6 bars after a full charge. I did need to spend some quality time at a Nissan dealer on their L2 to get home.

75 miles was no problem when new. (50 in winter)
60 miles now after 26K

I have been extremely protective of the Battery. Charge starts at 4 AM to keep battery cool, During the summer I park it outside in the evening to keep temps down. I saw 7 temp bars once and have never had the chance to DC fast charge.

PV2leaf said:
I have a 2012 SL that I took delivery of in December of 12. I have a 78 Mile commute with the ability to plug in L1 at work. Now with 26,000 miles on the car the range is definitely shorter. I charged 80% the first year even in the winter. By the second winter I found that 100% was needed not arrive home with less than two bars remaining. I recently took a 80 mile trip that was 3/4 highway and after 30 miles I was down to 6 bars after a full charge. I did need to spend some quality time at a Nissan dealer on their L2 to get home.

75 miles was no problem when new. (50 in winter)
60 miles now after 26K

I have been extremely protective of the Battery. Charge starts at 4 AM to keep battery cool, During the summer I park it outside in the evening to keep temps down. I saw 7 temp bars once and have never had the chance to DC fast charge.

I've been thrashing my battery compared to you. I don't quick charge much, unless I'm on a road trip. Just last weekend, I hit 11 bars momentarily driving home from eastern wa... But I haven't noticed any decrease in range in the year I owned my car. Maybe you live in a warmer area, or I got a pre release version of the lizard battery... in my dreams...

[/quote]I've been thrashing my battery compared to you. I don't quick charge much, unless I'm on a road trip. Just last weekend, I hit 11 bars momentarily driving home from eastern wa... But I haven't noticed any decrease in range in the year I owned my car. Maybe you live in a warmer area, or I got a pre release version of the lizard battery... in my dreams...[/quote]

I charge, drive and charge. I take no mercy on the car or the battery. I plan on using the car till the battery is no longer providing me reliable local travel. Then I plan on refreshing the battery and drive her some more or upgrade to newer technology. I do the same thing with my other equipment that run on battery power (cell phones and computers). Being aware that battery effectiveness reduces over time, I'm prepared and will cross that bridge when I get there. Not looking forward to the expense, I could sock back the 600 buck savings every 5,000 miles I put on the clock for the gas I'm not burning to refresh the battery when her time comes. Maybe, just maybe I will be able to use the battery many more miles than the fuel cost and come out ahead. Time will tell. I just love driving the car because it's a joy to drive.

This is a long one but I'm a new owner and I'm pretty happy!

Only day 3 but I'm really digging my new 2015 SL - Here's my story . . .

I live in Colorado and we have a few "hills" here so I was a little bit nervous on how things would go. So far, so good. . . The main use for this car was/is to be for my daily commute which is about 54 miles round trip with a decent number of those hills. Here's how it's gone:

Day 1 - Picked up the car the day before and was only able to drive it a little bit. On day one, I woke up happy to find that the GOM was telling me I had 104 miles to tool around. Well, when I got to work (27 miles) the GOM was down to 61. UGGGG I thought. All day long I really worried about my decision to purchase this car. The ride home was WAY better. I guess the car was just figuring things out because I arrived home with 52 miles showing on the GOM. Ahhhh Felt much better. BTW, all surface streets on this day, speeds 35 - 55 for the most part.

Day 2 - Drove about sixty miles and had 38 left.

Day 3 (Saturday) - Today was time to "play" and try to figure things out. I wanted to experiment with some different routs to my office. At 7:30 this morning the whole Denver metro area where I live it was crazy foggy. I did my normal drive to work (same as I did on day 1) and arrived at work with only 55 miles remaining on the GOM. I figured that may happen so no surprise. On my return trip, I experimented a little more by stopping at a free charging station for :30 minutes and grabbed myself an extra 16 miles. Very cool. Then I decided to try out the highway at 70 - 75 MPH. The car did fantastic and didn't consume nearly as much energy as I thought it would. Sorry, I have no numbers for this but I was surprised.

When I got home, I charged it up to 98% and went for another ride to work. This was the big test. I took the highway all the way there (about 20 miles on the highway at a steady 65 mph, the rest 40 - 55 mph). Got to the office with 55 miles on the GOM. From work, I drove to where we normally go to lunch to make it a "normal" days drive. Drove back to the office and then back home on the highway again. VERY HAPPY to say that I made it home with 38 miles on the GOM. I even used the AC for a good portion of the trip home.

This car drives great, it's fast when you want it to be and so far is performing way better than I expected it would.

Good Stuff!

BTW, for the most part (except when I wanted to go fast on the highway) I drove in ECO mode and threw in some Brake mode occasionally for the downhill parts.

Ed

eddiebo924 said:
... I drove in ECO mode and threw in some Brake mode occasionally for the downhill parts.
I find on long trips ECO mode doesn't make much of a difference. It lowers your acceleration, so if you have a heavy foot it might help. Would help more in city driving where stop and start is more common. If you are monitoring how much energy you use and adjusting accordingly then I doubt ECO mode matters.

Is your drive to work uphill and drive to home downhill?

Check your profile it says 2014 for Leaf delivery.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
its funny because up till now, I thought I would hit turtle when 1.3 Kwh was remaining and that did not happen so have to think there is something amiss here when a new pack has 22.7 kwh available. add the 1.3 for turtle and that is the whole 24 kwh pack...

ya, something not right and I suspect Nissan instrumentation to be the culprit

New battery, 70F degrees:

24.0kWh total – 100% SOC
22.48kWh stored- 93.7% SOC (21.3kWh usable)
4.0kWh stored - Low Battery Warning (50 GID * 80 wattHours ... about 3.1kWh usable)
2.0kWh stored - Very Low Battery Warning (25 GID * 80 wattHours... about 1.4kWh usable)
0.5 kWh unusable- 2.0% SOC (actually triggered by lowered cell-pair voltage, not stored energy)

I frequently drive my 2013 below VLBW, and once a month or so drive to near turtle (no fuel bars).

When near turtle, using LeafSpy, this is how I judge remaining range to turtle:

Last fuel bar disappears= 6-7 miles to turtle
Lowest cell voltage (when car has been stopped more than 5 sec, like at stop light)
3.53=6 miles
3.43=4 mi
3.34=3 mi
3.23=2 mi
3.14= 1 mi
3.10= 1/2 mi
3.00=turtle

These near turtle ranges are assuming you are driving very conservatively (ie, you want to be sure you have enough juice to get home, efficiency 5 or better) max speed 30mph. Also assumes moderate temperatures.

Back