So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
My experience with rechargeable batteries (such as iPhone, iPad) is that, they hold good initially but gradually over an year or so they charge quickly, but hold less charge.
Don't worry. The LEAF doesn't use laptop batteries. The batteries in the LEAF are of a different chemistry, and won't lose their capacity like that. They will lose it, but a lot more slowly. Some LEAFs are a year old now, and the owners can't tell the difference.

I have never been able to get better than 4.8kWh driving my Leaf which won't get me to 100 miles. Today I got the low battery warning 7 miles from home and I decided to go the surface streets home becuase I don't think I could have made it on the freeway on freeway speeds. Partway through my trip, I reset the trip odometer and the M/kWh tracker and I was able to get 7.3 miles per kWh for 5 miles. I had to go between 8 and 14 miles per hour to achieve this but it was constant up and down in slope which makes me think you could go 150+ miles in the car on one charge if one only went 10 miles an hour. I don't have the patience but it would be interesting if someone else tries. Any takers? 10 mph range challenge.

No thanks. I have achieved more than 100 miles on a single charge 9 times during my first three months of ownership driving normally with the flow of traffic, and I think it would give EVs a bad name to be poking along at 10 mph holding up other people.

EVDrive said:
I have never been able to get better than 4.8kWh driving my Leaf which won't get me to 100 miles. Today I got the low battery warning 7 miles from home and I decided to go the surface streets home becuase I don't think I could have made it on the freeway on freeway speeds. Partway through my trip, I reset the trip odometer and the M/kWh tracker and I was able to get 7.3 miles per kWh for 5 miles. I had to go between 8 and 14 miles per hour to achieve this but it was constant up and down in slope which makes me think you could go 150+ miles in the car on one charge if one only went 10 miles an hour. I don't have the patience but it would be interesting if someone else tries. Any takers? 10 mph range challenge.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=121045#p121045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The original N1ghtrider just achieved my tenth 100 mile-plus range on a single charge, with 106.3 miles. LBW at 93.2. Never hit VLB. My Carwings shows 6.0 m/kWh on this charge; the dash indicator shows 5.7.

This 106.3 miles was over 6 days (I was out of town for 3 days driving my hybrid) in warm weather with a/c on only for about 30 miles. I drove under 50 mph on city streets for all but about 15 miles.

My cumulative tally is 1,112.4 miles of driving on charges of more than 100 miles, out of a total 2,554 miles, or 43.55% of my total driving achieving 100-miles plus per charge.

2012-03-24145327.jpg

2012-03-24145254.jpg

N1ghtrider said:
The original N1ghtrider just achieved my tenth 100 mile-plus range on a single charge, with 106.3 miles. LBW at 93.2. Never hit VLB. My Carwings shows 6.0 m/kWh on this charge; the dash indicator shows 5.7.

This 106.3 miles was over 6 days (I was out of town for 3 days driving my hybrid) in warm weather with a/c on only for about 30 miles. I drove under 50 mph on city streets for all but about 15 miles.

My cumulative tally is 1,112.4 miles of driving on charges of more than 100 miles, out of a total 2,554 miles, or 43.55% of my total driving achieving 100-miles plus per charge.

Photos of odometer later when cellphone achieves network access.
Ah the flat land of Florida...

Florida's flat roads and temps in the 70s let me achieve more than 100 miles (106.2) for the 11th time in my LEAF's first 2,660 miles. That makes 1,218.6 miles on single 100-plus mile charges, or 45.8% of my total driving. I hit low bat at 91.3; zero bars at 105.0; vlb at 105.7 and --- at 106.
5.8 m/kWh this charge.

106milesonsinglecharge.jpg

Yesterday I achieved 111.3 miles on a single charge for the 12th time of breaking the 100 mile barrier. 5.8 m/kWH on both dash and Carwings. Low bat at 91.8; Very Low Bat at 108.9 miles.

In the first 2,778 miles I have logged 1,330 miles while exceeding 100 miles per charge. That is 48% of my total mileage. I am shooting for exceeding 100 miles per charge for 50% of my driving.

N1ghtrider said:
I am shooting for exceeding 100 miles per charge for 50% of my driving.
That's great PR for Nissan that you're getting 100+ miles so often. It will be interesting to see if your battery degrades significantly faster compared to people who rarely charge at 100% and mostly do shallow cycles.

The problem is that there is almost no where else in the U.S. that is as flat or warm as Florida so reproducing that mileage elsewhere on a regular basis is going to be problematic.

ericsf said:
N1ghtrider said:
I am shooting for exceeding 100 miles per charge for 50% of my driving.
That's great PR for Nissan that you're getting 100+ miles so often. It will be interesting to see if your battery degrades significantly faster compared to people who rarely charge at 100% and mostly do shallow cycles.

The only thing better would be high elevation / thin air.

TomT said:
The problem is that there is almost no where else in the U.S. that is as flat or warm as Florida so reproducing that mileage elsewhere on a regular basis is going to be problematic.

"Almost" is a good choice of words. It's very easy to get high m/kW h here which is much more important and harder to do than going '100' or so miles on an 80 or 100% charge. I just made a 40 mile trip yesterday, had 4 trees, and 6.5m/kW h on the dash (the most accurate before the update). Last month, I had a 19 mile trip and had 7.2m/kW h on the dash which is my highest on a regular trip.

I'm a new Leaf owner and I tried an experiment today. I wanted to see what turtle mode was all about. My round trip to work is 141 km. I have yet to try a full trip without plugging in at work. Most of my trip is highway and up and down hills, sea level to 300 meters. I have been using the cruise control at a steady 80 km/h. Well I made it home safely. At 7 km on the guess o meter it switched to three flashing bars and the warnings about looking for a charge station came up. I parked the car, I didn't plug it in. Later in the day I took the car out for a short trip. I wanted to see the turtle. About one kilometre from my house the turtle came out. I was at my destination. This is where I made my mistake, instead of driving it home, I parked my Leaf. When I went to move my Leaf again it would not go back into Drive. It would shift into "N" so I had to push the Leaf over to a 110 volt outlet. 1 1/2 hours later it had enough charge so I could drive home. While I was waiting I read all about this in the owners manual. Note: You don't have to wait till the guess o meter has a number in it before you can move. The manual says you do but I still had the three flashing bars. Good experiment I learned a lot and I did it safely near my home not out on the highway. According to the Range Chart I should be getting 7.4 km/kwh I was able to get 7.1 km/kwh. Pretty good for a start. :cool:

dheywood71 said:
I'm a new Leaf owner and I tried an experiment today. I wanted to see what turtle mode was all about. My round trip to work is 141 km. I have yet to try a full trip without plugging in at work. Most of my trip is highway and up and down hills, sea level to 300 meters. I have been using the cruise control at a steady 80 km/h. Well I made it home safely. At 7 km on the guess o meter it switched to three flashing bars and the warnings about looking for a charge station came up. I parked the car, I didn't plug it in. Later in the day I took the car out for a short trip. I wanted to see the turtle. About one kilometre from my house the turtle came out. I was at my destination. This is where I made my mistake, instead of driving it home, I parked my Leaf. When I went to move my Leaf again it would not go back into Drive. It would shift into "N" so I had to push the Leaf over to a 110 volt outlet. 1 1/2 hours later it had enough charge so I could drive home. While I was waiting I read all about this in the owners manual. Note: You don't have to wait till the guess o meter has a number in it before you can move. The manual says you do but I still had the three flashing bars. Good experiment I learned a lot and I did it safely near my home not out on the highway. According to the Range Chart I should be getting 7.4 km/kwh I was able to get 7.1 km/kwh. Pretty good for a start. :cool:

Sounds pretty good to me and congratulations on a successful "Watchout for Mister Turtle Mode".

You may not have made it home anyway, because once the Turtle shows up, you probably had less than a half mile/a little less than a kilometer depending on conditions.

Yesterday, I participated in a 100 mile EV Efficiency rally and started with less than a 100% (100%=actually 94-95%) pack. It was around 85% SoC. Even with my 10% battery capacity loss, I still did 151 miles/8.5 console/8.4 dash m/kW h (only goes to 8.0 on the readout) on ONE CHARGE. The rally, which was all driven on city streets, had 12 charging station stops, but I didn't use any. We all had bright yellowish-orange banners on our back windows so other drivers could see why some of us were driving below the speed limits. I could have done at least 170 miles (21 X 8.4m/kW h) if I had started with full capacity. (I'll post the photo shots later for those that are skeptical...lol). :mrgreen:

LEAFfan said:
Yesterday, I participated in a 100 mile EV Efficiency rally and started with less than a 100% (100%=actually 94-95%) pack. It was around 85% SoC. Even with my 10% battery capacity loss, I still did 151 miles/8.5 console/8.4 dash m/kW h (only goes to 8.0 on the readout) on ONE CHARGE.:mrgreen:

Wow, LEAFfan, I am impressed. You have set the forum record by a long shot and relegated my 130.2 mile charge to a distant third place. Congratulations. I will post your accomplishment on Tony's 100 mile/200 km club thread.

N1ghtrider said:
LEAFfan said:
Yesterday, I participated in a 100 mile EV Efficiency rally and started with less than a 100% (100%=actually 94-95%) pack. It was around 85% SoC. Even with my 10% battery capacity loss, I still did 151 miles/8.5 console/8.4 dash m/kW h (only goes to 8.0 on the readout) on ONE CHARGE.:mrgreen:

Congratulations.

Thanks N1ghtrider.

Back