So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
healy100 said:
Just got my car and completed my first range test and very disappointed and little confused. Got home today with 23 miles remaining and 2 red bars left after having driven a total of only 64 miles. I charged to 80%. All in town driving over a 3 day period at speeds of 25 to 40 mph on mostly flat roads hypermiling all the way and a good amount of regen breaking with no climate control on. 74 degree temps.Oddly I'm averaging 4.5 miles per Kw on Carwings so the math isn't adding up. Nissan calculates that at those speeds and conditions I should be getting around 100 miles. Many owners who drive mostly freeway miles state they are getting better ranges then me. Wonder if I got a lemon?
  1. CARWINGS lies. Pay no attention to it. We are convinced there is a bug in their software.
  2. The estimated miles remaining is heavily weighted by your last few minutes of driving, and so is unreliable.
  3. Surely you aren't saying you expected to get 100 miles from 80% charge.
  4. The car is most efficient at about 38 mph. I routinely get lower m/kwh numbers when driving on 25 mph city streets.
  5. Those bars are not red. They are blue and white, and are there to be used. You will have plenty of warning when your battery is getting low, and with two bars showing you won't have gotten any warnings yet. Your first warning will come several miles after you get down to one bar; your second several miles after that bar disappears. You probably still have about 15% of your advertised capacity when the last bar disappears. But if you ever see the turtle, it's time to find a safe place to stop.

Ray

planet4ever said:
healy100 said:
Just got my car and completed my first range test and very disappointed and little confused. Got home today with 23 miles remaining and 2 red bars left after having driven a total of only 64 miles. I charged to 80%. All in town driving over a 3 day period at speeds of 25 to 40 mph on mostly flat roads hypermiling all the way and a good amount of regen breaking with no climate control on. 74 degree temps.Oddly I'm averaging 4.5 miles per Kw on Carwings so the math isn't adding up. Nissan calculates that at those speeds and conditions I should be getting around 100 miles. Many owners who drive mostly freeway miles state they are getting better ranges then me. Wonder if I got a lemon?
  1. CARWINGS lies. Pay no attention to it. We are convinced there is a bug in their software.
  2. The estimated miles remaining is heavily weighted by your last few minutes of driving, and so is unreliable.
  4. The car is most efficient at about 38 mph. I routinely get lower m/kwh numbers when driving on 25 mph city streets.
  5. Those bars are not red. They are blue and white, and are there to be used. You will have plenty of warning when your battery is getting low, and with two bars showing you http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=31&p=100918#won't have gotten any warnings yet. Your first warning will come several miles after you get down to one bar; your second several miles after that bar disappears. You probably still have about 15% of your advertised capacity when the last bar disappears. But if you ever see the turtle, it's time to find a safe place to stop.

Ray
Actually it was charged to 100% I was going to correct that. I got the 4.5 kw average from the car not Carwings. Sorry about the misinformation. I'm going to do another range test tomorrow from 100% charge and run it till I get the low battery warning. Thanks for the information about the last 2 bars. I was making the assumption that when you reach the second to the last bar its time for a recharge although the range meter did say I still had 25 miles left. I think Ive been a little too cautious. Bad case of range anxiety I guess.

healy100 said:
planet4ever said:
healy100 said:

Minimize. Regen. If u r using it and not stopping u need to reduce your average speed
  5. Those bars are not red. They are blue and white, and are there to be used. You will have plenty of warning when your battery is getting low, and with two bars showing you http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=31&p=100918#won't have gotten any warnings yet. Your first warning will come several miles after you get down to one bar; your second several miles after that bar disappears. You probably still have about 15% of your advertised capacity when the last bar disappears. But if you ever see the turtle, it's time to find a safe place to stop.

Ray
Actually it was charged to 100% I was going to correct that. I got the 4.5 kw average from the car not Carwings. Sorry about the misinformation. I'm going to do another range test tomorrow from 100% charge and run it till I get the low battery warning. Thanks for the information about the last 2 bars. I was making the assumption that when you reach the second to the last bar its time for a recharge although the range meter did say I still had 25 miles left. I think Ive been a little too cautious. Bad case of range anxiety I guess.

I would not bother getting too worked up about the range until you've put some miles on the car, like over a thousand. Now that I've got 1500 miles on my car it appears that the range is extending and the guessometer is getting more accurate and or i'm getting better at interpreting it. I imagine some of the improvement is from me getting better at driving the car efficiently but I'm feeling pretty certain there is some degree of break in that occurs with both the battery and the rest of the car that lead to improved range. I don't mean don't have fun, it's next to impossible to not try and test the new toy, but hold off on the frustration for a while, my guess is that you will be pleasantly surprised and ultimately happy with the purchase.
g

healy100 said:
Just got my car and completed my first range test and very disappointed and little confused. Got home today with 23 miles remaining and 2 red bars left after having driven a total of only 64 miles. I charged to 100%. All in town driving over a 3 day period at speeds of 25 to 40 mph on mostly flat roads hypermiling all the way and a good amount of regen breaking with no climate control on. 74 degree temps.Oddly I'm averaging 4.5 miles per Kw on Carwings so the math isn't adding up. Nissan calculates that at those speeds and conditions I should be getting around 100 miles. Many owners who drive mostly freeway miles state they are getting better ranges then me. Wonder if I got a lemon?

healy100 said:
Just got my car and completed my first range test and very disappointed and little confused. Got home today with 23 miles remaining and 2 red bars left after having driven a total of only 64 miles. I charged to 100%. All in town driving over a 3 day period at speeds of 25 to 40 mph on mostly flat roads hypermiling all the way and a good amount of regen breaking with no climate control on. 74 degree temps.Oddly I'm averaging 4.5 miles per Kw on Carwings so the math isn't adding up. Nissan calculates that at those speeds and conditions I should be getting around 100 miles. Many owners who drive mostly freeway miles state they are getting better ranges then me. Wonder if I got a lemon?
At 4.5 m/kwh - expect a range of 4.5 X 21 = 95 miles. You got 23+64 = 87 miles. There is some 10 miles hidden in Leaf (i.e. miles you will get when Leaf shows 0 remaining miles). So, you are getting very close to what I'd expect.

ttweed said:
gascant said:
I'll do a few more drives in D to see how it compares with ECO.
Please do! Your report of greater range in D than in ECO mode is totally counter-intuitive and contradicts everything Nissan says in their literature. Can this be explained by the high percentage of freeway driving in your commute, somehow? Is ECO actually a negative effect in freeway driving, as cashu2 also seems to imply above?

We have been blindly putting the car in ECO and driving it everywhere that way, unless some burst of acceleration is required temporarily for some reason. We assumed this would maximize range. Is that not really true for a long freeway stint?

Thx,
TT
OK, so now I have 1500 miles on the LEAF and have done the drive to work (30.5 miles) in both D and ECO a number of times. I have found that the actual energy used doesn't really matter on the mode--D and ECO both use just over 4 bars to get to work and another 4 bars getting home (it's relatively flat). However, I find that my remaining range in D is consistently higher than in ECO mode. I haven't got a clue as to why. What I do know is that I feel like the LEAF is being "held back" in ECO mode, and isn't nearly as fun to drive as in D. So, I'm migrating to becoming a full-time D driver. I've got my head around 7 miles/bar so I just plan as if I'll get 85 miles from a full charge regardless of the conditions. Last weekend I took the car to San Francisco from home (55 miles one way) and, despite the rain and cold, still got 7 mi/bar.

planet4ever said:
[*] Surely you aren't saying you expected to get 100 miles from 80% charge.
Ray

I charged to 80% (83%) today and received 106 miles on ECO. :mrgreen: So, yes, one can get 100 miles or more on an 80% charge.

gascant said:
OK, so now I have 1500 miles on the LEAF and have done the drive to work (30.5 miles) in both D and ECO a number of times. I have found that the actual energy used doesn't really matter on the mode--D and ECO both use just over 4 bars to get to work and another 4 bars getting home (it's relatively flat). However, I find that my remaining range in D is consistently higher than in ECO mode.

It just means you drive it just as fast in ECO mode as you do in D.. even if you have to press the go-pedal harder.. also implied by your comment about "fun" :) .. by definition you would get maximum range by driving at 38mph and if you did not use the brakes (either regen or friction) at all.

Brisk acceleration probably does not hurt your range much, since motors have a flat efficiency curve.

Only God (and perhaps Nissan programmers) know what goes on in that remaining range calculation.

LEAFfan said:
planet4ever said:
Ray

I charged to 80% (83%) today and received 106 miles on ECO. :mrgreen: So, yes, one can get 100 miles or more on an 80% charge.

Now that I've been using 80% most of the time, it seems to make surprisingly little difference in range, I'm practically back up to what I was getting with 100%.
g

LEAFfan said:
You drove 106 miles on an 80% charge, or the estimated range was 106 miles? BIG difference. If the estimated range is 106 miles, why don't you try driving in your typical style to see how much you actually get?

LEAFfan said:
planet4ever said:
Ray

When you say "received" -- does that mean you actually drove 106 miles, or that the range indicator (next to the bars) showed 106 miles as the expected range?

Herm said:
gascant said:
OK, so now I have 1500 miles on the LEAF and have done the drive to work (30.5 miles) in both D and ECO a number of times. I have found that the actual energy used doesn't really matter on the mode--D and ECO both use just over 4 bars to get to work and another 4 bars getting home (it's relatively flat). However, I find that my remaining range in D is consistently higher than in ECO mode.

It just means you drive it just as fast in ECO mode as you do in D.. even if you have to press the go-pedal harder.. also implied by your comment about "fun" :) .. by definition you would get maximum range by driving at 38mph and if you did not use the brakes (either regen or friction) at all.

Brisk acceleration probably does not hurt your range much, since motors have a flat efficiency curve.

Only God (and perhaps Nissan programmers) know what goes on in that remaining range calculation.
Yep, been keeping the highway speed nearly constant at 60 mph when conditions permit it. Using the same amount of energy in either mode is relatively expected (given that regen is such a minor part of the entire trip, and you can't change the laws of Physics at such a macro scale). I've been charging to 100% every night, too. Haven't taken the bold step of 80% although it's certainly do-able.

Jim66 said:
LEAFfan said:
planet4ever said:
Ray

When you say "received" -- does that mean you actually drove 106 miles, or that the range indicator (next to the bars) showed 106 miles as the expected range?

I should have said the range indicator showed 106. What's the most miles anyone's range indicator has shown for an 80% charge?

LEAFfan said:
I should have said the range indicator showed 106. What's the most miles anyone's range indicator has shown for an 80% charge?
Range indicator weighs recent driving higher. So if you have easy 30 mph city driving for a few miles to get home, you will see a large estimated range. My range is usually around 80 miles since I've a hill to climb to get to home. Infact I usually have a higher range when I reach my work since I'd be coming down the hill :lol:

The best indicator of your range is to multiply your miles/kwh (in the Leaf dash) by 21.

For eg., I had a high of 5.7 m/kwh the other day.

5.7 x 21 = 120 miles (100% charge).

evnow said:
The best indicator of your range is to multiply your miles/kwh (in the Leaf dash) by 21.

For eg., I had a high of 5.7 m/kwh the other day.

5.7 x 21 = 120 miles (100% charge).

Thanks! Do you use 21 with 80% also? Then that would be 116 miles with an 80% charge for me (5.5m/kwh). Do you reset your m/kwh for each trip or wait until you recharge?

Here is one data point for my drive home from Fontana Nissan:

Settings:

100% charged
ECO mode
Climate control off
Speed 52-53 MPH on freeway (pretty much the whole drive is on freeway)
Net elevation loss of about 1000 feet
No signficant up and down

Results:

Drove 65 miles
5 bars remaining
42 miles range remaining

LEAFfan said:
Thanks! Do you use 21 with 80% also? Then that would be 116 miles with an 80% charge for me (5.5m/kwh). Do you reset your m/kwh for each trip or wait until you recharge?
No, you should use 21 * 0.8 = 16.8. You can make that 16 to be conservative.

5.5 * 16 = 88 miles

I find it varies for me. My drive to work (36 miles round trip) usually takes 2 bars (although you lose the 1st bar quite because I think the 10th bar is only a half bar when you charge to 80%)there and 3 bars back from La Crescenta to Studio City.

Although yesterday the whole trip took 8 or 9 bars because I was always in D and I was flooring it a bit to have some fun acceleration and when I went up the 2 I was going 70 or 75 so I'm sure that ate up quite a bit.

I like ECO because it lets me ease up on my acceleration more. It's all about keeping it to 1 or 2 bubbles when you can and only regen when going downhill but only enough so that you maintain speed unless you need to slow down for safety.

It's all about the bubbles.

Back