So, any speculation on charger size on 2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridiculous to me that the 2018 S trim still only has a 3kW charger on a 40kWh battery. That's 11 hours to charge to 100% from 5%. That's like the 120v charger on the 24kWh packs.... The levels should be 6kW minimum and a 9kW on the SL. But they're not.

maini said:
It is still 6.6kWh charger. so still at at 27.5Amps
https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/

I'm a little surprised they didn't bump it to 7.2 or 7.7 kW. The new VW eGolf has a 7.2 kW on even the base version.

But I guess the new Leaf is really somewhere between a mid-cycle refresh and a full on redesign. So lots of components probably got kept.

Keith

HornsKeith said:
maini said:

I'm a little surprised they didn't bump it to 7.2 or 7.7 kW. The new VW eGolf has a 7.2 kW on even the base version.

But I guess the new Leaf is really somewhere between a mid-cycle refresh and a full on redesign. So lots of components probably got kept.

Keith

Why surprised? Those numbers aren't goals in and of themselves. Try to describe a real-world situation you expect to encounter where 7.2 kW would work for you but 6.6kW would not. While an edge case can always be conjured, in practical application the odds for an additional 600W providing a real marginal benefit are very low.

Durandal said:
Ridiculous to me that the 2018 S trim still only has a 3kW charger on a 40kWh battery.
Per my post at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=24522&p=505320#p505320, I got confirmation that all 2018 trims include a 6.6 kW OBC, even the base S.

Even with a 40 kWh pack, the 6.6 kW OBC is fine. I agree with @Nubo, bumping that up, even to 7.7 kW, isn't very significant...

Assuming no losses, transferring 38 kWh of energy into the pack would take roughly 5 hrs @ 7.7 kW. At 6.6 kW, it would take about another 45 mins. That's assuming going from VLBW to 100% SOC, which should be rare.

For battery longevity, I don't think I would go down to LBW on a 2018 very often, as it would be infrequently that I would need the full 150 mile range of the 2018 in a single day.

EV batteries definitely last longer if the DoD is less than 80%, less than 60% is even better. As a current owner of a 24 kWh Leaf, I don't have that same luxury (keeping DoD low), so I don't expect my Leaf's pack to last as long as a 40 kWh pack will in a 2018. It's another reason why Tesla packs show less degredation, because the DoD is much lower for a typical daily commute.

In other words, if one's commute requires 15 kWh of energy on average, that's more than 70% DoD on a 2013 SV. On a 2018 Leaf, that would represent a DoD of less than 40%. On a Tesla with a 90 kWh pack, that same commute would represent less than 17% DoD.

Nubo said:
HornsKeith said:
maini said:

Keith

Why surprised? Those numbers aren't goals in and of themselves. Try to describe a real-world situation you expect to encounter where 7.2 kW would work for you but 6.6kW would not. While an edge case can always be conjured, in practical application the odds for an additional 600W providing a real marginal benefit are very low.

In truth, it's probably because we have a 7.7 kW Clipper Creek in the garage, and perhaps I just like the thought of being able to make use of all of it. In practical terms, especially with a 40 kW-hr battery's range, I suspect you're right.

Keith

HornsKeith said:
Nubo said:
HornsKeith said:

Keith

In truth, it's probably because we have a 7.7 kW Clipper Creek in the garage, and perhaps I just like the thought of being able to make use of all of it. In practical terms, especially with a 40 kW-hr battery's range, I suspect you're right.

Keith

I'm envious. With our service load calculations the most we could reasonably "afford" for EV charging was a 20-amp circuit so my home charging is still at the LEAF's original 3.3kW limit even though I've had a 6.6kW capable LEAF since 2015. If we ever decide on a 2nd EV I will probably replace the electric cooktop with a natural gas unit and my wife and I can fight over that 50A circuit :)

Nubo said:
I'm envious. With our service load calculations the most we could reasonably "afford" for EV charging was a 20-amp circuit so my home charging is still at the LEAF's original 3.3kW limit even though I've had a 6.6kW capable LEAF since 2015. If we ever decide on a 2nd EV I will probably replace the electric cooktop with a natural gas unit and my wife and I can fight over that 50A circuit :)

One large step forward, one small step back.

HornsKeith said:
Nubo said:
HornsKeith said:

Keith

Keith

Yah we are kinda there. We have a 10KW Juice Box. It would be nice to have a 10 or 20 percent increase in speed because of how and when we charge.

Back