Should I make it 38 miles one way round trip?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
You actually don't want to use regen breaking if possible, as you don't get back more than 100% of your energy output. You want to only give it enough gas/electrons to go as fast as you need, braking implies you gave it too much (or hit a red light / idiot driver)

In the real world, you have to slow and stop the car, and regen is the best way to do it. I think a better way to put this is "Coast as much as traffic allows (don't make people hate EVs!) and use Regen when you have to slow down.

Totally. "(or hit a red light)". Your way does sound better though.

TonyWilliams said:
davewill said:
TonyWilliams said:
Your 76 mile trip will be fine when the car is new and with NO heater. By the way, on 2011-2012 LEAFs, you can't turn off the heater without modifications. ...
Of course you can. You just turn off climate control. The fan will turn off and so will the heater.

Yes,thanks for the clarification... The heater won't turn off with the fan on without modifications on 2011-2012.

I run the fan without the heater or air conditioning all the time on my unmodified 2012 SL. I just turn off the A/C, and turn the temperature down to 60 degrees. It won't work if the temperature inside the car falls below 60 degrees, but I won't be running the fan without heat if it the temperature goes down that far.

DanBaldwin said:
I run the fan without the heater or air conditioning all the time on my unmodified 2012 SL. I just turn off the A/C, and turn the temperature down to 60 degrees. It won't work if the temperature inside the car falls below 60 degrees, but I won't be running the fan without heat if it the temperature goes down that far.

I believe that has been debunked numerous times here, but obviously setting the heater to the lowest setting is the best compromise.

DanBaldwin said:
I suppose it depends on where one lives and what one is used to, but I can't imagine using the heater in balmy temperatures in the 40s and 50s. And to use the fan or defogging that means I had to get Phil's Climate Control Unit mod.

I'm glad that Nissan corrected the climate control flaw by putting a "heat off" button on the 2013 models.

dgpcolorado said:
DanBaldwin said:
I suppose it depends on where one lives and what one is used to, but I can't imagine using the heater in balmy temperatures in the 40s and 50s. And to use the fan or defogging that means I had to get Phil's Climate Control Unit mod.

I'm glad that Nissan corrected the climate control flaw by putting a "heat off" button on the 2013 models.

Exactly. I use the fan without heat when the car is hot from sitting in the sun, but the temperature outside is cool. The method I described above works 100% for my purposes. When I have a fogged up windshield, I use the defog button, and turn the temperature up to 80 degrees or so, then turn it back off once the windshield clears. It only takes a couple of minutes, and generally stay clear for the rest of my drive to work. I tried fan only a couple of times to clear the windshield, but it didn't seem to work well for me. Took way too long to clear the windshield if it worked at all.

I live in southern California, so my needs will be a bit different from yours, like what you call "balmy", I call cold.

I would LOVE to have a heater button on my leaf. "Fan only" isn't a problem for me, but it really bugs me when I'm running the air conditioner, and I see the climate control power usage spike because the climate control turned on the heater to maintain temperature. What I do now is to keep the temperature turned down well below the temperature I'm looking for, and modulate the A/C by turning down the fan. I generally end up with A/C only drawing two or three hundred watts within a few minutes. Of course, having the heater forced off only when the A/C is off wouldn't help with that problem.

Back