Shadey Dealer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsnow

I am getting very upset over the dealer I bought a LEAF from. He is dicking me around on giving me the title. It has been a week since I gave him the money and got the car. I cannot register it without the Title. Calling my lawyer tomorrow. Anyone else have title problems?

My Dealer (Mossy Nissan, Houston) handled all the registration paperwork. They got the plates and I just picked them up a few days later. Registration sticker and inspection all done by them. The title took 6 weeks to get in the mail- but I didn't have to do any of the legal legwork for the car. They should handle all that for you (on a new car).

It would be helpful if you put your location in your profile since every state handles titles differently...

brownsnow said:
I am getting very upset over the dealer I bought a LEAF from. He is dicking me around on giving me the title. It has been a week since I gave him the money and got the car. I cannot register it without the Title. Calling my lawyer tomorrow. Anyone else have title problems?

The dealer should have given you a temporary plate and taken care of registration themselves. It takes a few weeks, plates are usually mailed to you.

I bought my LEAF out of state and they handled registration for Michigan.

kubel said:
The dealer should have given you a temporary plate and taken care of registration themselves. It takes a few weeks, plates are usually mailed to you.

I bought my LEAF out of state and they handled registration for Michigan.

+1
Left with a "T" tag and temp registration.
Dealer handled all the paperwork with title transfer.
Title was delivered from the State of PA in about 4 weeks.

If you bought the car outright or finance it they both will use temporary plates. calm down and drive your LEAF! The title will be on it's way.

brownsnow said:

Also, if the OP is in California, title, reg card, and plates can take as long as 90 days. DMV won't even talk to you about not receiving either/both until the 90 day period has elapsed (I know this from experience). The temp reg stuck to the lower right windshield is good for 90 days, or until you receive plates, whichever comes first.

Lasareath said:
If you bought the car outright or finance it they both will use temporary plates. calm down and drive your LEAF! The title will be on it's way.

+1

Takes around 6 weeks to process, I purchased mine in full, used from a Lexus Dealer, they will put the Temp paper work on the passenger side windshield. I believe it has to also be processed by the DMV before handling the title over. Dealer is doing the right thing.

Im still waiting for my personalize plates, probably 2 months for those.

Fred

TomT said:
It would be helpful if you put your location in your profile since every state handles titles differently...
Yep.
kubel said:
Yep. In some states, like WA, the plates are mailed to the dealer. In my case when I bought 2 Nissans in WA (WAY before the Leaf existed), since the dealer was so far from home, I had the dealer just mail the plates to me, instead of me driving over 70 miles round trip to pick them up weeks later.

TomT said:

Kansas handles titling of vehicle purchases different than every other option presented above. Until the the OP responds with the State that they live in, and someone can provide a relevant response for that State, this is all speculation.

The only valid end to the statement "I shouldn't speculate" is "period", it's never a "but". :)

This is in NY. I did not get a temp plate from them at the time, since I could register it at home. It is a certified used car from what appears to be a reputable dealer. I also called Nissan corporate. They took down the info and are going to 'look' into it and get back to me Thursday. I paid cash for the the car, so there is not any financing. This just sucks to have the car sitting in the driveway waiting for a piece of paper.

Hi!
When a dealer sells a a vehicle cash the dealerships DMV clerk sends title to the DMV.
Usually it takes the customer around 60-90 days to get the title in the mail.
Why didn't the dealership register the car for you?

I went back to the dealer and they were able to issue temp plates. Still no title though. At least I can drive it now. I went out to run errands today for 24 miles. Worked great! Thanks for all the advices.

Back