Got call from dealer today.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyct

Leaf Supporting Member
Earlier this year I was in the market for a used Leaf Plus below $25k so it would qualify for EV tax credit. I was looking for a car for my wife for local trips since she was familiar with the leaf. Dealers weren’t moving from listed prices and were adding up to $3k in market adjustment. Later I realized I would not qualify for the used credit because the our taxable income limits are different than new car credits.

I ended up buying 2nd Tesla model Y Long range for her. We have 2 years of free super charging that can be used on either car. Plus we have a 60/48 amp home wall charger that adds 44 miles of range per hour on charge.

Today a Nissan sales rep who I was dealing with back then called me. I told him too late I bought a pair of Teslas. He said why not a Leaf or Ariya? My answer was price, range, Tax Credit, NACS vs CHAdeMo, battery cooling, autopilot, extra year warranty etc.

If I could have purchased a long range Ariya for the price of a Tesla Y with tax credit I would have considered it. Nissan needs to wake up.

You have bought more cars in ~5 years than I have bought in my life!
Not sure what (or when) I would replace my Leaf with...but I've come to the conclusion that it probably won't be another Nissan. Their EV leadership ended when they fired Ghosn.

Stanton said:
You have bought more cars in ~5 years than I have bought in my life!
Not sure what (or when) I would replace my Leaf with...but I've come to the conclusion that it probably won't be another Nissan. Their EV leadership ended when they fired Ghosn.

I’m up to 66 new cars since 1970, but only one wife. :)

I currently own a 2022 Ford F-450 King Ranch, I have a 2023 Ford F-450:King Ranch on order and Monday I’m ordering a 2024 Ford F-450 Platinum when order banks open up. The trucks are used to tow the 5th wheel RV. Our daily drivers have been EVs or hybrids since 2005 when we bought a Prius.

Maybe you should have waited. Now getting reports of pretty amazing lease deals on the Ariya and those can be bought out at lease end while the LEAF currently cannot.

Right now a lease is attractive as the interest rates are crazy high for new purchases. I was lucky to have purchased my LEAF off lease when I did after doing the unusual step of doing a two year lease. Had I done a 3 year lease, it would have been a lot more money.

As it stands, barring a disastrous event, I will be holding onto my 2019 until everything calms down. It is still holding up well with a slight increase in capacity on the last adjustment.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Maybe you should have waited. Now getting reports of pretty amazing lease deals on the Ariya and those can be bought out at lease end while the LEAF currently cannot.
Has there been a policy change or there been an exception made for Ariyas?

https://www.nissanfinance.com/nmachelp/s/article/Can-I-Purchase-My-Leased-Vehicle?language=en_US still says:
"Please note that Electric Vehicle (EV) leases initiated 12/12/2022 or after are not eligible for purchase during the term of the contract or at maturity when the lease contract ends (this includes both direct Lessor and Dealer-initiated payoffs)."

I totally see where the OP is coming from. Ariya and Leaf got hosed by losing out on the tax credit while Tesla qualify again. For those who can qualify for Federal tax credit (I can't, income too high), both Leaf and Ariya are not competitive vs. Teslas and many others that do qualify. +1 on his other factors.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Has there been a policy change or there been an exception made for Ariyas?

https://www.nissanfinance.com/nmachelp/s/article/Can-I-Purchase-My-Leased-Vehicle?language=en_US still says:
"Please note that Electric Vehicle (EV) leases initiated 12/12/2022 or after are not eligible for purchase during the term of the contract or at maturity when the lease contract ends (this includes both direct Lessor and Dealer-initiated payoffs)."

I totally see where the OP is coming from. Ariya and Leaf got hosed by losing out on the tax credit while Tesla qualify again. For those who can qualify for Federal tax credit (I can't, income too high), both Leaf and Ariya are not competitive vs. Teslas and many others that do qualify. +1 on his other factors.

Ah you maybe right. There was speculation that the policy would change on the Ariya and I thought or assumed it had already been changed? As it stands now, the policy "is" to provide the full tax credit on lease terms for the Ariya but only partial credit on the LEAF.

You got me curious, I found https://www.ariyaforums.com/threads/nissan-ariya-ev-tax-credit-leasing-with-buyout.1252/. I don't know if it's a mistake or if Nissan really has changed their mind. If I were to enter into an Ariya lease w/the intent of buying at the end, I would really want it in writing.

If it has changed, hope NMAC updates their site soon.

Update: FWIW, I visited https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/electric-cars/ariya/deals-incentives-offers.html?offer_filter_search=90210 (this isn't my zip code but it works), and looked at the 1st Ariya lease deal that came up. It does have text allowing for purchase at the end. I wonder if this a mistake (left hand doesn't know what the right is doing) or NMAC just being slow to update their site.
LIMITED AVAILABILITY. CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER FOR INVENTORY INFORMATION. ESTIMATED PRICE. ACTUAL PRICE MAY DIFFER. DEALER SETS ACTUAL PRICE. Excludes taxes, title, and license. $4,129 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $3,760 consumer down payment, $369 first-month payment, and $1,000 Bonus Cash.) (Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Company.) Subject to residency restrictions. 2023 Nissan ARIYA ENGAGE FWD 63 kWh with Splash Guards (4-piece set) and Carpeted Floor Mats (2-piece set) and First-aid Kit lease model 24313 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Company. $45,050 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $40,891 includes a $695 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $13,284. At lease end, purchase for $29,283, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.25 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. Disposition fee due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. The NMAC SignatureFlex Lease Program is available on any Nissan Model Year 2022 or newer from new dealer stock financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Company (NMAC). After lease signing, Program Lessee can purchase additional mileage at $0.10 per mile through the NMAC customer portal or mobile app up to 30 days before Program Lessee’s lease maturity date provided Program Lessee’s account is current and in good financial standing as solely determined by NMAC. Purchase of additional mileage is subject to sales tax. No refund or credit on unused miles. Subject to residency restrictions. At lease end, pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile (for mileage over the original lease allowance of 15,000 mile per year or 12,000 per year, plus any additional mileage purchased during the lease term) or $0.25 per mile (for mileage over the original lease allowance of 10,000 per year or 5,000 miles per year, plus any additional mileage purchased during the lease term). Disposition fee due at lease end if Program Lessee does not exercise the purchase option. No security deposit required. Other restrictions apply. Contact participating dealer for details. Offer is subject to change at any time and/or is subject to termination without notice. CarSaver does not sell, finance or lease motor vehicles. Offer ends 07/31/2023.

I can only say that a conversation had with someone likely in the position to know said there was a LOT of interest in moving towards allowing "all" Ariyas on lease to be purchased.

Back