Seriously considering getting a LEAF.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deimos909

So I'm seriously considering getting a leaf, in fact I've already taken 3 test drives. But one thing is still holding me back. My commute is 40 miles round trip, which at first view sounds like it would not be a problem. My concern though, is that I drive in Masachussets, and people here drive 65 - 75 mph. Actually its rare that anybody drives below 70. So can anybody tell me realistically what kind of range I can get at these speeds? I really don't want to be the one guy slowing everybody down, plus I don't want people thinking I cant go any faster because Im driving an electric car. I know a lot of people are saying that they get really good mileage but they drive conservatively. Any input is really appreciated.

If you can charge at work, assuming L2, then drive it like you just stole it. No issues there. :)
However, if you can't charge, then you will need to drive no more than 60 mph to comfortably get 80 miles or so round trip. You will be cutting it close. Personally, I will find a way to charge at work.

Oh wait, you said 40 miles round trip. Then you shouldn't have any issues even driving at 70-75 mph. No need to charge at work. Sorry, misread. Get that LEAF now!

Yeah, I was going to say, 40 miles round trip, even at constant highway speeds is no problem. better get the car before gas prices go up and the dealers get greedy again!

trentr said:
Oh wait, you said 40 miles round trip. Then you shouldn't have any issues even driving at 70-75 mph. No need to charge at work. Sorry, misread. Get that LEAF now!

deimos909 said:
So I'm seriously considering getting a leaf, in fact I've already taken 3 test drives. But one thing is still holding me back. My commute is 40 miles round trip,

40 Miles per day should be easy. If you are talking 40 miles one way then your on the edge.

How close is the dealer to your house ? You could drive your work commute route as an extended demo drive and set your mind at ease. If the dealer wanted to go the extra mile they might let you take it for day. The worst they could do is say no. :)

KJD

It should not be a problem. I drive 40 miles one way, even when its been in the low 20's with the heater cranked i could make it about 70 miles i would say. 2 weekends ago i did a test drive at 70 on the highway for a 60 mile round trip (had 10 left).

Yeah, 40 miles, no worries. Drive it like you stole it!

Edit: The car is very comfortable and solid at high speeds, rolls royce quiet, no vibration.

Man, I just don't get it why people are intimidated into driving faster than they'd like to on the freeway. I always drive between 55-60 and I stay in the number 2 lane on the LA freeways. I'm always passing people on the right, and, yes, now and then some jerk will get on my tail and flash their lights at me wanting me to move over, even though there are two or three lanes to the left. I calmly keep doing what I want, knowing they are saving energy and pollution for as long as they are behind me, and eventually, they give up and go around.

Nobody tells me how I have to drive as long as I'm driving within the posted limit.

BTW, 40 miles is easy. I average between 100-120 per charge.

deimos909 said:
So I'm seriously considering getting a leaf, in fact I've already taken 3 test drives. But one thing is still holding me back. My commute is 40 miles round trip, which at first view sounds like it would not be a problem. My concern though, is that I drive in Masachussets, and people here drive 65 - 75 mph. Actually its rare that anybody drives below 70. So can anybody tell me realistically what kind of range I can get at these speeds? I really don't want to be the one guy slowing everybody down, plus I don't want people thinking I cant go any faster because Im driving an electric car. I know a lot of people are saying that they get really good mileage but they drive conservatively. Any input is really appreciated.

Today, here in the semi-salubrious climate of Northern California, I drove a 56 mile round-trip about 90% freeway mapped out. I started with a fresh 80% charge. No heater, only Pandora on the head unit. Outbound I used the freeway. I never exceeded 65 mph. As soon as I passed the 10 mile mark I knew I was in trouble. I arrived at the destination with 4 bars left (down from 10).

Rather than chance it I got off the freeway on the return trip took surface streets (That's CA talk for city streets). I made it home with a blinking 6 miles showing on the range gauge.

In sum, traveling 70 mph in a cold climate in the Leaf will result in walking in about 50 miles or less. Run the heater? Bring warm socks and stout shoes. I would only do a 40 mile round trip in a cold climate (20 mile radius) only with a 100% charge every evening and pre-heating the battery. I wouldn't sweat it if I could charge at work.

Oh, and don't get lost.

Edit: Lest you think this is negative or unusual, I should add that I netted 4 trees for the trip and 62 miles on 80% with the temps in the low 50's and a high wind ain't that bad. I regularly do 90 to 110 miles per 100% charge. Just not on the freeway, and not when the temperature is sub 10 degrees C. My car has a very fat top 20% of gauge, so I expect that had I charged to 100% (which I will do tomorrow since I must make the same trip) I could have easily gotten 80-85 miles or more on this "tank."

Edit II: Make it 64 miles. I went out to retrieve my Galaxy Tab and started the Leaf and now it's showing 8 miles left. Why, I know not. I think I need a software update. And a new BMW.

At these speeds you will have to charge 100% and in winter time you'll be pretty much using entire range. I get roughly 50 mile range with heater on and freeway speeds 65+ and plenty of hills.

Not that you need any more convincing, but here's my story: every two weeks I drive a 70 mile trip. I charge to 100%. First half is mostly highway and I drive 70. Second half is mostly 2 lane highway and I drive 60. Now I do drive smart, meaning I use cruise control and/or keep my speed steady and plenty of room to the cars in front of me so I'm not accelerating/decelerating too much--this will be very hard to do in Mass! The last time I took the trip temps were in the mid-40's and I did use the heater some (definitely used the heated seat/steering wheel). When I got home I had over 10 miles on the guess-o-meter (which isn't too inaccurate at that level)--plus whatever "secret reserve" awaits after reaching 0 bars. So conservatively that's around 85-90 miles at fairly high speeds. Granted, you're a lot colder up there than here in Raleigh, but I really don't think you're going to have any concerns at 40 miles.

I have the same concerns as the OP, on Fridays I drive a different route (normally my RT commute is just 30 miles), and I just mapped it out on Google Maps with "add destination", and it ends up being 62.7 miles all highway. I could charge at work, for 9-10 hours, but that leg is only 14.8 miles from the start, still leaving 47.9 to do on the trip home with several quick stops and no oppoprtunity charging. This is the reason I orphaned my leaf, I am in MA too, and I have my doubts about highways speeds on this 47.9 mile multiple stop return segment, with colder temperatures (10 - 20F in the winter possible) and use of the heater. FYI, the Red SL Leaf I orphaned is still at Clay Nissan in Norwood, if you are looking for a Red one :)

Here she is: http://www.claynissannorwood.com/2012-Nissan-LEAF-SL-Norwood-MA/vd/9239282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've written about this already, I might just have to wait for somethng with a little more range, or a PHEV, or keep driving my 2010 Prius a few more years.

Also, keep in mind that most drivers who post their recommendations here are "squeeze the extra mile" kind, basically read between the lines. Being normal driver and living in hilly/cold area I am less then impressed with the range. Even on a warmest day I could only dream getting close to 80 miles range.

mitch672 said:
FYI, the Red SL Leaf I orphaned is still at Clay Nissan in Norwood, if you are looking for a Red one :)
Here she is: http://www.claynissannorwood.com/2012-Nissan-LEAF-SL-Norwood-MA/vd/9239282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its about $1200 higher than MSRP, what options are on that car?

Back