Selling Leaf privately

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valdemar

Anyone on this forum was able to sell their Leaf privately? Is there any demand for used Leafs? Mine is a 2011 with 30k miles, all capacity bars. Is Kelly Blue Book too optimistic with its $16,500-17,000 estimates for good/very good condition private party price?

Valdemar said:
Anyone on this forum was able to sell their Leaf privately? Is there any demand for used Leafs? Mine is a 2011 with 30k miles, all capacity bars. Is Kelly Blue Book too optimistic with its $16,500-17,000 estimates for good/very good condition private party price?

your 2/3 year old vehicle is competing with new LOWER priced vehicles.
it's all about money, when people can get inexpensive financing on a new vehicle they are less likely to pay in full for a used one, getting a loan for a used vehicle is more difficult than getting one for a new one.
I haven't even touched on battery issues, but any buyer who is diligent would be concerned about those issues.
I hate being a downer but those are some of the hurdles you are facing.

I would think the best exit for y'all who own 2011 LEAFS is to trade it in on another LEAF, you might have leverage to get more money on the trade or a lower price on the new car

One observation on my part is that while there is a cheaper model available (S), the 2013 SL is actually more expensive than what many of 2011 owners paid for our SLs...

So if a person wants to get a new stripped down model, price may win. But if they are interested in all of the SL features, it ain't that cheap new...

My advice would be to use eBay to sell the vehicle. I've had great success there. Include plenty of photos and a great description, and you'll sell it for what the market says it is worth...

i would drop by carmax just to see what they offer. It takes about an hour to appraise and there's no commitment or cost to appraise it.

SteveInSeattle said:
I posted mine here and got no interest, ended up trading in for 15.5 and I had half as many miles on mine.

Did you try craigslist? My guess is that forum members is not the best audience as most already have one.

A quick scan of local craigslist revealed a handful of private ads with prices detached from reality. More dealer ads around 19k in general, some even show pictures with a missing bar. I will likely be posting an ad to craigslist to gauge interest, will also visit Carmax, just to get an idea.

I might be interested in buying an Ocean Blue 2012 SL with full battery capacity and low miles from a private party forum member in CA. If you are about to trade yours in and want to sell it outright instead, perhaps for a little more, post if for sale in the classified section here and or let me know via a PM.

oxo said:
I might be interested in buying an Ocean Blue 2012 SL with full battery capacity and low miles from a private party forum member in CA. If you are about to trade yours in and want to sell it outright instead, perhaps for a little more, post if for sale in the classified section here and or let me know via a PM.

Mine is a 2011 White Pearl SL, and while it is relative 30k is not really low miles as compared to many other Leafs, so not quite what you're looking for. I'm not quite ready to sell, want to see first if CVRP remains at the same amount and funded for 2013/14 as I'm thinking between a 2013 Leaf or a Honda Fit EV, and being able to offset the cost via this rebate is pretty high on my list. If CVRP is lowered again I might just drive my Leaf for 3-4 more years.

Back