San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. :)

If the owner really had something to do urgently (and if both sides were working), leaving for 45-60 minutes isn't that big a deal since once his DC charge was done, the next car would automatically be charging. That's the cool part of the Blink design. (VW ERL has a one hour limit; charges could possibly take more than 30 minutes depending on your state of charge and target.) But since it's half broken, parking in the middle might have been the best thing he could do... ;-)

grommet said:
With one of the charging sides still broken there, he might have done you a favor parking in the middle... I don't think hose 1 is long enough to reach across to parking spot 2 and a properly parked LEAF's charging port, or vice versa.

The right side is still off line and now that you pointed that out, you might be right, the hose is pretty short. I felt bad blocking the L2, a plug-in Prius drove through looking for a charge while I was parked there. I was not expecting to see a car unattended at a QC, especially without a note. To answer Eric, I was there about 3:15 this afternoon. I was only there about 10 minutes, but I think the guy I let charge after me was going to leave him a note. For now I'm going to give him a break for the parking job, might have been the best place to be, but not for leaving his car there without any contact information. If someone would have been at the L2, anyone needing the QC would have been SOL.

Ready2plugin said:
I felt bad blocking the L2, a plug-in Prius drove through looking for a charge while I was parked there.
AFAIK, the AV L2 is private (as are the nearby ChargePoint L2 units) and not available to the general public.

lemketron said:
Ready2plugin said:
I felt bad blocking the L2, a plug-in Prius drove through looking for a charge while I was parked there.
AFAIK, the AV L2 is private (as are the nearby ChargePoint L2 units) and not available to the general public.

Weren't they talking about San Ramon Blink?
The AV L2 is in Belmont/SanCarlos VW ERL.
Easy to get them mixed up since they both have a Blink L3 with one broken port...

grommet said:
That's the cool part of the Blink design.
:lol: The un-cool part, is that at least one side seems to always be broken. Seems like any given Blink public charger is only operational about half the time, so the 2 ports helps it be usable twice as often. :roll:

-Phil

:lol:

Well, at least for VW ERL/Belmont unit, the left unbeloved Yazaki CHAdeMO nozzle jammed/broke (no longer able to connect to your vehicle's inlet)... it wasn't the Blink bits. So it was good they had a spare to the right. ;)

--Ron

The Good news is that Yazaki finally redesigned their "pig":

quick_outlet_neo.jpg

-Phil

Awesome. March 2013 can't come fast enough. :lol: Until then, let's hope everyone remembers there are competitors... Sumitomo, Fujikura, etc.

--Ron

R.I.P. Old Gen Yazaki - You won't be missed:

quick_outlet_ulce.jpg

Both are of interest. A 6.6kW module would allow fuller use of the existing 30A capable J1772 stations. 50A capable circuits could provide 12kW. I prefer the higher power but size, portability, access to >30A circuits and cost would also weigh in the decision.

My uneducated hope is that a "home built" portable 12kW unit would cost ~$2000 in parts so I guess ~$4000 for an assembled unit. This assumes it would not be UL or CHAdeMO approved. I also expect this is not a viable business model unless the power supply was mass produced.

Please spare me any barbs for my naivete.

Ingineer said:
91040 said:
If this is a 10-12kW Portable DC charger, I'll buy it!
How much is it worth to you? I've got a prototype in development, but it's been put on hold temporarily for LEAFSCAN. I've also got an add-on module to double charge speed. (6.6kW)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I've also got an add-on module to double charge speed. (6.6kW)

-Phil

Please tell us more about the 6.6 kW add-on.

As to a portable lower-amperage DC, I think the market would be limited, unless you got the price much lower than I'd think is possible.

However, if you, or anyone else, could sell a UL approved ~9.6 to 19.2 kW CHAdeMO, installed, for ~5 to 10 thousand dollars per unit, you could sell quite a few of them, to all sorts of businesses, that could find a 50 to 100 amp 240V circuit, to spare.

The sales pitch, as delivered to one of the potential buyers, the sit-down casual restaurant owner:

-Inexpensive installation and operation, allows recovery of purchase and installation cost in a relatively short time, with a mark-up on each charge, per kWh, of 100% or less.

-Drivers will stop at his/her business, rather than the dozen others on a given highway exit.

-Charge rate is fast enough to remain attractive to customers, even after the (undoubtedly poorly planned and located) State-subsidised 50 kW DCs are installed (when and if that ever happens).

I think this would probably be a fairly easy sale today, in a strategic location like Vacaville, if the market had not previously been so muddied by the public L2 promotional "free charging" fiasco, and the expectations held my some EV drivers, that L2 should, or will, remain subsidized, indefinitely.

FWIW, a portable DC charger with higher amps (but less than 50kW) is higher in priority for me than a LEAFScan. If it's priced less than whatever is the lowest priced model on the market, then I am certainly interested.

Ingineer said:
91040 said:
If this is a 10-12kW Portable DC charger, I'll buy it!
How much is it worth to you? I've got a prototype in development, but it's been put on hold temporarily for LEAFSCAN. I've also got an add-on module to double charge speed. (6.6kW)
-Phil

The 12kW portable DC charger would be my choice for your next product after LeafScan. To be able to use a 240 volt 50 amp outlet would open up a lot of possibilities. There are lots of these outlets in RV parks around here.

How much would I pay for it ? Not sure really but if it costs less than trading in my 2012 for a 2013 then it would be a pretty good deal.

Ingineer said:

http://www.plugincars.com/mitsubishi-unveils-blackout-inspired-i-miev-power-box-114873.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LPA25.jpg

Back