A newbie question: trip to San Jose to San Francisco

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolle

I'm in the process negotiating LEAF 2013 with QC option in Bay Area.

My commute distance is small, less than 15 miles.

But, it'd be very good for me if I can use LEAF to drive from San Jose To San Francisco. Precisely, it's from the border of Cupertino and San Jose to Golden Gate Park or Crissy Field (under the bridge). Google Maps say it's 50 miles via I-280. I'm travelling this two times per month.

I will just use 110V charging in my garage (I don't have 220V). But, the reason I want to have Quick Charge option is for driving San Jose to SF.

Would be any problems? I'm afraid that charging would be a hassle in SF downtown.

I'd appreciate any opinions and experiences on that (or similar).

Thank you!

newownermnl
Hi and welcome! Please be sure to leave with a full charge in San Jose. Charging opportunities in SF are numerous, but depending on the day and time, the competition for these resources can be stiff. It's probably prudent to have a plan B. This will likely involve picking up a DC fast charge in Belmont or further South (e.g. at Intuit in Mountain View). These stations are all listed on PlugShare. Please be sure to sign up for a Blink card if you are considering this option. You could also borrow one from a local LEAFer before embarking on your trip.

Not sure about 280, but two relatively easy on/off midway on 101 options are at Silver Springs Networks in Redwood City (Woodside Rd exit) and Intuit in Menlo Park (Marsh Rd exit). I have used these multiple times and I can confirm that an L2 is always available.

Both are Blink installations with quick-charge and L2 options, the former currently free. (Even if you don't have a Blink card, you can get by as 'guest' if you have web access on your phone.)

These are corporate park areas, so there isn't much to do while charging.

Pushpak said:
Not sure about 280, but two relatively easy on/off midway on 101 options are at Silver Springs Networks in Redwood City (Woodside Rd exit) and Intuit in Menlo Park (Marsh Rd exit). I have used these multiple times and I can confirm that an L2 is always available.
Great advice. Please note that Silver Springs Networks is only open during business hours, not 24/7, and plan accordingly.

Of all the longer commutes for a LEAF, between SF and SJ is one of the better ones you could pick.
At least, if you use 101 there are numerous charging opportunities between the two.

VW ERL in Belmont is sort of the 1/2 way point where you could QC to make it the rest of the way.

Redwood city has a lot of public chargepoints downtown.

Chrissy field has an L2 near the snack shack where you could charge while there.

The choices in the south bay are a lot more numerous than north of Belmont.
(There are chargepoints at SF airport, but that is expensive parking.)

What we really need is for someone to put in a DC/QC in downtown SF.
Ecotality has their HQ there, so I am surprised that haven't done one yet.

TEG said:
What we really need is for someone to put in a DC/QC in downtown SF.
Ecotality has their HQ there, so I am surprised that haven't done one yet.
+1 I'd be soooo happy if I could drive my Leaf for a day in SF (from Cupertino) without a 6-hour detour for L2 charging. Just like a grownup car!

DeaneG said:
+1 I'd be soooo happy if I could drive my Leaf for a day in SF (from Cupertino) without a 6-hour detour for L2 charging. Just like a grownup car!
Seems feasible if you start with 100% charge from home and get a 20-30 minute spritz from the QC in Belmont on the return. A longer affair if your Leaf is limited to L2 charging.

Pushpak said:
DeaneG said:
Seems feasible if you start with 100% charge from home and get a 20-30 minute spritz from the QC in Belmont on the return. A longer affair if your Leaf is limited to L2 charging.

A long time ago I lived in Cupertino and commuted to SF. I think with hypermiling you'd have a chance going 84 and 101. Fewer miles and level. 280 -- much harder.

Done this trip 4 or 5 times. Agree 101 is the way to go, best L3 is at Evernote parking lot, they have a bright green corporate sign on 101 and building is easy to find with shops and Starbucks close by.

First time I charged at VW couldn't figure out the L3 CHADEMO fixture, another LEAF driver shows up, gets his connection set and takes the charge ahead of me! Nearly unplugged him after he skates off with his son, but I was chill and aborted trip to SF and swam at Coyote Point then charged on the way back. So the hint is do an L3 trial run first, it is a challenge to get them inserted correctly.

Next time I charged at the Presidio, lots of L2 and only me charging at the weekend. Last trip to Giants game, wife loved getting primo parking at EV spot.

BTW Leaf is a really fun car, enjoy.

surfingslovak said:
Great advice. Please note that Silver Springs Networks is only open during business hours, not 24/7, and plan accordingly.
We were able to charge there this morning. A security guard came over, puzzled that the charger was working on a Sunday. He had been informed that it would only work on weekdays.

Small clarification on a throwaway remark I made earlier:
These are corporate park areas, so there isn't much to do while charging.
. There are actually a few places to eat within a short walk of the Silver Springs Network site:
  • The nearest option is a taco truck on Douglas half a block south of Bay (open weekdays)
  • The Cocola bakery across the parking lot on Bay St serves sandwiches etc (open weekends too)
  • A sit-down Mexican dive called Mi Hacienda Taqueria is maybe 200 yards from the Blink array, on Second Avenue and Bay
Costco members may also walk up Douglas St to the store on Middlefield, a mile distant, for unlimited shoptainment.

Back