Purchase or Lease?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbs17

So... anyone want to help me with the decision/numbers? I am in a lease and debating on whether I will bite on another now to purchase or lease.... or should I wait?
I am in Georgia, so I have $5k rebate until end of June.
I have a leased 2014 Leaf Model S currently and have 10 months left at $219. I have 12k/yr and am about 3k miles over right now.
I could get somewhere around $229 for new lease.
I could buy new for $23k which includes the $3500 Nissan cash back right now... so out the door would be $25.6k (at least near that) and then would get $7.5k federal, $5k state so really would be out $13.2k for a 2015 Model S.
So... options? I could afford to pay both cars. Dealership said that with me purchasing they will waive my return fee when I turn in at the return date... if i choose to keep it.
If I choose to wait, I would probably purchase used next year. I can't imagine buying new without the rebates. I know used around here go anywhere between 11k and 13k for 2012 and little higher for 2013.
So, what would you do?

nbs17 said:
So... anyone want to help me with the decision/numbers? I am in a lease and debating on whether I will bite on another now to purchase or lease.... or should I wait?
I am in Georgia, so I have $5k rebate until end of June.
I have a leased 2014 Leaf Model S currently and have 10 months left at $219. I have 12k/yr and am about 3k miles over right now.
I could get somewhere around $229 for new lease.
I could buy new for $23k which includes the $3500 Nissan cash back right now... so out the door would be $25.6k (at least near that) and then would get $7.5k federal, $5k state so really would be out $13.2k for a 2015 Model S.
So... options? I could afford to pay both cars. Dealership said that with me purchasing they will waive my return fee when I turn in at the return date... if i choose to keep it.
If I choose to wait, I would probably purchase used next year. I can't imagine buying new without the rebates. I know used around here go anywhere between 11k and 13k for 2012 and little higher for 2013.
So, what would you do?

Buy. You can get a used one for the same price as a new one, so... Buy the new one? Personally I would step it up from the base model. Those creature comforts that are missing today are annoying, but in 5 years will be downright irritating.

Considering the size of the Georgia credit and the fact that its going away soon. I would buy! Get the dealer as low as possible! with $75k Fed, $5K state, and $3.5K NMAC, you'd get a really good deal. I managed to get another $2600 discount form my dealer last August, but our state rebate in CA is only $2.5k so it makes us about even. (although our sales taxes are higher here). If you get an S with QC at that price, out the door with tax and license you should be around $14-15K. Considering gas savings, you'd be hard pressed to lose money on that deal. Even if you only got $10K for the car in 3 years, you'd still break even! The 2015 batteries are way better than before and are holding up very well. I'm also hopeful that in the next few years there will be a replacement battery option with greater capacity which will improve re-sale and also make keeping the car long term an even better option.

Buy it.

To second the above comment, the only single feature I miss on the S model is the carwings and charge timer. The S timer is super annoying! With that said, I'm still not sure I'd pay the extra $3K for the SV with similar features. They make the QC a separate package in the SV so you have to not only upgrade to the SV model, but pay another $1700 for the QC/LED package.

Back