Poll : What is your reason for going Electric ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your primary motivation for buying an EV ?

• Economic : I think it will be cheaper in the long run

Votes: 116 34.3%
  • Environment : Reduce global warming & other ills of fossil fuels

Votes: 88 26.0%
  • Security : Reduce oil import for security reasons

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • Performance : EVs are just superior in some perf parameters

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Geek : I like EVs for their own sake

Votes: 80 23.7%
  • Others : Details in your post

Votes: 25 7.4%

• Total voters
To be the change I wish to see in others. Someone mentioned when DVD's, LCD TV's, microwaves, etc first came out and most people didn't want to change. These things were expensive at first. The reason we have $300 laptops now is because early adopters bought the $2000 laptops back in the day, then a lot more people bought the $1000 laptops a little later on, which kept manufacturers (and the investors behind them) interested in continued development. Unfortunately for those of us who were looking forward to 3D TV's, they came out at the worst possible time during a recession, and not enough people bought them at $2k-$3k, so that fad kind of died out. I know we could have 500 mile range cars for $25k one day, but ONLY if enough take the plunge now with what we've got available. One day we'll look back at a 70-80mile range and laugh, but sales of the Leaf and also Model S are large enough that people are noticing, and this time it's not just Hollywood enviro-hippies but real working class people like me. I love hearing stories on the board about co-workers who've converted, keep at it Leafers!

gigglehertz said:
To be the change I wish to see in others. Someone mentioned when DVD's, LCD TV's, microwaves, etc first came out and most people didn't want to change. These things were expensive at first. The reason we have $300 laptops now is because early adopters bought the $2000 laptops back in the day, then a lot more people bought the $1000 laptops a little later on, which kept manufacturers (and the investors behind them) interested in continued development. Unfortunately for those of us who were looking forward to 3D TV's, they came out at the worst possible time during a recession, and not enough people bought them at $2k-$3k, so that fad kind of died out. I know we could have 500 mile range cars for $25k one day, but ONLY if enough take the plunge now with what we've got available. One day we'll look back at a 70-80mile range and laugh, but sales of the Leaf and also Model S are large enough that people are noticing, and this time it's not just Hollywood enviro-hippies but real working class people like me. I love hearing stories on the board about co-workers who've converted, keep at it Leafers!

I liked this post.

That is true but it is also true that none of those things required the user to give up anything in return, they simply added to what they already had in terms of capabilities. In a sense, an EV is different in that it requires one to give up range, and for the immediate future at least, we have to keep that in mind...

gigglehertz said:
Someone mentioned when DVD's, LCD TV's, microwaves, etc first came out and most people didn't want to change. These things were expensive at first.

Economy and environmental issues are cute but were not my motivation for getting a LEAF.
I put in other because I don't qualify as a geek, but I have always been an early adopter of any new technology.
to me the LEAF is a fun toy, I am a retired "old" conservative who only goes out in the car when I need to, that said, I use the LEAF 95% of the time I get into a car since I brought it home.

I chose "economy" because that was the deal maker in the car equation but most of the other options apply to me as well. With my Leaf lease I'm driving a new car for less money than I was paying for gas.

The range issue was bothersome until I objectively looked at my own driving. My last spontaneous road-trip of over fifty miles was sometime in the nineties. I kept my old vehicle so if I need to travel further I just need to swap first.

Remember, the Leaf can be charged every night at home. I have the full range available every morning. No more "crap I have to fill up on the way to work, I hope I make it to the station" moments for me.

it puts a smile in my day every time i drive it.
smooth, quiet and quick.

i rotated and balanced my tires yesterday. that added to the smooth.
also dropped pressure from 43 to 41psi.

jlsoaz said:
gigglehertz said:

I liked this post.
me, too

tstaton said:
jlsoaz said:
gigglehertz said:

I liked this post.
me, too
Well said. Except I have to laugh at the $2000 laptop. My old professor bought the original IBM PC or maybe XT. I think he went with the high end color monitor, maybe 640 KB RAM, dual floppy, can't remember about the hard drive). Total price was more than $5000 in 1982-3 dollars. :eek:

I was spending between 400 and 500 a moth for gas for my Nissan Quest. I bought a used Leaf with 5500 miles for 23 grand. My car payment --electric bill increase ---and insurance is about 420 a month. So when it is paid for it is really a free car in gas savings. I think it is a great car and in the 8000 miles I have drove it in the last six months I have hardly a complaint.

I am self employed and run a small Guitar repair, restoration, custom shop in the Detroit Metro area http://www.renchguitarwerks.com. I got my 2013 Leaf to use for my business. The ability to lease the Leaf at a great rate, plus the reduced operating costs allows me to offer free pickup & delivery service for my customers. Our local utility (DTE Energy) has a free Level 2 charger program so I can get the 6.6k Level 2 Charge at my house. When I investigated about charging stations in the Detroit Metro area, I was surprised to how many there were. The ability to remotely turn on the climate control while I charge is a blessing. If I need to run into the store for supplies I can turn on the AC to keep any Guitars in my Leaf from getting too hot which could damage them. I have not driven the Leaf in the Winter yet so we shall see how it impacts my range.

I am extremely pleased so far with the 2013 Leaf SV. Each day my range anxiety gets a little better as I realize that there a many places to charge. One day I may do the EVSE upgrade and get a bunch of adapters. Then I can really go just about anywhere. Every time I drive the Leaf I take it just a little further. It's fun to drive.

Mike R

Our #1 reason was the Georgia tax credit which applied to leases. That combined with the fuel savings, and being able to sell our 99 Honda 2 years earlier than anticipated made a 24 month lease pretty much break-even for us. I enjoyed installing our EVSE and we drive the Leaf pretty much everywhere around town. I do hope Georgia gets some quick charge stations sooner than later .. In planning longer trips I see if I can make it to TN we are pretty good for visiting friends there with the number and location of QC stations, but the trick is making it there, and then back home. For now I think we'd have to do at least one L2 charge which will add significant time to the trip, but it might be worth the adventure.

I needed a new car, but couldn't afford gas and car payments. So I leased a Leaf and skipped the gas payments and maintenance costs. Besterest best decision I've ever made!!!

I work for Proterra. We make an all electric bus. We have L2 charging stations in primo parking spots. Free charging + helping EV awareness + fantastic lease price + so fun to drive + stopping at gas stations to pick up a coke and pack of gum only = recipe for awesome-osity!

Is there an option for all of the above?

I had been lusting after an electric car since Tesla showed us all what could be done with electric vehicles.

The real turning point was the supreme court deciding that the government could decide what type of fuel goes into our gas tanks. When the government gets into a fight with automakers, the owners lose.

I traded in my hybrid for a leaf the week after the decision, and have been extremely happy ever since. I can see how the need for QC infrastructure is required for having an electric vehicle as a sole method of transportation. Luckily I live in the northwest, and QC is available all along the interstate so charging is not a problem.

Last reason, Its so quiet! I love being able to have conversations with my passengers while driving.

Georgia Resident - Purely Economic.

The cheaper 2013 Lease rates from Nissan combined with state/federal tax incentives finally made the Leaf a viable option as a secondary, (mostly commute only), type car for our family.

Reducing our collective foreign oil imports would be a 2nd reason, if given the opportunity to pick another reason.

sonnylax said:
Georgia Resident - Purely Economic.

The cheaper 2013 Lease rates from Nissan combined with state/federal tax incentives finally made the Leaf a viable option as a secondary, (mostly commute only), type car for our family.

Reducing our collective foreign oil imports would be a 2nd reason, if given the opportunity to pick another reason.
If it is doing most of the miles you drive, it is your primary car. The lower mileage vehicle is your secondary car.

Environment factors. Keeps me up some nights on how we as a mankind are such a selfish race. That includes me. I would like to think that I did my part in making an effort to get my children to hopefully breathe less polluted air.

I voted Other.
I bought to support forward looking companies and to be able to show other people the benefits of driving electric.
It was a tough choice as I have many reasons I drive electric.
If I lived in another region I would have probably picked environmental. However, the area I live in still uses a lot of coal. So while I believe EVs in general will help CO2 emissions, for me, where I live, not so much.

The fact that they are simply better, instantly responsive, and more convenient is not something I was aware of when I first bought an EV. However, it is now a really big reason as well.

Back