Poll : How old are you - Take II

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your age is ...

• 35 - 39

Votes: 85 12.7%
  • 30 - 34

Votes: 73 10.9%
  • <30

Votes: 52 7.8%
  • 40 - 44

Votes: 95 14.2%
  • 45 - 49

Votes: 94 14.1%
  • 50 - 54

Votes: 89 13.3%
  • 55 - 59

Votes: 76 11.4%
  • 60 - 64

Votes: 52 7.8%
  • 65 - 69

Votes: 31 4.6%
  • >69

Votes: 21 3.1%

• Total voters
JasonT said:
The only anomaly is the 30-34 spike. It makes me wonder if the curve is representational of Leaf orders and the 30-34 spike is due to internet usage tending towards the younger demographic. Although most likely it's just that our numbers are too small to make any meaning of the data.
Yes - I find that spike surprising. But for that we have a normal distribution centered around 50.

I'm 34.... might be 35 by the time I get the LEAF... haha - I hope not. That would be a long wait as I only turned 34 a couple of months ago.

Maybe a category for 70> and 80> would be more telling....I feel a bit guilty of voting undercover in the 69> category when I am in the 80> category......oh, well....live with it... :D .

mrxxmas said:
Maybe a category for 70> and 80> would be more telling....I feel a bit guilty of voting undercover in the 69> category when I am in the 80> category......oh, well....live with it... :D .
Then you probably take the most senior tag. There was a thread on that recently.

BTW, I'm limited to 11 choices - otherwise there would have been more.

JasonT said:
Looking at the numbers there's a pretty normal "curve" peaking at the 50-54 age. The only anomaly is the 30-34 spike. It makes me wonder if the curve is representational of Leaf orders and the 30-34 spike is due to internet usage tending towards the younger demographic. Although most likely it's just that our numbers are too small to make any meaning of the data.

I think that the BEV market is mostly 2-car households (which skews older); we are also looking at first-movers and adopters (can afford the premium price, and are willing to trade up/in their current ride irrespective of age/wear). Finally, this poll only applies to web-savvy people who have found this BBS, so while it's great to know what this group looks like, I doubt that total Leaf registrations in 2014 would paint the same picture of the owners group.

mrxxmas said:
And I thought we had that "oldest" title locked up. My wife is 80, and she will be driving the LEAF occasionally. Besides, we live in a community property state, so she is half-owner even if it is going to be "my" car. (She got "her" Prius four years ago.)

I added one more to to 30-34 demographic. With any luck I will still be in my thirties by the time that I take delivery of my LEAF! ;)

evnow said:
JasonT said:
The only anomaly is the 30-34 spike. It makes me wonder if the curve is representational of Leaf orders and the 30-34 spike is due to internet usage tending towards the younger demographic. Although most likely it's just that our numbers are too small to make any meaning of the data.
Yes - I find that spike surprising. But for that we have a normal distribution centered around 50.

I don't see 30-34 a spike, I see 35-39 a doughnut-hole. :)

I ordered mine at MSRP (Houston dealers want all the money). So $35830 was my sales price and if it was not for the $7500 off the price I would have probably said buying the leaf was not cost effective. As one of the 30-34 years old folks I am glad to see that people of all age brackets are interested in the Leaf. There needs to be a slot for parents who are purchasing for their kids.

evnow said:
JasonT said:

Have you heard of the "Baby Boom Echo"? Take the age of most of the boomers (I am older than any of them, by the way) and subtract 20-25 years, and there you go--another peak in age distribution. It is not quite as large as the first boom, though.
Gregg

starry said:
Have you heard of the "Baby Boom Echo"? Take the age of most of the boomers (I am older than any of them, by the way) and subtract 20-25 years, and there you go--another peak in age distribution. It is not quite as large as the first boom, though.
Interesting ... but does't explain the spike, though.

Boomers were born from 1946 to 1964 i.e. 65 to 47 years of age now. Their kids would be between 45 to 22 years ?

That is a large range ....

evnow said:
starry said:
Interesting ... but does't explain the spike, though.

Boomers were born from 1946 to 1964 i.e. 65 to 47 years of age now. Their kids would be between 45 to 22 years ?

That is a large range ....

I think baby boomers are not distributed evenly in this range....more were born closer to 1946....so the bubble would mean more in the 55 to 65 age group...with kids in the 30 to 40 age group.

LeafinThePark said:
I think baby boomers are not distributed evenly in this range....more were born closer to 1946....so the bubble would mean more in the 55 to 65 age group...with kids in the 30 to 40 age group.
Even so - why the spike in 30 to 34 (or why a dip in 35 to 39) ?

evnow said:
LeafinThePark said:
Even so - why the spike in 30 to 34 (or why a dip in 35 to 39) ?

Boom is 45-65 or so, Bust is Gen X, and Boom again is Gen Y; most baby-boomers had their kids in their late 20s and early 30s, so by around 1980 they started having kids and this causes the bump we see from 30-34. Also, green started (well, technically more with Teddy Roosevelt, but that's another story) with the Baby Boomers so naturally many of them will want LEAFs and other environmentally friendly things. So will their kids.

Now, the Great Leap Forward generation of China, that's what I worry about. Talk about a work force bottleneck. They'd better get those robotic healthcare assistants on line soon or we're going to see some major upheaval in the PRC.

BrendanDolan said:
I'm a young guy. 27, and hopefully not 28 by time my LEAF comes in. :lol:

I'll be lucky if I can get any electric car before I turn 40; I doubt a lot of things will happen before then, though. And no, that's not this year.

I'm 27 and just took delivery today. Does that make me the youngest owner so far on here?

The dealership was quite surprised.

Back