Percentage who use Leaf as only vehicle?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does your household fleet consist of?

• Single EV household

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Two+ EV household

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • EV / PHEV household

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • EV / hybrid household

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • EV / ICE household

Votes: 35 44.3%
  • PHEV / hybrid household

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PHEV / ICE household

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (No plug-ins, if you have 3+ vehicles choose the closest match above instead of this)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Ok, thanks.

mxp said:
Here you go:

Dual LEAF households:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now a One Car LEAF Family.... (gulp???)
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We got rid of our ICE car back in Mar 2012.

Picked the only category that was close enough but we're 3+EV as we're a 3 driver family (4 cars) -- LEAF, smart for two coupe, Miata and a VW Routan. The Routan is the utility/long trip car that may get swapped for a new Ford C-Max hybrid or plug-in Energi; reason being is that it's also my winter commuter when the Miata gets stored and getting harder to justify keeping it (have been keeping track of when a smaller amount of space would work just as well). We recently took a long weekend up to Door County in WI with the Routan and one thing I won't do is give up the higher driving position back to a sedan -- being able to see what traffic is doing way in advance, etc. has always been a favorite thing of mine with past SUV's (owned 2 Isuzu Trooper's which started the whole thing) and now this being our third minivan.

Our LEAF has worked well as a daily commuter for any of the 3 drivers as well as our 'go to' car for most weekend errands but there are those occasions when more range or storage, etc. is needed and having something in the garage versus the hassle to rent something is an 'opportunity' cost we'll see how long we want to pay for. This is one reason that I would be interested in Nissan offering an ICE temporary rental program depending on convenience and cost. If they did and it was an attractive option, we would downsize the minivan to a PHEV with the ride height we're looking for -- the C-Max is in-between, higher than a sedan but lower than a full-size SUV and probably only need the Nissan ICE rental when we need the extra space that our minivan gives us. Ideally, if Nissan went the Zip car route (but with more mileage allowance) with a lock box, and online reservation service, etc. that would be great -- of course Zip car's rates make it only feasible for very short periods so again this wouldn't be attractive for someone to take a Nissan ICE for a week long trip vacation!

One thing I haven't explored much (and perhaps others will post their experiences here) is how much and how long, etc. did you seek out an alternative when your LEAF's range just simply wasn't going to cut it --- in state, out of state, how long, etc.

I would guess we're all pre-planners with the need to charge it as well as limited range so I'm sure those with the LEAF as their only car this has come up ...

We have the Volt and the Leaf. We had the Volt about 6-7 months before taking delivery of the Leaf.. Almost all of our trips fall well within the Volt's EV range so for us getting the Leaf was a no brainer. If we go on any longer trips obviously we just take the Volt. Other than that we predominantly drive the Leaf unless both of us have to be somewhere at the same time. I think realistically a Leaf and PHEV is the best combination. Although the PHEV would need to be something bigger for the long term like the Fusion Energi or something.

GetOffYourGas said:
MrIanB said:
Traded my 370z for leaf this January and have not looked back or missed it. I work from home and hate to drive [...]
I have to ask - if you hate to drive, why did you have a car like a 370z?
I guess so that he could get to the destination quickly and stop driving!

GetOffYourGas said:
MrIanB said:
Traded my 370z for leaf this January and have not looked back or missed it. I work from home and hate to drive [...]

hating to drive can be an acquired taste. I went from loving it (in MI in the lesser populated areas) to hating it (in WA where I-5 is the only real route North and is a daily crawl past several bottlenecks)

getting the LEAF has actually gotten me to "tolerating" driving...

GetOffYourGas said:
MrIanB said:

Because I can and when I do drive, I want to drive in style and enjoy the ride. Also because when I do drive, it seems to bring out the worse drivers around me. I am not a speedster but drive defensively as I have 7 weeks left before my last wreck 5 years ago comes off my record and my premium will drop about 30%. Even when driving slow in the Leaf, it is frustrating all the moving violation, bad driving habits you see in front of you. Can someone recond a camera to install, record and post here.

Ian B

wishboneash said:
A LEAF, a Honda Civic CNG and a regular ICE. The CNG was my commute car before the LEAF. Range: 100, 200, 400 miles respectively.

Impressive collection of alternative fuel sources! Three cars, three fuels. How would you rate them against one another? I've never owned or driven a CNG car. Do you use "Phil" at home, and how does that compare to juicing up your Leaf?

GetOffYourGas said:
wishboneash said:
A LEAF, a Honda Civic CNG and a regular ICE. The CNG was my commute car before the LEAF. Range: 100, 200, 400 miles respectively.

Impressive collection of alternative fuel sources! Three cars, three fuels. How would you rate them against one another? I've never owned or driven a CNG car. Do you use "Phil" at home, and how does that compare to juicing up your Leaf?

Thanks. I didn't install the Phil because I felt I wasn't going to keep the CNG car long term. It would have been $2,000 or so out of pocket for a car worth about $7,000. Since the range was about 200-220 miles depending on how good the pressure was I got at the NG pump, I had to visit the pump every 2 or 3 days. The CNG stations are few and far between and require even more planning than the EV (which you can pretty much painlessly recharge every night at home using L1 or L2 charging). The CNG infrastructure being touted by some as an alternative to gasoline is a sham. Practically speaking, one can only fill one vehicle at a time at a commercial filling station. Massive infrastructure upgrades would be needed to be able to fill multiple vehicles as in a regular gas/EV station. It is OK for commercial vehicles who can do this round the clock if needed and wouldn't mind waiting half an hour if needed to refill their trucks. The only good thing is that if this infrastructure is in funded and implemented, some day, it could be re-used for hydrogen (which requires even higher filling pressures, close to 10,000 psi). I feel the most practical alternative fuel is still the BEV (a 200 mile range would be ideal), with the hybrid being a stop-gap solution (I had a Prius as well, before I got the CNG car!).

My dear one would go into cardiac arrest if I insisted that he give up his MC, 1988 Pickup or 1934 Truck. I'm actually ready to sell my BMW MC as I haven't the itch to go to a gas station to fill up.....

These are the results of the poll (thanks to moderators for getting it up and running) as of this writing:

What does your household fleet consist of?
Single EV household 18% 12 ]
Two+ EV household 9% [ 6 ]
EV / PHEV household 5% [ 3 ]
EV / hybrid household 21% [ 14 ]
EV / ICE household 45% [ 30 ]
PHEV / hybrid household 0% [ 0 ]
PHEV / ICE household 0% [ 0 ]
Other (No plug-ins, if you have 3+ vehicles choose the closest match above instead of this) 2%[ 1 ]
You may select 1 option
Total votes : 66

There are several things that look interesting to me including an answer to the question of the percent of BEV drivers who have or buy or retain a non-pluggable ICV to go along with their BEV (44/65 = 67%)

I wonder if the Volt forum has any poll like this, or if the moderators there might consider putting up a poll so we could compare results?

I held on to my Toyota Yaris during my first year of LEAF ownership, just in case I needed it.

As it turns out, I didn't need it a single time.

I sold it this weekend, after putting a new battery in it.

So now the LEAF is my only car.

It was SUCH a relief to finally ditch my ICE.

Paying insurance every month on a car I didn't drive was no fun.

Back