parking too far from house - extension cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnrhansen said:
There's really nothing easier than building an extension cord. Are there really people out there who can't do it? I think its more fear than inability. Im sure there are plenty of videos on you tube to show how. ...
Unfortunately the answer is YES.
There is a very large % of people that are not competent to do this even with good instructions and YouTube videos.
And even less that are competent to do the EVSE mod for 12 amps.
A significant % aren't really competent to safely operate and maintain a lawnmower.

As someone who was doing TV maintenance at 12 years old it is hard to fathom, but it is the reality.

Why do people who have spent years acquiring the skills to fabricate wiring assume that everyone is just born with those skills? I built a generator patch cord once, but it wasn't easy and it wasn't simple. And I do have wiring experience. Why can't we all just crochet, play chess well, and build our own homes? Because it requires learned skills. Sheesh.

TonyWilliams said:
We have the JLong J1772 extension cord, in lengths up to 40 feet. I have one in stock right now in that length.

It will work with any J1772 EVSE, including Clipper Creek or the EVSEupgrade.

JLong passes through ALL of the safety features, including ground, GCFI protections, pilot signal, and proximity. Ours is the only product on the market like it.

Extension cords that you can build or buy do not offer these protections.
$399
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm;jsessionid=CEC36674591ABAD25912BEE94A41324D.m1plqscsfapp06" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnrhansen said:
The only time I am really scared is when I am disconnecting a 240 volt outlet. They have such thick, long pins and require 2 hands to pull the plug out. Im surprised more people haven't been electrocuted this way. My humble opinion is each and every one should have a a disconnect in sight distance. Newer rv parks are like that...
I'm guessing that you are talking about 14-50 plugs and the like. They aren't really intended for plug/unplug cycles (how often does an electric stove or clothes drier get unplugged?). That's why EVSEupgrade.com uses L6-30 plugs (and L6-20 before that, on the 12 and 16 Amp versions). Very safe to plug and unplug, unlike using a 14-50 outlet and plug. A disconnect on 14-50 outlets is a good idea. (Don't RV parks have an off switch for their pedestals? It's been awhile since I've been to one.)

Like you I built my own 240 V extension cord, which I used to reach a 240 V outlet in a park that was too far from the parking area for the EVSE alone. Mine uses L6-20 ends, since that's what my EVSEupgrade uses. The downside of doing that is that the cord ends aren't waterproof so I have to wrap them if it is raining. It's fine for rare opportunity charges but I sure wouldn't use an extension cord on a daily basis.

I guess it depends on how you grew up. I learned how to build extension cords without help at age 10, but everyone in my family were mechanics. I guess you just absorb it. I think the main thing was that I knew it could be done because I saw people doing it. They never taught me though. I still think though that people could do anything they wanted to if they would only try hard enough.

I guess it depends on how you grew up. I learned how to build extension cords without help at age 10, but everyone in my family were mechanics. I guess you just absorb it.

I grew up tinkering with things too, but house current was rarely among them.

Back