parking too far from house - extension cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing from your UserName you are some kind of school teacher...

Maybe you could work into your weekly schedule a trip to raritan valley community college, in Bridgewater, and use the charger then for few hours, With your driving 16/rt you would need to charge every 4 day or so.

Maybe you can go to the College Library and grade papers then? As a teacher you can probably get access account to the college WiFi.

mctom987 said:
alanlarson said:
You will be charging more often than you think. Remember, the Leaf has the equivalent of about a 2 gallon gas tank
Depends on how you look at it.
If you're talking about range, I'd say closer to 4. The average car gets 23MPG, and the Leaf is EPA rated for 85 miles.
If you're talking about energy, it's 7/10 of one. The battery is 24kWh, and a gallon of gas is equal to 34kWh.

Yep, I tell people that my LEAF has the equivalent of a 3-quart gasoline tank, but it gets over 100 "miles per gallon".

I don't care for the idea of a semi-permanent extension cord. It defeats an important safety aspect of the EVSE. Using it for 240V increases the danger. Using it outside increases the danger. Daily unplugging and coiling increases the danger. And you're going to get really tired of that routine.

I'd seriously consider your other idea of running conduit to a pedestal near the car. Aside from better safety, plugging in is a joy when you can plug and unplug the EVSE by standing in one spot. Not so much of a joy if you have walk around, coiling and uncoiling 50 feet of cord. I'd at least get an idea of cost before rejecting this out of hand. You can probably save a good deal by digging the trench yourself. You can rent machines to do this. That way the electrician doesn't have much more work, just pulling a longer run of wire.

In the meantime, I'd see about parking near the house on a temporary basis. This way, the trenching may be seen as welcome activity :)

LeftieBiker said:
Using it for 240V increases the danger.

Hoe so? It's my understanding that the electrocution danger is higher with 120 than with 240.

Higher total energy - L1 @ 1.4kW vs L2 @ 3.3 kW or higher. Higher voltage can drive more current through a body. Also, more likely for partial contact to deliver a shock. Also, if connections are unplugged while actively charging, there's a greater chance of an arc.

I've been told that 120 volt AC power is too close to the human heart's cycle (hertz?) and that it will cause cardiac arrest more easily that 208-240 volts.

LeftieBiker said:
I've been told that 120 volt AC power is too close to the human heart's cycle (hertz?) and that it will cause cardiac arrest more easily that 208-240 volts.
Frequency of US power is all 60Hz regardless of the voltage.

I did a quick search because it annoys me that I can't remember, but it seems that 240 volts kills fewer people, even when adjusted for other factors, than 120. The exact reason isn't known for sure, but the theory is that 240 tends to 'throw' the person in contact away from the power source, while with 120 they are more likely to just hang on and die. I couldn't find the original source in my brief search...

Nubo said:
... You can probably save a good deal by digging the trench yourself. You can rent machines to do this. That way the electrician doesn't have much more work, just pulling a longer run of wire. ...
Just don't forget to have the underground survey done first!!!
I hired someone to use a tractor to get rid of a stump 20 years ago.
Just barely pushed on the stump and large diameter 6" gas line broke.
I was very fortunate no fire and no bill from the gas company.

A few years later phone company couldn't feed cable through contractor buried conduit.
They had machine and buried 200' of cable in less than five minutes.
They didn't do underground survey either.
Don't do that!
Get the free underground survey!

Nubo said:
... Also, if connections are unplugged while actively charging, there's a greater chance of an arc.
Don't do that!
Always plug EVSE into vehicle last and disconnect first.
But people make mistakes and mess up which is part of why extension cords are a bad idea.
Especially with children and pets present which the OP said is the case.

Quite a few people reporting on MNL started with extension cords. Many have stopped and put things in right either due to hazzle factor, problems, tripping on cords, etc.
Better to do it right to start with if you want to drive an electric car.
We all want that.

Jeff hi,

First, don't panic! I had my moment of panic in August 2012 when I got back home with a brand-new leased Leaf, and found out the 25-foot trickle cable is literally a foot or two too short for comfort... and then like you and everyone else, read the ominous warnings in the vehicle book about never ever using an ext. cord.

I called the dealership when I got it, and they said, as long as you use a thick enough extension cord, and a proper outlet, don't worry about it.

And indeed, for 2 years this has been our sole home charging "terminal": a 25-foot 12-gauge outdoor ext. cord, of the type you get at any hardware store, connecting a grounded 15-amp outlet on our front porch to the Leaf's EVSE. on rainy nights we place the connection on something (say a frisbee or a planting-pot base) and cover it with a circular kids' snow sled, just in case.

We passed all battery checks with flying colors. We never needed to install an L2, because our typical daily driving was not even 20 miles (it's a less-than-commute car, b/c we commute by transit and walking).

Mind you, our porch outlet was installed at least some 30+ years ago. It's up to snuff but not brand-new by any means. The charging current never goes near 15 amps, so if it's rated 15 you should be good to go. An overheating outlet, as some commenter wrote, indicates an under-rated outlet (some are rated only 10A), a worn-out outlet, or poor electrical work.

We did bust one extension cord after about a year. Its plug just physically broke - which reflects very well on how hardy the Leaf's L1 EVSE is.

Now we have a 2014 Leaf, whose EVSE looks even better. Per my reading, the designation "emergency only" has been removed from the Leaf driver book's description of the L1. I think they realized so many people do it on a regular basis.

We did buy a Clipper Creek HCS-40 now (up to 7.2kW), which can connect to my wife's kiln in the garage, on a 50-amp NEMA 6-50 outlet. But we did it because the 2014 has the ability to use 6.6kW, and only as an emergency backup if we need to charge in a hurry and don't want to go sit somewhere and charge - our garage location is extremely inconvenient for nightly parking, and its interior is all taken up by her studio anyway. Objectively it's probably a poor investment ($665), but I thought it'd be nice to support Clipper Creek and have this back-up charging method that might come in handy on some road trips with the right adapters.

Anyway, get that 12-gauge cord, and don't spend extra money before you know you really need to! That's my 2 cents at least :)

Oh, and congratulations on your Leaf!

Assaf

LeftieBiker said:
I did a quick search because it annoys me that I can't remember, but it seems that 240 volts kills fewer people, even when adjusted for other factors, than 120. The exact reason isn't known for sure, but the theory is that 240 tends to 'throw' the person in contact away from the power source, while with 120 they are more likely to just hang on and die. I couldn't find the original source in my brief search...
Since residential 240 in the U.S. is delivered as split-phase, both of the wires are only 120 volts from ground. Thus, if you touch one of the 240 leads, you get a 120 volt shock.

If that seems unclear, consider this:

------------ +120
\
/
------------ neutral
\
/

Obviously, + and - have less meaning for alternating current, but consider the instant that the top lead is +120, the bottom will be -120. The 120 volt devices connect to the neutral and EITHER the top or bottom. The 240 volt loads connect to the top AND bottom. So, if you touch one of the 240 volt leads, and are grounded, you will get 120 volts.

Assaf said:
Mind you, our porch outlet was installed at least some 30+ years ago. It's up to snuff but not brand-new by any means. The charging current never goes near 15 amps, so if it's rated 15 you should be good to go. An overheating outlet, as some commenter wrote, indicates an under-rated outlet (some are rated only 10A), a worn-out outlet, or poor electrical work.
I was such a commenter. The outlet was a 15 amp outlet in a group fed with #12 wire by a 20 amp breaker. The charger pulls 12 amps, continuously, until one gets near end of charge. Note that the 80% rule requires that a 15 amp circuit not be loaded to more than 12 amps (80%) for continuous ( car charging is defined as continuous ).

I found that after an hour, the outlet, plug, and 8 - 10 inches of cord were uncomfortably warm, to the point that the plastic was softer. I replaced the outlets in that box with heavy duty 20 amp outlets.

Cheap outlets don't grab the plug as tightly as heavier duty ones. Sometimes the connections inside a molded plug are less solid than they should be. Sometimes the wires are just pushed in the cheap clips in the back of the outlets. Any of these can make the outlet run warm when it is at its maximum continuous load. As they run warmer, sometimes they tend to run warmer as a result of that, and eventually get hot enough to catch fire.

In the current EVSE for 2014 (and I hear 2013 is the same), the plug has a temperature sensor to protect against this. It would be really good if that sensor could protect the outlet in your house, instead of just the end of a cheap extension cord.

Now we have a 2014 Leaf, whose EVSE looks even better. Per my reading, the designation "emergency only" has been removed from the Leaf driver book's description of the L1. I think they realized so many people do it on a regular basis.
That better looking EVSE has warning indicators that the plug is too hot. Read the instructions that were packed with it in the back of the car.

I believe that protection is removed if you do the evseupgrade thing.

The chances of a fire or damage are quite slim. The consequences are substantial, especially since you are probably charging while you sleep.

@alanlarson thanks for the additional insight and input.

As indicated, that's how we've been charging for 2 years solid, an average of 2-3 nights a week. So I feel pretty good about it... touch plug...

Perhaps we are saved by the fact that our house's first owner was an electrician. The house is 67 years old, but the porch plug looks 1970s or 80s, and he made it sturdy... He did leave knob-and-tube in the attic for the house's main floor, and the 2nd owners cared more about interior design than infrastructure. It took us (or rather, people we hired) to yank those out :)

Down the road as BEV technology matures and stabilizes, we might set up some pedestal/something as people has recommended to Jeff. Hopefully vehicle-to-grid will be available by then - for sure I'd install such a port once it's relevant. But as long as we can squeeze trickle out of our current set-up, and our daily driving doesn't drastically increase - it's fine with us, esp. now that we have that backup HCS-40.

Cheers, Assaf

Since residential 240 in the U.S. is delivered as split-phase, both of the wires are only 120 volts from ground. Thus, if you touch one of the 240 leads, you get a 120 volt shock.

I understand about split-phase wiring. I was referring to people who actually come into contact with 240 volts - probably through some means other than handling the power cord. The study probably included Europeans, BTW. I can't imagine doing such a study and not including the countries that rely on 200+ voltage for everyday use.

The only time I am really scared is when I am disconnecting a 240 volt outlet. They have such thick, long pins and require 2 hands to pull the plug out. Im surprised more people haven't been electrocuted this way. My humble opinion is each and every one should have a a disconnect in sight distance. Newer rv parks are like that.

I haven't heard much here on how important it is to use a water resistant cord, and use heavy duty, industrial ends on that cord. A cheap made in china cord will not do. The best bet is to just build your own The cord is run at it's maximum capacity for hours unattended. If you install an outlet, don't buy the cheap 19 cent ones. Spend a few bucks on a good one. I'd even go as far to say just replace an outlet you will use for charging anyway, just for fun. If the cord is plugged into an outlet far away from the car, make a placard stating do not disconnect. Ev charging in progress.

Its true, a guy can go overboard buying charging equipment. Ive spent thousands. But its fun for me to build stuff.

LeftieBiker said:
Not everyone should try to build a 240 volt electrical extension cord. Some really should just buy one.
which returns you to this fine cord
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55195-Extension-PowerGrip-Handle/dp/B0024ECIP0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1408047858&sr=1-1&keywords=14-50+extension+cord" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's really nothing easier than building an extension cord. Are there really people out there who can't do it? I think its more fear than inability. Im sure there are plenty of videos on you tube to show how. As for that campco cord, I bought one with tt30 connectors because I had a really hard time finding quality ends, and I dont use it much. While its quality is acceptable, the cords I built out of sow cable are way better. I found this cord was a bit inflexible and hard to coil up.

EnvSciTeacher said:
Clipper Creek said they couldn't sell me a longer corded model. (EVSEUPgrade seems to be on vacation right now.)

Is it possible/reasonable to safely get a 20-30 ft of super-heavy duty extension cord to extend the reach of my EVSE? Clipper Creek said it was _possible_ but they were not recommending it.

We have the JLong J1772 extension cord, in lengths up to 40 feet. I have one in stock right now in that length.

It will work with any J1772 EVSE, including Clipper Creek or the EVSEupgrade.

JLong passes through ALL of the safety features, including ground, GCFI protections, pilot signal, and proximity. Ours is the only product on the market like it.

Extension cords that you can build or buy do not offer these protections.

Back