Pace of build-out of US DCQC network, some frustration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slow1 said:
Doesn't the size/weight of the charger come into play here too? I am under the impression that the weight of a charger capable of 43kW would be considerably greater than a 6.6kW model. Thus it comes at the cost of efficiency loss due to carrying more weight around in the vehicle....
My hand-wavy argument is that since the car's power distribution module is ALREADY capable of delivering near-CHAdeMO power levels into the battery during regeneration, all you'd need to do is connect that capability to the AC powerline instead of the motor terminals, and Bob's your uncle. Re-using the same PDM functions for battery recharge ought to eliminate the weight and cost of what is now a separate battery-charging subsystem This would be offset somewhat by the need for a slightly more complicated switching function (probably another contactor), and the need to upgrade the PDM electronics' reliability to account for its increased utilization.

Of course, my naive assumption that when the motor operates as a generator, its "equivalent circuit" model is close enough to that of an AC powerline to allow that sort of direct substitution might not be correct. In that case, some semi-impressive magnetics and extra electronics might well be required. But just as the trade press carries weekly announcements of revolutionary new battery technologies (sooner or later one of them's going to actually work...), strides are also being made in improving solid-state power-conversion systems...

Chademo is incredibly slow, and people don't seem to realize this. A 20 minute charge on a Supercharger is equivalent to nearly an hour or more on a chademo.

That adapter will serve little more use than the emergency 110v/240v connector. People will only use it in a specific, tiny few situations, and this addition will not boost the popularity or desirability of chademo by any substantial amount.

eloder said:
Chademo is incredibly slow, and people don't seem to realize this. A 20 minute charge on a Supercharger is equivalent to nearly an hour or more on a chademo.

That adapter will serve little more use than the emergency 110v/240v connector. People will only use it in a specific, tiny few situations, and this addition will not boost the popularity or desirability of chademo by any substantial amount.

I don't know. What about situations where someone has a 60 kWh Tesla, or even 85 kWh and for whom the location of superchargers isn't quite sufficient? I recall talking to someone a couple of years ago about a Tesla driver somewhere in the NorthEast that was really unhappy with their 60 kWh Tesla since there was no decent fast charging along their route. Unless or until there are even more superchargers out there (and I don't know what sort of density Tesla is going for), won't there be corridors where a moderate speed compromise would be quite helpful to some Tesla drivers?

Kind of to the side: I spoke with a company recently that is deploying an L2 station that they say is equipped with a Tesla adapter of some sort. I guess they're saying that this will enable Tesla drivers to use that L2 at 70 amps. I guess this would be somewhere around 16 or 17 kW AC, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

eloder said:

Supercharger only works on the Model S w/Supercharger access. Not everyone wants to/can spend that kind of money nor wants a car that large or that has seems to have significant reliability problems (e.g. drive units seem to commonly develop noise and battery contactor).

Incredibly slow? It's a lot faster than charging at ~6.6 kW on L2. Small battery vehicles have limits as to how quickly they can accept charge. The Leaf can't sustain even 40+ kW charge rates for very long before ramping to below that. Higher wattage DC FCs won't do any good on such vehicles.

I don't know your EV ownership history, but you seem to be singing the praises of the Smart ForTwo ED that you don't have yet that has a slow 3.3 kW OBC and no DC FC capability. That is slow to charge.

cwerdna said:
eloder said:

Supercharger only works on the Model S w/Supercharger access. Not everyone wants to/can spend that kind of money nor wants a car that large or that has seems to have significant reliability problems (e.g. drive units seem to commonly develop noise and battery contactor).

Incredibly slow? It's a lot faster than charging at ~6.6 kW on L2. Small battery vehicles have limits as to how quickly they can accept charge. The Leaf can't sustain even 40+ kW charge rates for very long before ramping to below that. Higher wattage DC FCs won't do any good on such vehicles.

I don't know your EV ownership history, but you seem to be singing the praises of the Smart ForTwo ED that you don't have yet that has a slow 3.3 kW OBC and no DC FC capability. That is slow to charge.

The smart ED isn't designed for longer trips, and I'm perfectly fine with that. It costs less than half as much to lease as a Leaf in Ohio so I would expect it not to do as much as a Leaf. What irks me about the Leaf is that it costs so much more than the ED but lacks very important liquid TMS features found in the Volt/Tesla/smart/others that almost completely prevents long-term battery degradation--and that degradation is leaving a majority of EV early adopters to believe that battery degradation is standard and acceptable to all EV tech.

My comments are mostly geared toward people who think that a Chademo buildout is important. Chademo is going to be obsolete once the next generation Leaf comes out, and I don't think people realize that. 150+ mile range Leaf is going to take too long to charge on longer trips on Chademo, while the higher range also substantially decreases the need to charge away from home/work. A level 3 charger buildout should focus on the next generation of charging, whatever that might be for the non-Tesla crowd--every non-supercharger built to date so far is a couple of years of being no more useful than a destination charger, and dealerships tend not to be the best place for a destination charger.

What they really need to do is quickly develop the next charging standard for chademo, and begin deploying that in places suitable to support intercity travel. I'm sure it could have backwards compatibility just level 2 chargers do between 6.6kw and 3.3kw vehicles. They should not keep deploying tech for a first-generation EV built in 2011.

eloder said:
My comments are mostly geared toward people who think that a Chademo buildout is important. Chademo is going to be obsolete once the next generation Leaf comes out, and I don't think people realize that. 150+ mile range Leaf is going to take too long to charge on longer trips on Chademo, while the higher range also substantially decreases the need to charge away from home/work.
I don't quite agree with this in the case of my personal "longer trips". For me, those are either 180 miles or 270 miles, one-way, and even when I used an ICE car, I would often stop on 100-mile increments anyway (not always, though, I have to admit). Assuming that a 100-mile recharge of a 150-mile-capable battery would charge at or near the full CHAdeMO rate, but take about 50% longer than the current LEAF battery, I'd be fine with that. When I plug my existing LEAF into the CHAdeMO in Centralia and go across the street for a hamburger, I find that I can't finish the meal quickly enough to get back and stop the charge before it runs up into the above-80% region that (according to my superstition, anyway) overheats the pack. Having the QC take an extra ten or fifteen minutes would work out just about perfectly.

The next generation LEAF will be 150-200 miles and use 200 amp / "100kW" CHAdeMO chargers, and be backwards compatible with the slower 25-50kW ones (max 125 amps).

The actual maximum charge rate will be 400 volts * 200 amps = 80kW.

TonyWilliams said:
The next generation LEAF will be 150-200 miles and use 200 amp / "100kW" CHAdeMO chargers...
Is your source for that information inside Nissan and credible :?:
Confirmed from two sources :?:

TimLee said:
TonyWilliams said:
The next generation LEAF will be 150-200 miles and use 200 amp / "100kW" CHAdeMO chargers...
Is your source for that information inside Nissan and credible :?:
Confirmed from two sources :?:

Both pieces of information are easy to find... Nissan, at the highest levels, has been bragging about their longer range LEAF, now apparently with LG cells.

The CHAdeMO spec has been 200 amps from its inception. You do the math.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=415851#p415851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is starting with one CHAdeMO / SAE unit with conduit for additional chargers acceptable at each location?

Yes, a single station with both CHAdeMO and SAE charging standards should be the minimum. We recommend alternating 50 kW and 100 kW units to provide a network that is adequate for both the current short-range EVs (charge at 50 kW every 40 miles) and support the longer range EVs to be introduced in 2017 and later (charge at 100 kW every 80 miles).

As stated above, there needs to be at least two L2 charging stations at each location (with infrastructure to add more if needed) to serve as backup for failure as well as overflow capacity. More than two may be required for higher traffic areas and local needs.

Since no current 100 kW DCFC units are currently available, we recommend that these alternating sites have transformers and other infrastructure capable of 100 kW operation. All sites should have conduit installed to meet this future eventuality.

What are the minimum requirements for a site?

Sites should provide (in descending order):

1) 24 hour / 7 day availability (not locked in a parking garage or limited access private area)
2) Safety / security & comfort (lighting, adjacent to some services, etc)
3) Highway exit signage that conforms to existing WCEH standards set by Oregon, Washington and British Columbia
4) Parking lot signage with logical and easy to follow directions
5) Parking stalls marked with California Vehicle Code (CVC) 22511 language

Highly valued criteria (in descending order):

6) Restrooms
7) Food service
8) Shading from sun, possibly with solar PV panels

Additional Remarks

The DCFCs will have to be easy to use and be well maintained for long distance corridor charging networks to be successful. It would be ideal if all corridor DCFCs could accept at least one common form of payment, e.g., a credit card and optionally the addition of a common network card. Second, locating them close to the corridor highways (within 5 minute drive time). The stations need to be publically available at all times (24 x 7 x 365) to all compatible vehicles.

Reliability / Uptime

The CEC provided significant leadership in prior years to support the rollout of charging stations with significant value enabling EV sales growth. Unfortunately, we are seeing that several brands of DCFCs have shown high mortality rates and are undergoing expensive repairs and / or have long lead times to repair. Certainly, a downed charger increases costs, but beyond that, a downed station may create a break in the chain that prevents many EVs from transiting the corridor. Just as important, it takes away confidence in the use of public charging stations.

We recommend three actions:

1- With respect to failure rates, require 10 year warranties on all equipment. The warranty might have two components, a 5 year base warranty by the DCFC manufacturer and / or distributor of that equipment, and an extended warranty which might be funded by the station owner. The warranty should cover parts and labor.

2- A target of 99% uptime should be required. Each proposal for a station should have a manufacturer’s preventive maintenance plan supported and implemented. The uptime requirement would be exclusive of rare preventive maintenance with published down times at late night. Lack of preventive maintenance is a high source of failures, particularly with high amperage equipment in hot locations, as is with much of WCEH.

3- Reliability issues often arise from the payment and networking components. The individual DCFCs must be capable of operating when the network, card reader or fob reader doesn’t work. In other words, the default setting is that it ALWAYS works, and that the networking and payment methods are additions. This is a significant change from the status quo. Care should be given to avoid solutions that increase station failure rate. It’s not uncommon for us to see failures with credit card readers at gas stations. In that case, a gas car driver can switch to another reader or go inside a station to pay, ensuring they won’t be stranded. We need a level of dependability and driver confidence on the same level as gas stations.

Maintaining the DCFCs in operational status with infrequent faults is essential for providing a reliable network. Status information (vacant / non-operational / in-use) must also be available via the internet (for instance, on the CalTrans site) or a mobile app (ideally in real time).

These are wonderful suggestions Tony.
Do you see anyone actually installing DCQC with your suggestions in mind?

Thanks Tony.
I concur what you stated is likely.
Was just looking for clarity on whether you had sources that confirmed, or whether it was well founded speculation that was based on several pieces of info.

TimLee said:
Thanks Tony.
I concur what you stated is likely.
Was just looking for clarity on whether you had sources that confirmed, or whether it was well founded speculation that was based on several pieces of info.

I did send a note to the LEAF manager in Japan and the Nissan west coast EV guy, and they declined to confirm or deny 200 amp CHAdeMO or a longer range LEAF.

eloder said:
The smart ED isn't designed for longer trips, and I'm perfectly fine with that.
Neither was the Leaf. If you watched Revenge of the Electric Car, when Leaf was still in the planning stages, Carlos Ghosn himself in a meeting said he didn't care about the long range scenarios.
eloder said:
It costs less than half as much to lease as a Leaf in Ohio so I would expect it not to do as much as a Leaf.
I wouldn't consider a Smart ED.
eloder said:
What irks me about the Leaf is that it costs so much more than the ED but lacks very important liquid TMS features found in the Volt/Tesla/smart/others that almost completely prevents long-term battery degradation--and that degradation is leaving a majority of EV early adopters to believe that battery degradation is standard and acceptable to all EV tech.
Yes, it's a big flaw that the Leaf doesn't include active battery thermal management, at least with the non-lizard batteries. It remains to be seen how the "lizard battery" does in hot climates like Phoenix and not as hot climates like the LA area.

As for "almost completely prevents", all li-ion batteries will degrade, even thermal management.
eloder said:
My comments are mostly geared toward people who think that a Chademo buildout is important. Chademo is going to be obsolete once the next generation Leaf comes out, and I don't think people realize that. 150+ mile range Leaf is going to take too long to charge on longer trips on Chademo,
It depends on how long the trips are and how many charges are required/done. The existing Leaf on the same trip on whatever that "longer trip" is would take even longer than that 150+ mile range Leaf.

The Smart ED is FAR worse w/no DC FC capability and a lame 3.3 kW OBC.
eloder said:
What they really need to do is quickly develop the next charging standard for chademo, and begin deploying that in places suitable to support intercity travel. I'm sure it could have backwards compatibility just level 2 chargers do between 6.6kw and 3.3kw vehicles. They should not keep deploying tech for a first-generation EV built in 2011.
Even Frankenplug (at Combo1 flavor of SAE Combo) isn't backwards compatible w/J1772 L1 and L2 charging. In most vehicles, Frankenplug wouldn't even physically fit on a non- Combo1 equipped car due to the area underneath the J1772 connector being blocked on the car side.

So, if you feel that CHAdeMO is "too slow", then 25 kW CHAdeMO DC FCs (e.g. http://www.americas.fujielectric.com/sites/default/files/DC%20Quick%20Charging%20-%20FEA%20Comparison%20Study%20%20(25kW%20vs%20%2050kW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)%207-3-12.pdf), 20 kW DC FCs from ABB and 24 kW Combo1 DC FCs (e.g. http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/07/bmw-i-announces-new-dc-quick-charger.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) must be really useless, to you.

I've spoken to someone in the about CHAdeMO in Japan and he told me about what they term "intermediate charging" CHAdeMO stations there. It was definitely below 44 kW. I don't recall the typical amount/range he gave, but IIRC (memory foggy), 20-25 kW would fall within there. Not sure what the upper bound of that is.

Leaf was not a "first-generation EV". The first electric cars were built in the 1800s. I guess you could call cars from around the GM EV1 and 1st gen Toyota Rav4 EV "first-generation".

TonyWilliams said:
Zythryn said:
These are wonderful suggestions Tony.
Do you see anyone actually installing DCQC with your suggestions in mind?

Yes.

Do you believe this can be done in a profitable way? I.e. can it be done without public subsidies? Will EV drivers be willing to pay the actual cost of power, install, monitoring, and maintenance in sufficient numbers?

My supposition is that this is a niche market for those traveling longer distances. Certainly there are a lot of folks who do this (just look a the highway traffic) but how many have to be converted to EV's before there is sufficient demand to cover the costs?

For all the Tesla hype about "free" supercharger networks - it really isn't free. It is 'pre-paid' as part of the vehicle purchase. This may well be an optimal business model that other vendors could adopt, but putting an extra $10K on the cost of a vehicle in the Leaf price range will certainly impact sales. I can say that given the choice of a lower price or getting free DCQC for my Leaf I'd take the lowered price as I don't intend to drive it outside the 60-80 mile R/T range.

Slow1 said:

For all the Tesla hype about "free" supercharger networks - it really isn't free. It is 'pre-paid' as part of the vehicle purchase. This may well be an optimal business model that other vendors could adopt, but putting an extra $10K on the cost of a vehicle in the Leaf price range will certainly impact sales. ...

It certainly doesn't cost an extra $10,000.
For the Tesla, the cost of the option is $2000, not $10,000.

I hope Tony is right and we see a network (other than Tesla's) that meets his outline.
I would not be surprised to see this regionally.
A nationwide network will, IMO, be much more challenging for anyone other than the car manufacturers.

Zythryn said:

I hope Tony is right and we see a network (other than Tesla's) that meets his outline.
A nationwide network will, IMO, be much more challenging for anyone other than the car manufacturers.

As to cost, it is difficult to estimate and if you have ever taken a finance class you know that there are a wide range of values you could assign to the cost/vehicle (i.e. how many years worth of production and how many total vehicles produced/sold in that time do you divide the fixed cost over?). Anyway I apologize for tossing a specific number into the discussion. My point is there is a material cost and it has to be paid by someone. Question on the table is whether there is sufficient demand that consumers would be willing and able to cover the cost. My own estimate of the cost to build out and support such a network is very high - especially one that meets the rigors of Tony's outline.

I believe that a network as Tony has suggested would be very nice indeed. But being a bit of the pragmatic type I won't hold my breath. Yes, eventually the demand may be there to support such a buildout, but my opinion is that due to the uncertainty of future demand the reward appears insufficient to justify the risk. I further suggest that there is insufficient public will pay for this out of public money as the vast majority (and opponents) would see this as tax dollars subsidizing the few owners of BEVs. Even as a BEV owner and supporter I can't honestly say I believe this is the proper way to spend public money.

Car manufacturers indeed may well have the financial resources and 'clout' to be able to makes such a thing happen. IF they were to work together (at least choose and stick to a standard interface) it could speed up deployment/adoption significantly. However the traditional auto companies would have to experience a dramatic shift in their perception of the BEV future. Nissan perhaps came closest to embracing the viability of BEV and thus we have the Leaf - will others jump in? If another auto manufacturer were to build out such a network, I suspect they would desire to keep others from benefiting from it and thus would be likely to embrace proprietary interfaces (plugs, whatnot) to protect this competitive advantage.

Slow1 said:
Do you believe this can be done in a profitable way? I.e. can it be done without public subsidies? Will EV drivers be willing to pay the actual cost of power, install, monitoring, and maintenance in sufficient numbers?

My supposition is that this is a niche market for those traveling longer distances. Certainly there are a lot of folks who do this (just look a the highway traffic) but how many have to be converted to EV's before there is sufficient demand to cover the costs?

1) Profitable for each individual station? Not a chance. We are attempting to promote EV travel, and while most people won't drive from Mexico to Canada, they might want to drive from Crescent City to Ukiah. Or San Diego to Yuma. Or Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Of Medford, Oregon, to Redding.

2) Profitable as a network? Maybe, in ten years, if there is sufficient electrcity cost mitigation (battery storage / solar). Demand fees alone can kill it. We also need a million EVs. We get to a million EVs by, in part, giving future EV owners the peace of mind that they aren't going to be stuck in one spot.

3) Long distances - you don't have to travel long distances, as discussed above.

CALIFORNIA West Coast Electric Highway

Green Route - I-15 (Ashland, OR / Portland to San Diego - 837 miles - Google maps + 5%

Ashland / Portland
38 miles - Yreka
38 miles - Mt Shasta
36 miles - Lakehead
25 miles - Redding
30 miles - Red Bluff
42 miles - Chico
25 miles - Oroville
29 miles - Yuba City
43 miles - Sacramento
36 miles - Lodi
23 miles - Stockton
32 miles - Modesto
14 miles - Turlock
25 miles - Merced
34 miles - Madera
25 miles - Fresno
18 miles - Selma
32 miles - Tulare
33 miles - Delano
32 miles - Bakersfield
40 miles - Lebec
32 miles - Castaic
21 miles - Santa Fernando
24 miles - Los Angeles
43 miles - Irvine Spectrum
13 miles - San Juan Capistrano
42 miles - Encinitas
26 miles - San Diego

Blue Route - US-101

Crescent City / Oregon Coast to San Francisco (374 miles, Google maps plus 5%

Brookings
26 miles - Crescent City
42 miles - Orick
36 miles - Arcata
36 miles - Scotia
40 miles - Garberville
23 miles - Leggett
22 miles - Laytonville
22 miles - Willits
22 miles - Ukiah
29 miles - Cloverdale
39 miles - Santa Rosa
37 miles - San Rafael
18 miles - San Francisco

San Francisco to Los Angeles - 398 miles - Google maps plus 5%

22 miles - Foster City
28 miles - San Jose
33 miles - Gilroy
29 miles - Salinas
17 miles - Gonzales
30 miles - King City
21 miles - San Ardo
35 miles - Paso Robles
31 miles - San Luis Obispo
33 miles - Santa Maria
33 miles - Buellton / Solvang
40 miles - Santa Barbara / Goleta
40 miles - Oxnard / Ventura
23 miles - Thousand Oaks
40 miles - Los Angeles

Yellow Route

San Francisco to Reno - 229 miles - Google maps +5%

San Francisco
32 miles - Vallejo
31 miles - Vacaville
35 miles - Sacramento
33 miles - Auburn
28 miles - Alta / Blue Canyon
19 miles - Cisco Road / Norden
22 miles - Truckee
32 miles - Reno

Orange Route - I-15

San Diego to Las Vegas - 347 miles - Google maps + 5%

San Diego
30 miles - Escondido
29 miles - Temecula
40 miles - Riverside
14 miles - San Bernadino
40 miles - Victorville
32 miles - Barstow
37 miles - Afton Rd
26 miles - Baker
25 miles - Valley Wells Safety Rest Area
26 miles - Primm, NV
43 miles - Las Vegas

Brown Route

Los Angeles to Blythe / Phoenix - 235 miles - Google maps + 5%

Los Angeles
30 miles - Pomona
34 miles - San Bernadino
34 miles - Cabazon
35 miles - Palm Desert
42 miles - Chiriaco Summit
20 miles - Desert Center
41 miles - Blythe Airport

Red Route

San Diego to Yuma / Tucson - 182 miles - Google maps+5%

San Diego
29 miles - Alpine
33 miles - Live Oaks Springs
29 miles - Ocotillo
28 miles - El Centro
21 miles - Holtville (10 miles east)
41 miles - Yuma / Tucson

Slow1 said:
Zythryn said:

As to cost, it is difficult to estimate and if you have ever taken a finance class you know that there are a wide range of values you could assign to the cost/vehicle (i.e. how many years worth of production and how many total vehicles produced/sold in that time do you divide the fixed cost over?). Anyway I apologize for tossing a specific number into the discussion. My point is there is a material cost and it has to be paid by someone. Question on the table is whether there is sufficient demand that consumers would be willing and able to cover the cost. My own estimate of the cost to build out and support such a network is very high - especially one that meets the rigors of Tony's outline.

The cost will be supported with tax money and auto manufacturer contributions. I suspect that Nissan will continue to donate / subsidize the build out. BMW and VW have entered the arena, too.

I believe that a network as Tony has suggested would be very nice indeed. But being a bit of the pragmatic type I won't hold my breath. Yes, eventually the demand may be there to support such a buildout, but my opinion is that due to the uncertainty of future demand the reward appears insufficient to justify the risk.

I'm sorry, but I'm not "uncertain". Maybe Faux Nooze is uncertain, but anybody paying attention isn't uncertain about EVs. The only question is how quickly it all happens.

California should be LEADING, not following Oregon and Washington in this endeavor.

I further suggest that there is insufficient public will pay for this out of public money as the vast majority (and opponents) would see this as tax dollars subsidizing the few owners of BEVs. Even as a BEV owner and supporter I can't honestly say I believe this is the proper way to spend public money.

Tax dollars already subsidize EVERY electric vehicle... and gasoline ones, too.

Car manufacturers indeed may well have the financial resources and 'clout' to be able to makes such a thing happen. IF they were to work together (at least choose and stick to a standard interface) it could speed up deployment/adoption significantly.

They aren't going to work together. They are competitors, and further, EVs are competitors to their profits with cheaper to produce oil burning cars. Hence, the CARB-ZEV program.

However the traditional auto companies would have to experience a dramatic shift in their perception of the BEV future. Nissan perhaps came closest to embracing the viability of BEV and thus we have the Leaf - will others jump in? If another auto manufacturer were to build out such a network, I suspect they would desire to keep others from benefiting from it and thus would be likely to embrace proprietary interfaces (plugs, whatnot) to protect this competitive advantage.

I think the comments by Porsche recently are the best indicator yet of an EV future. In California, the hydrogen camp is remaking themselves into "hydrogen - electric vehicle", which is very telling of the momentum behind EVs (and lack of momentum even with HUGE handouts per hydrogen vehicle produced).

The recommendations of the Electric Auto Association, Electric Vehicle Corridor Charging Group are excellent.
Too bad these guidelines weren't used when the eVProject was installing stations.

The ten year warranty requirement through the equipment supplier is critical.

The lack of that is what killed the free DCQC experiment by Murphy Express in Chattanooga. Dead in the water because of a failed $3,000 control board.
Such a shame to see it sitting there unusable.
Everyone loved it.
The manager knew it was bringing in LEAF customers that would probably not be there except for the DCQC.

But it will only work if long term maintenance is planned and funded.
Long equipment warranty is the only way to assure that.

Back