Only 200 Leafs in 5 markets for December Delivery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rainnw said:
they have about 30 customers who reserved in April and May (reservations started in April) who are still awaiting their invitation to order, and Ishak said he knew of five confirmed April orders that did not receive an invitation today (had those come through, they would have bumped his orders up to 11 Leafs).

I would have thought a reservation on 4/20 would have put me into this group as well, but not only did I not receive one of these emails, I also received this one around 8/27:

Hi #####, thanks for reserving your 100% electric Nissan LEAF™. We just wanted to let you know you'll be able to order your new Nissan LEAF in November 2010. We'll send you an e-mail when it's time to work with a dealer to pick your car's color, review options and get a quote.

Why November 2010? What did I do wrong? I really have to wait for mid 2011?

I preordered on 4/20 and live in AZ. Was told I can order in October!
I think everyone who preordered on the first day who lives in one of the 5 chosen states should have been able to order in August. Looks like Nissan didn't agree.

avanti5010 said:
rainnw said:
they have about 30 customers who reserved in April and May (reservations started in April) who are still awaiting their invitation to order, and Ishak said he knew of five confirmed April orders that did not receive an invitation today (had those come through, they would have bumped his orders up to 11 Leafs).

I would have thought a reservation on 4/20 would have put me into this group as well, but not only did I not receive one of these emails, I also received this one around 8/27:

Hi #####, thanks for reserving your 100% electric Nissan LEAF™. We just wanted to let you know you'll be able to order your new Nissan LEAF in November 2010. We'll send you an e-mail when it's time to work with a dealer to pick your car's color, review options and get a quote.

Why November 2010? What did I do wrong? I really have to wait for mid 2011?

I think everyone who preordered on the first day who lives in one of the 5 chosen states should have been able to order in August. Looks like Nissan didn't agree.

That was the original plan, but when they decided to let Japan have most of them, we got the shaft.

I have a registration that permits me to order in November with an estimated delivery date around next April. Under these circumstances, I am considering buying a different brand of electric car. Does anybody have information on any other companies that expect to actually deliver electric cars to customers in the first half of next year?

Desertstraw said:
Does anybody have information on any other companies that expect to actually deliver electric cars to customers in the first half of next year?

LOL. Why do you think Ghosn said they have no competitors ... ?

BTW, which state are you in ?

ps : End of 2011 we may see Ford Focus EV and Mitsu iMiEV. But they haven't announced any details about launch, price or availability... of wait. There is Coda - but only available in CA, apparently.

pps : I guess you already know about Tesla roadsters.

leaffan said:
That was the original plan, but when they decided to let Japan have most of them, we got the shaft.

If Nissan changed their plan again, and is sending more cars to the US, and if we can actually buy one in 2011 rather than 2012, then we may have Leon Kamins to thank for forcing their hand.

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1045537_want-a-2011-nissan-leaf-youre-too-late-for-now
May 25, 2010
Unless you're already one of the 20,000 people who have already put their names down and paid a deposit for the 2010 Nissan Leaf you won't be getting one this year. Nissan have sold out.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/08/1...only-3-300-leafs-will-be-available-in-u-s-by/
Aug 16, 2010
Leon Kamins, general manager of Mossy Nissan of Kearny Mesa and Poway, posted the following: Nissan initially wanted a lot more (10,000), but decided to launch in Japan in January, which diverted two thirds of the cars.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/24/nissan-rep-confirms-delivery-of-25-000-leaf-evs-to-us-by-the-end/
Aug 24th 2010
Mark Perry, Nissan's director of product planning says that the statement from Mossy Nissan was "purely speculative," and that product allocation is decided based on customer orders. Furthermore, he says the company is still targeting around 25,000 units for the US by the end of 2011.

walterbays said:
If Nissan changed their plan again, and is sending more cars to the US, and if we can actually buy one in 2011 rather than 2012, then we may have Leon Kamins to thank for forcing their hand.

You know the original source of that 3.3K is this forum ? Perry just denied it without giving the actual delivery figure. SO I don't place much faith in his denial ...

evnow said:
You know the original source of that 3.3K is this forum ? Perry just denied it without giving the actual delivery figure. SO I don't place much faith in his denial ...

Yes, I read it here first. Companies don't like to give their production and sales projections, and I don't fault Nissan for the secrecy. But if they now need for PR reasons to make Leon a liar, and if they accomplish that by increasing production in Japan, accelerating construction of the Smyrna and Sunderland plants, or increasing the allocation to the U.S., then that's great. It's also fine if they are increasing the U.S. allocation because of high registrations in the U.S. (They clearly can't base allocations on order volume if they only allow a tiny fraction of would-be customers to place orders.)

Well I only want my new Leaf in Jan 1 so a small delay would be of little concern.

I find it hard to believe only 200 cars in the USA. They would have to be building the cars one at a time to be that slow!!

walterbays said:
... But if they now need for PR reasons to make Leon a liar, and if they accomplish that by increasing production in Japan, accelerating construction of the Smyrna and Sunderland plants, or increasing the allocation to the U.S., then that's great.

LOL. Only in Soaps such things happen ...

avanti5010 said:
rainnw said:

Did you order late in the day or right when the email arrived?

Did you use a Debt card instead of a CC?

Both of those answers would put you later in the year. Sorry.

Gonewild said:

I already checked with CS about the CC vs. Debit card. They told me it is by the date/time you reserved, not by the date the CC or DC clears.

leaffan said:
Gonewild said:

I already checked with CS about the CC vs. Debit card. They told me it is by the date/time you reserved, not by the date the CC or DC clears.

Sure- the script readers know.

Nissan has no excuse for what I would characterize as an ordering mess, with discussions here of whether you used a debit or credit card. As one of the first buyers of the Prius, I can testify that it was a clean and open process. Many of us really want an electric car but there is a limit to how much nonsense that I will put up with. I was an early subscriber to the Nissan Leaf website and as such should have received an initation to register on the first day. When I did not get one by the third day, I called and was told that it was an oversight. The consequence of this was that my order date was put back to November. Now my Nissan dealer has told me that only people who responded in the first two hours of the first day of invitations have September order dates. Choosing priority customers by how continuously they monitor their email makes no sense.

Unless a competitor delivers an electric car to the market in the first half of next year, I shall probably still buy a Leaf. However, if Ford accelerates the delivery time on the Focus, BYD starts shipping to the U.S., or Coda decides to sell in Arizona, my next car may not be a Leaf.

Desertstraw said:
Nissan has no excuse for what I would characterize as an ordering mess, with discussions here of whether you used a debit or credit card.

Except that this is the most complicated of all new car rollouts ...

I took delivery of my 2010 prius on may 17th 2009.

There is significant differences Between the 2 companies Their situations and the processes they went through.

The 2010 prius Aldo different in many ways Was still a modification to an existing product. The ramp up to production numbers Was simply not an issue.

The toyota process Was anything but transparent, since they provided us no information at all. I ordered my car In february, choosing a dealer in the process. Then there was no information at all Other than we all knew The production of the vehicles would start In april. The way we tracked the estimated delivery of our cars was by container ship traffic.

Toyota provided us non of this information. We have members at priuschat.com who live in japan near the factory and was lucky enough to see them being loaded on to the boat, so we new a proximate time they would be arriving. But there was no predictability As to who would get theirs first, what areas we get theirs first excetera.

I was called By my dealer When my car hit the port of portland oregon so i could prepare financing. Then i heard nothing for a week until the dealer called to advise me my car is ready for pickup. I was out of town at the time So i'll be picked up my car 4 days later

The nissan process Has provided much more information, but this thing about sending out emails to register at a different site on some sort of adrenaline based internet race is a bit strange.

But at the same time They have very limited stock, time sensitive incentives, and a nation wide invitation.

The prius priority purchase program Was a private invitation program only. Toyota was obviously Not stupid enough To accept more invitations then they had product 4.

But at the same time, nissan is a completely different place. This is new product introduction. The very revolutionary product. Gauging interest is paramount to nissan future plans.

As far as issues with the website Ordering process, there can be literally hundreds of possible causes. I deal with Customer education And very very simple internet processes daily. It's nearly impossible To effectively troubleshoot Everyones website issues Because of the Unlimited configuratio options each person has.

The 1 thing Toyota did right Was doing the entire process By email.

But i prefer the nissan process Because the nissan process gives much more choice. The prius priority purchase program Only had 3 the configurations available. If it were not for the 2000 dollar plus Discount i would have passed. The configuration i chose Ted features i did not want. But the discount still made it cheaper than the package i would have chosen anyway.

They could have made it LESS complex.

1. Make the AV-assessment an optional step, with a "Pass" option right on the Dashboard.

2. Simply make everybody aware (and acknowledge) that they could have the $100 AV EVSE and assessment, and get the strongly recommended L2 EVSE for the home ovenight charging, but that the included L1 EVSE is a possible alternative for those driving only 20 or 30 "easy" miles a day.

3. Display a "tentative" order date ... that might slip.

4. In ordering, display an ESTIMATED time-to-delivery, subject to CHANGE as production rates become better known. If it shows a 9-month wait, you could have the Accept, Bail Out, or Try Again Later options.

I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. Just a few tweeks and less bugs could have made it work smoothly.

I think all the ordering problems can be linked to
- Vendors/Partners (AV/Ecotality) not delivering on promises in time
- Not all important scenarios thought through during the website design
- Probably too many changes / vague requirements for the website
- Inexperienced website designers/developers

ps : Hey - we could have been dealing with offshore customer service :eek:

evnow said:
I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. Just a few tweeks and less bugs could have made it work smoothly.
:eek:

I have to agree. After all i was 1 of those people who had website issues. Granted it took 4 calls To get it fixed But it is fixed Ive made it thru the process In it wasn't really all that much of a hassle.

Back