Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abasile said:
Has any RAV4 EV driver noticed drop-offs in available regenerative braking on long mountain descents, in colder temperatures, or at SOCs around 60-70%? Of course there have to be limits on regen to protect the battery pack. I'm wondering if anyone has a sense as to how much the RAV4 tends to limit regen compared to the 2011/2012 LEAF. I expect that having a larger battery pack means that, all else equal, the RAV4 accepts more regen power. Also, compared to driving the LEAF, a hilltop/mountaintop dweller might be able to maximize regen by starting at a lower SOC, thanks to the increased battery capacity, and still have enough energy to complete a given drive on a single charge.

While I'm not sure that we are yet ready to make the leap to a RAV4 EV, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up being among the first LEAF owners to wear out the brake pads or require significant brake work.

All of that said, I would hope that the RAV4 EV (and Tesla S) is smart enough to not allow too much regen on long descents in certain conditions. While I'd like more regen, it is better to err on the side of protecting the battery pack.

The model S reduces regen if the battery is too cold to accept the current
or when the battery is too full to accept it (immediately after a rangecharge)
but putting on the heater or ac resolves this when battery is too full

jcstp said:
The model S reduces regen if the battery is too cold to accept the current or when the battery is too full to accept it (immediately after a rangecharge) but putting on the heater or ac resolves this when battery is too full
Thanks. That can help. However, a big mountain descent typically involves much more conversion of potential energy than can be absorbed merely by climate control. ;-)

TonyWilliams said:
Toyota is not going to offer these for sale out of California. That wouldn't rate them the CARB ZEV they require. If you do get one out of state, congrats... It would have come from a California Toyota dealer who shipped it to you, or you picked it up there and paid California sales tax.

Following up on this old post, I did some research into the specific situation for WA State erstwhile RAV4 EV drivers. The issue is of sales tax, in particular. Washington has a sales/use tax exemption for alternative fuel vehicles, BEVs most definitely included. California has no such thing.

Therefore the question is whether a customer who intends to register and plate the vehicle in Washington (so should have 0 sales tax liability) would be able to get a vehicle from a California dealer without paying California's sales tax (for which there'd be no refund or offset).

Looks like the answer is that it's not possible, which presents another $4-5k obstacle, as if the warranty/service concerns out of state weren't damning enough: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6613-Do-you-have-to-pay-CA-state-sales-tax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

abasile said:
jcstp said:
The model S reduces regen if the battery is too cold to accept the current or when the battery is too full to accept it (immediately after a rangecharge) but putting on the heater or ac resolves this when battery is too full
Thanks. That can help. However, a big mountain descent typically involves much more conversion of potential energy than can be absorbed merely by climate control. ;-)

Have you tried this, "abasile?

When descending in sub-zero weather with 12 bars of charge, I open all the windows and turn the heater up to 90 f.

I estimate that, between the additional drag, and additional regen, I'm reducing my brake pad wear by about a millimeter every winter...

shikataganai said:
Therefore the question is whether a customer who intends to register and plate the vehicle in Washington (so should have 0 sales tax liability) would be able to get a vehicle from a California dealer without paying California's sales tax (for which there'd be no refund or offset).

Looks like the answer is that it's not possible, which presents another $4-5k obstacle, as if the warranty/service concerns out of state weren't damning enough: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6613-Do-you-have-to-pay-CA-state-sales-tax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course you can buy the car in California (as several have already done in the Seattle area) but DO NOT TAKE DELIVERY in California.

Have it professionally shipped, just like Tesla does with all it's cars.

As long as you have it shipped to an out-of-Cali address you only pay your own state's sales tax. Your dealer will know what to do. That said, they were unable to pay my sales tax with the loan money, which they normally would, because the formula is more complicated for an EV in AZ and they rejected the request from the dealer. You may have the same trouble in WA, but not sure. Check on the RAV4EV forum if you are seriously interested, since someone in Seattle has already purchased one.

It's happening on March 17th and might be live streamed. Not sure if it'll be recorded and available later. See http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more details.

http://priuschat.com/threads/2013-toyota-rav4-ev-driving-impression-review.124335/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a whole bunch more pics of the vehicle, if anyone cares.

Ingineer said:
We have done custom J1772 extensions for people. Inlet on one end and J1772 Handle on the other. We can do any length needed, but be warned the cable is heavy and expensive as it must be rated for 70A.

-Phil

Wouldn't 45 amps (or even 30 amps) suffice for public station charging?

cracovian said:
The length is as important as the size of the wire. The longer the cable, the larger the wire that's needed to prevent too much voltage drop. I'd guess that the 30a cable wasn't sufficient for the increased length. Also, I don't recall having heard of a 45a rated J1772 cable and plug assembly. People building OpenEVSEs on here have either bought 30a or 70a.

edit: Fixed a detail.

cracovian said:
Ingineer said:
We have done custom J1772 extensions for people. Inlet on one end and J1772 Handle on the other. We can do any length needed, but be warned the cable is heavy and expensive as it must be rated for 70A.

-Phil

If you make a passive extension, it has to be rated for the full 70A capability, as you cannot know if someone is going to attempt to use it on a high power EVSE/EV and start a fire. The only other way would be to add electronics, which would put the cost much higher.

-Phil

My sister just bought a RAV4 EV!!! List was $51,000 (had to pay tax on that amount), but got $10,000 rebate from Toyota, $10,000 for California rebate and federal tax credit. Also got 100% financing at 0% (zero percent!!!) interest for 5 years. That also means she will be installing a 240 volt EVSE that I can use when I go to Claremont (most weekends). It's all good. :D

Stoaty said:
My sister just bought a RAV4 EV!!! List was $51,000 (had to pay tax on that amount), but got $10,000 rebate from Toyota, $10,000 for California rebate and federal tax credit. Also got 100% financing at 0% (zero percent!!!) interest for 5 years. That also means she will be installing a 240 volt EVSE that I can use when I go to Claremont (most weekends). It's all good. :D
Wow! That's some news! Congrats :)

surfingslovak said:
Stoaty said:
Wow! That's some news! Congrats :)
I feel like an uncle, and my Leaf now has a cousin to visit. ;)

CF3C09AD-D318-45C6-BA0A-BC3D0EB669B0-712-00000073C8ECC615.jpg

Just saw my first Rav 4 in Port Hadlock Washington. The owner had it delivered from Cali. after $10000 rebate and tax incentives, no sales tax and 0% interest it was a no brainer. I'm jealous!

Back