Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
I'm confident they thought they would have sold 1000 of these things already, and if there was no Model S, I think they might have.

The whole EV game has gone up a huge notch with that car.
+1. Someone at my workplace with a long-ish commute has repeatedly stated that she wants her next car to be an EV. For her needs, I advised that she stay away from the LEAF because the range would be cutting it too close and the battery would degrade faster than desired in the inland SoCal heat. More than once, I suggested that a RAV4 EV could meet her needs very nicely. But she has hardly seemed interested in entertaining the thought, and seemed emphatic that Tesla will eventually be the way to go for her.

I personally like the RAV4 EV, but my enthusiasm for it is tempered for very functional reasons, namely, the lack of a quick charging capability and no AWD option. Even if it had those capabilities, however, I don't think it would make a significant difference in the sales rate.

I have to wonder how low Toyota might be willing to go on the RAV4 EV price. Given that they have a contract in place with Tesla and their need for CARB credits, it doesn't seem likely that they will discontinue sales "prematurely".

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but thanks to a Priuschatter, I learned of TFC (http://www.tflcar.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), which I'd never heard of until today and of this overview video on the Rav4 EV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jU8P7bNhoYQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

They also talked about the 93 miles in normal charge mode and 113 in extended --> 103 miles being the # they could use, per the govt.

cwerdna said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but thanks to a Priuschatter, I learned of TFC (http://www.tflcar.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), which I'd never heard of until today and of this overview video on the Rav4 EV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jU8P7bNhoYQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

They also talked about the 93 miles in normal charge mode and 113 in extended --> 103 miles being the # they could use, per the govt.

Yes, those are the numbers Toyota provided the EPA; 92 and 113 with 103 average. That's very simply 2.7 miles per kWh * 41.8kWh and also 80% of that.

Do they have leasing specials on either this or the Tesla S? What kind of payments if so are out there currently? On the RAV4 is it still around $469/mo with $4000 down?

TonyWilliams said:
The push by Toyota to unload these cars is getting better. Folsom Lake Toyota just did this deal and they have a sliver Rav4 with the same deal (ask for Ben):

$50,845 should be $49,800 MSRP with $200 blizzard pearl and $845 destination charge
-$7,000 north California Toyota cash for their yummy 0% financing (this is $7500 in SoCal)
-$3,857 dealer discount (the biggest one I've heard so far!!!!
$39,988 Woo Hoo!!!! Net sales price

-$7,500 federal tax credit (assumes you have at least $7500 fed taxes to pay)
-$2,500 state tax rebate (no qualifiers except must stay in California for 36 months)

$29,988 net price

Folks who are worried about the dealer invoice are just looking in the wrong place. If a dealer gets a back door incentive to move these cars, and offers you $2000 below their invoice pricing, you just say, "Thank you."

ELROY said:
Do they have leasing specials on either this or the Tesla S? What kind of payments if so are out there currently? On the RAV4 is it still around $469/mo with $4000 down?

Money is cheap for both loans and leases. Tesla will have leases this summer/fall. Toyota does NOT pass through the $7500 federal tax credit on a lease, unlike Nissan and GM (well, everybody who leases an EV except Toyota).

Other than that, I'm sure there are awesome leases, but honestly, $7500 is a lot of money to leave on the table for a lease. I think the last I heard was $3200-$4000 off from Toyota, so they are pocketing $4300 - $3500 when Toyota files their taxes.

I purchased just for this reason.

drees said:
TomT said:
When I happened to stop by last week, Hamer here was doing $4K dealer discount along with all the other offers... They indicated that they had not had an easy time moving them... Said that a number of people were interested but simply did not want an "old-style" SUV... Take it for what it is worth.
Yeah - put the drive train into a sleek looking sedan and it'd probably sell like hotcakes.

Nissan determined the same thing which is why they are moving to a more "sedan" look for future EVs

Well I went to the dark side last week and purchased a 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV. ;) The range is phenominal compared to our LEAF, but it's not as efficient. I'm getting 3.1 to 4.1 miles/KWhr where I can get upwards of 4.5 to 5 miles/KwHr on the LEAF. But where this car excels is in the accelleration in Sport mode (Pun intended). 0 to 60 in 7 seconds flat. :D I can now drive to work and back on a single charge if I hypermile it (126 miles roundtrip). With our LEAF, I've been having to charge for an extra hour in Sutter Creek on the way home to Angels Camp from Rancho Cordova during the cold winter nights as the battery is down about 10 to 12%. Keeping the LEAF for the wife and her flower shop. Also keeping the LEAF for it's QC port that will increase it's range when Nissan puts in the QC Charging Stations at their dealers.

Bassman said:
Well I went to the dark side last week and purchased a 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV. ;) The range is phenominal compared to our LEAF, but it's not as efficient. I'm getting 3.1 to 4.1 miles/KWhr where I can get upwards of 4.5 to 5 miles/KwHr on the LEAF. But where this car excels is in the accelleration in Sport mode (Pun intended). 0 to 60 in 7 seconds flat. :D I can now drive to work and back on a single charge if I hypermile it (126 miles roundtrip). With our LEAF, I've been having to charge for an extra hour in Sutter Creek on the way home to Angels Camp from Rancho Cordova during the cold winter nights as the battery is down about 10 to 12%. Keeping the LEAF for the wife and her flower shop. Also keeping the LEAF for it's QC port that will increase it's range when Nissan puts in the QC Charging Stations at their dealers.

Welcome to the dark side, or the incredibly bright side, depending on your perspective. Ditto on the reduced efficiency, but it doesn't matter because of the thousands of little batteries below your seat. I'm sure in ten years we'll look at inefficient EV's in the same way we look at an inefficient gas-burning cars, but for now most anything is better than an ICE.

I've clicked into Sport mode a few times, but I find the regular mode's acceleration quite brisk and mostly forget that it will actually go faster!

Just found out from another forum.

From http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx?&#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (with a 90024 zip code)
Get 0.0% APR for 60 months PLUS $10,000 Finance Cash on a new 2012 RAV4EV

0.0% APR for 36 months
0.0% APR for 48 months
0.0% APR for 60 months
PLUS $10,000 Finance Cash
Includes Toyota Care

Offer Ends 3/4/2013
Wow!

It looks like it's So Cal only. If I put in a Nor Cal zip (e.g. 95136), it only showing $7K cash back.

Does that mean Tony's going to buy a second one and cancel his Model S order or go w/a smaller battery for it? ;)

evnow said:
cwerdna said:
It looks like it's So Cal only. If I put in a Nor Cal zip (e.g. 95136), it only showing $7K cash back.
Doesn't matter, Dianne will give it for this price.
I know, but I'm in Nor Cal so I likely can't get that amount of incentive from my local dealers.

Dianne's 350 miles away, meaning if I were to jump on it, I'd need to have it shipped.

cwerdna said:
evnow said:
cwerdna said:
I know, but I'm in Nor Cal so I likely can't get that amount of incentive from my local dealers.

Dianne's 350 miles away, meaning if I were to jump on it, I'd need to have it shipped.

You're not out of state, so there's no reason you can't just drive it. Take Southwest down to LA on the first flight and have Diane from Carson Toyota meet you curbside. Make sure you specify to get an "extended" charge.

After purchase and a full charge, go to Santa Barbara and charge for 3-5 hours at the Rabobank 70 amp charger. If you can't get that, the charge will be slower on 30 amp EVSE's. Then drive to San Luis Obispo and spend the night.

Wake up bright and early and go to Rabobank in Salinas (not sure if that one is J1772), then after 3-5 hours, go home.

http://goo.gl/maps/C1qch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna said:
evnow said:
cwerdna said:

Fly down and drive it back. Make it an adventure!

My norcal dealer (Folsom Lake Toyota) discounted my Rav4 another $3,882 on top of the $7,000 from Toyota, so it's about the same or better as SoCal. I didn't see any SoCal dealers discounting with the $10K incentive, but I only looked at a few. I got my Rav4 EV for just under $40K.

mwalsh said:
Nah. That's ok. But yeah, this is getting more and more tempting, esp. given the Rav4 EV's great range compared to the Leaf.

I'd rather pay to have it shipped than to make to an adventure.

cwerdna said:
mwalsh said:
Nah. That's ok. But yeah, this is getting more and more tempting, esp. given the Rav4 EV's great range compared to the Leaf.

I'd rather pay to have it shipped than to make to an adventure.

sure you can ship it for $3-400

This weekend deals that end March 4, 2013:

San Diego

Mossy 888-346-6779 spoke to Alex

(2) blizzard pearl in stock

Carlsbad 888-593-0497 - spoke with Troy Past

(1) blizzard pearl in stock (but possible pending sale

Frank 866-308-9461 - Garrett Mercer

(4) in stock, every color "$1000 under invoice"

Orange County

Tustin- 714-412-8036 Mario "$2000 dealer discount"

(3) in stock, every color

Has any RAV4 EV driver noticed drop-offs in available regenerative braking on long mountain descents, in colder temperatures, or at SOCs around 60-70%? Of course there have to be limits on regen to protect the battery pack. I'm wondering if anyone has a sense as to how much the RAV4 tends to limit regen compared to the 2011/2012 LEAF. I expect that having a larger battery pack means that, all else equal, the RAV4 accepts more regen power. Also, compared to driving the LEAF, a hilltop/mountaintop dweller might be able to maximize regen by starting at a lower SOC, thanks to the increased battery capacity, and still have enough energy to complete a given drive on a single charge.

While I'm not sure that we are yet ready to make the leap to a RAV4 EV, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up being among the first LEAF owners to wear out the brake pads or require significant brake work.

All of that said, I would hope that the RAV4 EV (and Tesla S) is smart enough to not allow too much regen on long descents in certain conditions. While I'd like more regen, it is better to err on the side of protecting the battery pack.

Back