Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
Can someone comment on things Leaf has but RAV4 EV doesn't ?

There are some obvious ones
- QC
- Heated Steering
http://www.toyota.com/rav4ev/features.html#!/interior/4480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says that the front seats are heated on the Rav4 EV.

edit: :oops: Embarrassed that I misread your post...

Bicster said:
It looks like the RAV4-EV doesn't get leather. :D
Well, it comes with Softex, some sort of synthetic leather. Toyota switched Priuses over to this instead of real leather, that they were offering as an option since the 06 model year.

TonyWilliams said:
Viktor said:
The problem is - Toyota apparently not going to make RAV4 EV for the year 2013.

Where did you get this? They are going to make 2600; no more, no less, over three years.

How do I know? :lol: Thought I've read it somewhere. Or something about styling staying the same.
So, they will most likely have new body RAV4 EV in the nearest future? If so - I would just stick with my Leaf for another year and get a new body style with hopefully similar rebates next year. Any speculations in regards to what new RAV EV going to offer?

The body style of the RAV4 EV isn't going to change, at least not for the 2600 that they plan to sell. The body is a little different from that of a gas-powered RAV4; it's reportedly more aerodynamic.

Viktor said:
TonyWilliams said:
Viktor said:
The problem is - Toyota apparently not going to make RAV4 EV for the year 2013.

Where did you get this? They are going to make 2600; no more, no less, over three years.

How do I know? :lol: Thought I've read it somewhere. Or something about styling staying the same.
So, they will most likely have new body RAV4 EV in the nearest future? If so - I would just stick with my Leaf for another year and get a new body style with hopefully similar rebates next year. Any speculations in regards to what new RAV EV going to offer?

You are completely off base here. There won't be new bodies, or likely ANY changes for 2600 cars over three years. It's that simple.

Four color choices (two are white) and floor mats. Those are your choices.

waidy said:
evnow said:
Can someone comment on things Leaf has but RAV4 EV doesn't ?

There are some obvious ones
- QC
- Heated Steering
surrounded with cameras, better sound system, locking charge port.

I was going with 11/12 Leaf, rather than the 13. But, '13 info would be useful for others.

Our RAV4 finally arrived this morning, and it is AWESOME! Went through Montway.com for delivery and had no trouble, except it arrived a day later than expected.

Will report our observations about the car later when we've had time to figure things out. For now, let me just say that it's a blast to drive and much too easy to have a lead foot.

Well - hope not to offend too many RAV4 EV owners, but its' look like Leaf is so much better deal after all.
I had a chance to talk to Toyota rep and dealership in CA - for us, normal people outside the sunny CA, they stopped shy of insisting that we will not get a service. Apparently I need to sign a disclaimer prior to purchasing it where I would basically wave my warranty (per Toyota rep - havent seen actual paper).
It's got much bigger battery, but so does it have much longer charging time -especially worisome to me since I am still using 110V in the garage and not planning on installing charger for the next few months. While giving bigger range - it will not be significantly bigger for my family to take it for a ride to the mountains for example. And the fact that it's got a better acceleration doesn't appeal to me that much - Leaf has plenty. The lease for RAV advertised as a great deal by CA dealer - 3999 down and 469 plus tax a month. So at that point - with those super cheap lease deals from Nissan - RAV just appears to be way overpriced for what it offers. Am I missing something?

TonyWilliams said:
Heck, I might buy another and skip the Model S.
With the great deals on the RAV, I wouldn't blame you. While it would be great to have the range of an 85 kWh 'S' or 'X', Supercharging capability, and AWD, our next EV could end up being a RAV4, in lieu of saving up for a Tesla. One thing we like about the RAV4 is that it is perceived as a normal, middle class vehicle; gas-powered RAV4s are everywhere to be found up here in the mountains. Calling attention to ourselves by driving a luxury vehicle is not our style. And a year or two from now, I expect the deals on RAV4 EVs will be even better than they are now.

Viktor said:
Am I missing something?
As described earlier in the thread by TonyWilliams, leasing a RAV4 EV is less advantageous because Toyota doesn't pass along the full tax credit as Nissan does. If you're paying cash or financing, then the deals are good. (Presumably if one prefers to avoid owing money on vehicles, you could still do the financing to get the "$7500 finance cash back", then immediately pay off the balance.)

abasile said:
(Presumably if one prefers to avoid owing money on vehicles, you could still do the financing to get the "$7500 finance cash back", then immediately pay off the balance.)

Hm, pre-paying 0% interest loan, just to not write a check? Only in CA :lol:

Viktor said:
Hm, pre-paying 0% interest loan, just to not write a check? Only in CA :lol:
What's CA have to do with it? Some people feel more comfortable maintaining the discipline of living debt free and not owing money on assets that do nothing but depreciate. In actuality, on a 30K loan, there's not such a huge difference in monthly payment between 0% interest and 2% interest (available through credit unions one shops around). No one is going to accumulate significant wealth through taking advantage of 0% car loans, credit card "rewards", etc. They are simply tools to get consumers to spend more money.

Viktor said:
I had a chance to talk to Toyota rep and dealership in CA - for us, normal people outside the sunny CA, they stopped shy of insisting that we will not get a service. Apparently I need to sign a disclaimer prior to purchasing it where I would basically wave my warranty (per Toyota rep - havent seen actual paper).

We didn't sign a disclaimer or waiver. Perhaps some dealers are doing this, but it's clearly not a well-enforced policy.

I apologize if this was addressed previously, but in light of all of the attention the Tesla S has been receiving, I am curious as to whether RAV4 EV owners have noticed much charge depletion when the vehicle is left parked and unplugged in the cold.

Part of what motivates my question is that, if we do eventually purchase a RAV4 EV, we'd like to use it on a number of camping and hiking trips that are not so easily doable in the LEAF. This often involves parking overnight or for a number of hours where no plugs are available. Obviously, we would not want to come back to a vehicle with insufficient range because the TMS has been trying to keep the battery pack warm! With the LEAF, this is something we haven't had to worry about. Is there a way to put the RAV4 EV into a "deep sleep"?

abasile said:
I apologize if this was addressed previously, but in light of all of the attention the Tesla S has been receiving, I am curious as to whether RAV4 EV owners have noticed much charge depletion when the vehicle is left parked and unplugged in the cold.

Part of what motivates my question is that, if we do eventually purchase a RAV4 EV, we'd like to use it on a number of camping and hiking trips that are not so easily doable in the LEAF. This often involves parking overnight or for a number of hours where no plugs are available. Obviously, we would not want to come back to a vehicle with insufficient range because the TMS has been trying to keep the battery pack warm! With the LEAF, this is something we haven't had to worry about. Is there a way to put the RAV4 EV into a "deep sleep"?
There are miles lost, but not too bad. In my situation, it loses 2-3 miles overnight in compares to my S which loses 8-14 miles pending on temperature at night.

waidy said:
In my situation, it loses 2-3 miles overnight in compares to my S which loses 8-14 miles pending on temperature at night.
Thanks! The S does seem to lose a lot, even relative to the larger size of the battery. Perhaps there remain other, significant, parasitic draws besides the TMS.

I am especially curious as to the RAV's range loss when parking in 30-40° F temps. We don't usually camp when it's colder than that at night.

abasile said:
I am especially curious as to the RAV's range loss when parking in 30-40° F temps. We don't usually camp when it's colder than that at night.
According to weather.com in my zip code, the temperature at night time is in the 30-40° F. I live in the hills so it may be even few degree colder.

Back