Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far the Rav is proving to be a solid and reliable EV. I'm really impressed by Tesla's work.

When you compare it to the Model-S pricing, it's quite a bargain for what you get.

I wish I could afford one!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
So far the Rav is proving to be a solid and reliable EV. I'm really impressed by Tesla's work.
Seems like it. And, another plus is some of the rest of the car is the same as the ICE Rav4, so there's less to have some of the non-powertrain teething issues that I hear about w/the Model S (from summaries here, elsewhere and by skimming Tesla Motors Club.)

I was just notified by my local Toyota dealer that the RAV4 EV is on the way to Massachusetts. I thought this was only a CA compliance car. Anyone else hear that it is coming to different markets? Right now I assume they are wrong, buy I hope they aren't.

My understanding is that the compliance cars can be sold anywhere in the US and qualify.

The reason they tend not to be is simple: They require special training and support, and have limited appeal to consumers outside of a few areas.

If the RAV4-EV's are expanding into new territories, that is great news!

They may also be looking to expand the market if it appears that they will not meet their sales goals without more territories...

bradbissell said:
I was just notified by my local Toyota dealer that the RAV4 EV is on the way to Massachusetts. I thought this was only a CA compliance car. Anyone else hear that it is coming to different markets? Right now I assume they are wrong, buy I hope they aren't.

TomT said:
They may also be looking to expand the market if it appears that they will not meet their sales goals without more territories...

bradbissell said:

I would imagine they could easily sell the car anywhere there is a Tesla service center. That's one reason I had little hesitation about bringing the car to Phoenix. Only Tesla will be fiddling with Tesla's batteries and motor, while any dealer can service the remaining car.

bradbissell said:
I wonder if it's because MA is a CARB (California Air Resources Board) emissions state. Does anyone know OTOH whether selling CA compliance cars in CARB emissions states helps them meet their CA ZEV requirements? What about outside?

From the '13 Prius warranty booklet that outlines emissions warranties at http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-13Prius/pdf/2013_Toyota_Prius_WMG.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Vehicles equipped with a California Certified Emission Control System that are sold, registered and operated in California or any state that adopts California emission warranty provisions are covered by this warranty. Currently, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington are the other states to which this warranty applies. Vehicles covered by this warranty are also covered by the Federal Emission Control Warranty (see page 18).
WA and PA seem to be oddball CARB emissions states where folks there don't receive as long a warranty as other CARB states.

Search around; I seem to recall someone asked their local Tesla service center, and they were clear that they would not service the Tesla components of the RAV4-EV. Better yet, ask them yourself.

Bicster said:
Search around; I seem to recall someone asked their local Tesla service center, and they were clear that they would not service the Tesla components of the RAV4-EV. Better yet, ask them yourself.

There is a whole lot of dreaming here.

1- Toyota is not going to offer these for sale out of California. That wouldn't rate them the CARB ZEV they require. If you do get one out of state, congrats... It would have come from a California Toyota dealer who shipped it to you, or you picked it up there and paid California sales tax.

2- Toyota will not produce more than 2600 of these cash losers. Why would they want to make more when it is neither required nor prudent?

3- The car doesn't sell well in California; imagine trying to sell these elsewhere while losing a five figure amount of money per unit sold. Remember, they are already into Tesla for $38,000 per unit.

4- Tesla didn't offer you ANY warranty; Toyota did. Just keep dreaming otherwise.

5- Listening to car salesman (particularly out of state ones) is quite a joke.

For anyone looking to buy a RAV4 EV, now is the time. They have upped the subvention cash to $7K for February, and many dealers (including mine) are knocking $2K off the top, not to mention the 0% financing. Run, don't walk.

So that would be 49,800 - 7,500 - 7,000 - 2,000 = 33,300 ?

BTW, does Toyota finance offer the 0% to people outside CA ?

jspearman said:
For anyone looking to buy a RAV4 EV, now is the time. They have upped the subvention cash to $7K for February, and many dealers (including mine) are knocking $2K off the top, not to mention the 0% financing. Run, don't walk.

Where do you see the $7k finance cash? Just looked on Toyota's website, looks like they just upgraded. I found the specials, but it only shows 0%, not the Finance Cash.

xtremeflyer said:
jspearman said:

Where do you see the $7k finance cash? Just looked on Toyota's website, looks like they just upgraded. I found the specials, but it only shows 0%, not the Finance Cash.

It's hard to find and the only place I've seen it are on the individual dealers' websites. Check out Fremont Toyota where I bought mine. You can see the numbers on the individual cars. Had a good experience at Fremont with Roy and the finance guy, Ray.

jspearman said:
I should say, given the low # of cars Toyota is selling, I don't see a big rush here. I'd speculate that the offers are here to stay.

Just received this quote from Carson Toyota:

$50,870 Retail (inc floor mats and destination)
-$2,901 Dealer Discount
$47,969 Price
$3,843.92 tax
$428.75 license (deductible)
$80 doc fee
$52,321.67 Total
-$7,500 Finance Cash (which must apply to down payment)
=$44,824.67 Amount financed (at 0% APR)

-$7,500 Fed Incentive
-$2,500 CA State Incentive

=$34,824.67

They are motivated. They have 17 on the lot.

^^^
Wow! And, that's with the 0% APR financing, right?

I didn't notice until now that they upped their cash back to $7,500! I see it at http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx?&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if I put in the 90024 zip code.
Get 0.0% APR for 60 months PLUS $7,500 Finance Cash on a new 2012 RAV4EV

0.0% APR for 36 months
0.0% APR for 48 months
0.0% APR for 60 months
PLUS $7,500 Finance Cash
Includes Toyota Care

Offer Ends 3/4/2013
If only Toyota had put on a CHAdeMO port on these guys.

Back