Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, for those interested in the Model S (the title of this thread) I took a little road trip the other day. Dry roads, about half freeway, half two lane highway, neither heat nor cooling needed, and speed generally at the posted limits. Odometer miles were 270, and used 275 rated miles. I tracked both during the drive and the stayed pretty close the entire time. Nice to know.

ebill3 said:
Anyway, for those interested in the Model S (the title of this thread) I took a little road trip the other day. Dry roads, about half freeway, half two lane highway, neither heat nor cooling needed, and speed generally at the posted limits. Odometer miles were 270, and used 275 rated miles. I tracked both during the drive and the stayed pretty close the entire time. Nice to know.
Nice to hear a real world road report. How much elevation change along your route ?

KJD said:
ebill3 said:
Nice to hear a real world road report. How much elevation change along your route ?
That mirrors my results on my drive home from the factory in Fremont to Sacramento area. Keeping between 65-70 where possible I tracked very closely to rated miles in my S60... Rated miles on a range charge is 208, the trip was about 145 miles (with slight detour) and I still had 55 miles left on the range meter.

KJD said:
ebill3 said:
Anyway, for those interested in the Model S (the title of this thread) I took a little road trip the other day. Dry roads, about half freeway, half two lane highway, neither heat nor cooling needed, and speed generally at the posted limits. Odometer miles were 270, and used 275 rated miles. I tracked both during the drive and they stayed pretty close the entire time. Nice to know.
It was an out and back trip, so no overall elevation change. En route? Shucks, don't really know. A quick look says maybe max elevation change was 600 feet - not much.

Where is that site that allows you to plot a route and then get an elevation profile?

we had an ev and pev car show on campus. the tesla guy wouldnt even let me sit in the car. i talked to him for 20 minutes. no one else asked him a question.
i was wearing my big boy clothes.
kinda stuck up.

the car is cool but too rich-looking for my neighborhood. it is also BIG. he was too.

ebill3 said:
KJD said:
ebill3 said:
Anyway, for those interested in the Model S (the title of this thread) I took a little road trip the other day. Dry roads, about half freeway, half two lane highway, neither heat nor cooling needed, and speed generally at the posted limits. Odometer miles were 270, and used 275 rated miles. I tracked both during the drive and they stayed pretty close the entire time. Nice to know.
It was an out and back trip, so no overall elevation change. En route? Shucks, don't really know. A quick look says maybe max elevation change was 600 feet - not much.

Where is that site that allows you to plot a route and then get an elevation profile?
Here's the one I use. Map the route in Google maps, then click on the link button (upper left, next to the print icon button). When that box opens, I click on Short URL, then copy that and open http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Click on Profiles (elevation etc.), choose your units (Metric/US/Nautical) and then paste the URL into the box (2nd from bottom, right) labeled "Or provide the URL of data on the Web", and click on the button below labeled "Draw the Profile".

Took a trip with my friend in his new 85Kwh S yesterday, to San Diego and back. 230 miles round-trip at an average of about 65-70 mph. We arrived back with a 13% SOC. The S continues to greatly impress me.

GRA said:
ebill3 said:
Here's the one I use. Map the route in Google maps, then click on the link button (upper left, next to the print icon button). When that box opens, I click on Short URL, then copy that and open http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Click on Profiles (elevation etc.), choose your units (Metric/US/Nautical) and then paste the URL into the box (2nd from bottom, right) labeled "Or provide the URL of data on the Web", and click on the button below labeled "Draw the Profile".
Thank you very much - neat.

very funny. and what have YOU done to help humanity? probably a lot less than Mr Musk.
I understand you are envious and jealous, not good traits. you should try and get over it.

Wait, you bought a $100,000 car to help humanity? :D :lol: "Oh, the sacrifice driving around town in my luxury electric car!" You have to send this stuff to South Park. Really.

I own a Model S, I own the stock, hell yes I hope they succeed. So what?
Nothing wrong with supporting a home grown American company..
Where was your Leaf made? Oh right Japan. Nice way to support our economy.
Don't tell me anything about the TN plant, until the components come from US sources.
The Leaf isn't a serious future EV contender anyway, sales of the Model S show they went with the wrong model, People are willing to pay up for range, it seems. And let's not forget thermal management... Perhaps when they redesign it, and take Teslas lessons learned to heart, of course by then BlueStar / Gen3 will be upon them, in a similar price range. Poor Carlos.

Don't worry though, tesla will succeed anyway, just keep hating, I'm laughing all the way to the bank.

Where was your Prius made?

jkirkebo said:
Train said:
Mr. Musk is spinning the "lease" because he's quite aware that at this time next year, that Freemont factory may not be churning out 500 cars a week. I believe demand will significantly slow and this might be the only way to try to get someone to wrap their head around spending this much money for a four door sedan not named Mercedes, BMW, etc.

The Model S is a five door hatchback, just like the Leaf. If it were a four door it would sell a lot less in Europe.

BTW, European demand is picking up at a brisk pace after winter. Currently running at 15-20 reservations per day.

From their own advertising: "Model S is the world's first premium electric sedan."

thankyouOB said:
we had an ev and pev car show on campus. the tesla guy wouldnt even let me sit in the car. i talked to him for 20 minutes. no one else asked him a question.
i was wearing my big boy clothes.
kinda stuck up.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. People that protective of their car probably shouldn't show them at events.
I was showing mine yesterday at Cars and Coffee (Minnesota). It was a blast! Had kids sitting in it, checking out the back seats as well. Let a number of people turn the car on to show how quiet it was. That got a lot of very surprised looks:)
Met one guy that I will be meeting to give a test drive to later. And lots of people asked me if I will be back next month (which I will).

I am afraid I may have to turn in my Introverts membership card;)

Train said:
very funny. and what have YOU done to help humanity? probably a lot less than Mr Musk.
I understand you are envious and jealous, not good traits. you should try and get over it.
Wait, you bought a $100,000 car to help humanity? :D :lol: "Oh, the sacrifice driving around town in my luxury electric car!" You have to send this stuff to South Park. Really.
Come on. He was talking about Elon Musk helping humanity, which he is. Make no mistake, accelerating the shift from ICE to electric is helping humanity, as is lowering the cost of going into space.

abasile said:
Train said:
Come on. He was talking about Elon Musk helping humanity, which he is. Make no mistake, accelerating the shift from ICE to electric is helping humanity, as is lowering the cost of going into space.

I no longer see train wrecks posts, but saw this one because it was quoted by abasile (and yes, I was referring to Elon)

Yes train wreck, buying a $90K car does help humanity, since it helps Tesla succeed as a company, so they can continue their mission of electrifying the US fleet. Keep driving your gas guzzler, that's sure to help humanity. Didn't your moma teach you if you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing? Apparently not.

Buying a Tesla makes me no nevermind. Buy it because you like the car. But buying a Tesla because you think you're "saving the planet" is utter bullocks and embarrassing. And frankly, childish. Look, you can't even handle someone else having an opposing view because you can't view my post unless it's quoted by someone else.

You're an easy mark.

Mitch and many others remind me of evangelical bible thumpers. You must believe! Everybody else is wrong, this is the only way. No! This is the only way!

They were the same people going through life and now that they've "seen the light" they can't understand why everyone else doesn't see the light as they do. They've been converted, they now must convert everyone. They become smug, pious, and self righteous.

Now that they've been shown the way, everyone else must believe like them and they just cannot understand why everyone else doesn't see what they see.

To drive around in your $100,000 Tesla car and declare that you're helping Elon Musk save humanity... :roll:

I'm glad Mitch retracted his post, it was a bit aggressive and over the top.. Train might have a point, humanity would have been better off if you used that $100k to fund a school in Africa or the countless other places in this world that need it.. even locally you could have bought 3 Leafs and distributed two of them to charity, humane dog pound, meal deliveries to the elderly etc. Its ok to buy an $100k car if you like it but you are not saving the world.

Train said:
From their own advertising: "Model S is the world's first premium electric sedan."

Yeah, they probably call it a sedan since "permium hatchback" doesn't have a nice ring to in in the US. Still, by definition it's not a four door sedan.

Zythryn said:
thankyouOB said:
i was wearing my big boy clothes. kinda stuck up. ....
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. People that protective of their car probably shouldn't show them at events.
I was showing mine yesterday at Cars and Coffee (Minnesota). It was a blast! Had kids sitting in it, checking out the back seats as well. Let a number of people turn the car on to show how quiet it was. That got a lot of very surprised looks:) Met one guy that I will be meeting to give a test drive to later. And lots of people asked me if I will be back next month (which I will). I am afraid I may have to turn in my Introverts membership card;)
Some have a concern when people get in with things in their back pockets (like pens, wallets with chains, etc) since it could scratch or leave marks on the seats or entry/exit areas. I let people sit in my car at various places I've been. I sat in a Model S at the last EV club meeting I was at.

Back