Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2013 Videos - Tesla Motors: Revolutionizing the Automobile via: http://cleantechsummit.com/resources-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(direct link: http://fora.tv/program_landing_frameview?id=17411&type=clip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

JB Straubel - Co-Founder and Chief Technical Officer - Tesla Motors
http://cleantechsummit.com/jb-straubel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Train said:
Buying a Tesla makes me no nevermind. Buy it because you like the car. But buying a Tesla because you think you're "saving the planet" is utter bullocks and embarrassing. And frankly, childish.
Herm said:
I'm glad Mitch retracted his post, it was a bit aggressive and over the top.. Train might have a point, humanity would have been better off if you used that $100k to fund a school in Africa or the countless other places in this world that need it.. even locally you could have bought 3 Leafs and distributed two of them to charity, humane dog pound, meal deliveries to the elderly etc. Its ok to buy an $100k car if you like it but you are not saving the world.
Mitch never said he was saving the world. He said "helping humanity", though he wasn't even referring to himself in that case. But, regardless, he *is* helping humanity, as am I and all fellow LEAF owners. It's true that money would be better spent elsewhere, but if you're GOING to buy a car (at any price point) it is better to by EV instead of an ICE. Yes, it the ONLY reason he (or I) bought a $100k car was to help humanity, buying a $40k car and giving the rest to charity would be a better choice. But if I were going to buy a $100k luxury car regardless, which one would help humanity more, a Model S or a BMW 7-series? Come 'on people. Cut a fella some slack...

Train said:
But buying a Tesla because you think you're "saving the planet" is utter bullocks and embarrassing. And frankly, childish.
Well, you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. People buying a $100k EV are part of the solution - not because they are single handedly reducing global emissions, but that is on the right path.

No different, as I wrote elsewhere, as giving a donation to a charity that helps the poor. It is not like that one act will cure world hunger.

what a bunch of noise over a statement. So what if anyone thinks they are doing the world a benefit by buying ANYTHING. LEDs wont save the World but if it makes you feel better (and they are much more efficient) then do it.

Train or anyone else for that matter has the right to say what they want. so let him. probably not the first time they were told something wrong and probably wont be the last. like anything else, its just an opinion

I'm not sure what you expect coming to an EV forum and commenting in a Tesla thread, it's just the right place to find cheerleading for EV's and the Tesla S in particular. If that is what you are after, keep reading, if not, one can only ask, what is your purpose in commenting on something you obviously revile so much, over and over again, with the same old Debbie Downer tone regardless of the milestones passed? rest assured, if EV's really catch on, there will be new competition that should help keep the price of gas down for those who simply wish to opt out of the "fad"... trust me, you want the EV movement to succeed, especially if you love driving a non-renewable fuel!

Train said:
Buying a Tesla makes me no nevermind. Buy it because you like the car. But buying a Tesla because you think you're "saving the planet" is utter bullocks and embarrassing. And frankly, childish. Look, you can't even handle someone else having an opposing view because you can't view my post unless it's quoted by someone else.

You're an easy mark.

Mitch and many others remind me of evangelical bible thumpers. You must believe! Everybody else is wrong, this is the only way. No! This is the only way!

They were the same people going through life and now that they've "seen the light" they can't understand why everyone else doesn't see the light as they do. They've been converted, they now must convert everyone. They become smug, pious, and self righteous.

Now that they've been shown the way, everyone else must believe like them and they just cannot understand why everyone else doesn't see what they see.

To drive around in your $100,000 Tesla car and declare that you're helping Elon Musk save humanity... :roll:

Dave, I scratch my head trying to understand your sympathy to a guy who does nothing but pollutes this forum with negativity. I don't see anything constructive coming from his "contribution", I don't think he somehow gives us a taste of the real world or anything like that. IMHO, he's either got issues or is a paid shill for big oil, I don't know how else to explain why someone who has no interest in EV's would spend so much time on this site. His views are not informative to me in the least and as for this particular thread, he only diminishes the signal to noise ratio.

and yes, we all have a right to our opinion, however hammering people with it and picking fights is just poor form, particularly when you have no experience with the subject of the forum or in this case, the Tesla S!

DaveinOlyWA said:
what a bunch of noise over a statement. So what if anyone thinks they are doing the world a benefit by buying ANYTHING. LEDs wont save the World but if it makes you feel better (and they are much more efficient) then do it.

Train or anyone else for that matter has the right to say what they want. so let him. probably not the first time they were told something wrong and probably wont be the last. like anything else, its just an opinion

The solution to the Trains (wrecks or otherwise) of this world is to ignore them. If nobody get riled up by their posts, if nobody comments, of nobody cares... They will go away.

Easier said than done. But I guess a script could be written that scans this thread every five minutes or so and if it finds a post from an "offender" it could automatically post some kind of "Please ignore" reply.

Just ignoring is probably the best.

Six months ago, a model S sighting was rare. This past Sunday, 40 of them assembled at Metropolatin Detail, Bellevue WA, for a spring gathering, demos, and informative talks.

Standing in the rain watching a couple of guys wash a car was a bit odd, but overall, nice meet.

TomT said:
Hardly a day goes by that I don't see one around here... It seems I see as many of them as I do Leafs!
Yes, it's a similar situation in these parts. Surprising, to say the least.

Is anyone seeing interest in the Model S now that they put their new financing program out? I only ask because I found out a friend is considering getting one because of the ability to return it after 3 years if for some reason the battery or something else on it doesn't hold up.

Side question, but how much do replacement tires cost for the Model S?

gsleaf said:
OE - Tire Rack lists the 19" Goodyear Eagle at $145.00; the 21" Continental at $288.

I think I'm happy I stuck with the 19" wheels. :eek:

gsleaf said:
Is anyone seeing interest in the Model S now that they put their new financing program out? I only ask because I found out a friend is considering getting one because of the ability to return it after 3 years if for some reason the battery or something else on it doesn't hold up.

That, in my opinion was exactly what the new financing deal was for. To give people a guarenteed out after three years. The $500 number should never have been mentioned.

The performance tires are very expensive and shorter lived. I am very happy I chose the 19".

Zythryn said:
That, in my opinion was exactly what the new financing deal was for. To give people a guarenteed out after three years. The $500 number should never have been mentioned.

Agreed, the $500 number is a really bad idea. Fortunately it didn't cloud the issue too much. People just ignore it as marketing nonsense, but I do think it lowers Tesla's credibility a little bit.

ebill3 said:
gsleaf said:
OE - Tire Rack lists the 19" Goodyear Eagle at $145.00; the 21" Continental at $288.

Thanks, that's not too bad of a price for the 19" wheels.

ebill3 said:
Although the website says the 21's come with Continental, mine got Michelin Pilot Sport's even though it's not the performance model... Those are even more spendy, IIRC.

gsleaf said:
Don't know the response, but note that the deal is only available in eight states: CA, CO, IL, FL, NJ, NY, OR and WA.

ebill3 said:
Don't know the response, but note that the deal is only available in eight states: CA, CO, IL, FL, NJ, NY, OR and WA.

I suspect that those states account for the vast majority of the S market right now.

ebill3 said:
Six months ago, a model S sighting was rare. This past Sunday, 40 of them assembled at Metropolatin Detail, Bellevue WA, for a spring gathering, demos, and informative talks.
Amazing, nearly $5M in EVs. Any estimates on the total number in the Seattle metro area?

Reddy said:
ebill3 said:
Amazing, nearly $5M in EVs. Any estimates on the total number in the Seattle metro area?

I'm told we are the 2nd largest market, so lots! Tesla does not release sales numbers.

Back