Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No argument there! But he IS an arrogant ass...

mitch672 said:
Oh and a Carlos Goshens any better? pleeease. Elon's a self-made billionaire, he's the closest we have to a real life "Tony Stark" (Ironman). We could use many more Elon's, but they broke the mold, they are few and far between. We need bold business leaders, visionaries, people who say why not, rather than it can't be done.

mitch672 said:
mwalsh said:
How can I reconcile a desire to see Tesla succeed with a desire to see Elon Musk living in a cardboard refrigerator carton under a freeway overpass?

A bit harsh, no? Elon needs to attend the "Steve Jobs public speaking and etiquette school", if he was a bit more polished he might come across a little better. Too bad Steve's not around to hold the classes any longer. Teslas either going to be wildly successful, or be bought and the buyers will be wildly successful... My money (literally) is on TSLA :)
Steve Jobs was known to be a really mean and harsh person (too ?). Apple employees apparently dreaded meeting him in the elevator or some such place ...

mitch672 said:
mwalsh said:
No, he's just an arrogant ass.

Oh and a Carlos Goshens any better? pleeease. Elon's a self-made billionaire, he's the closest we have to a real life "Tony Stark" (Ironman). We could use many more Elon's, but they broke the mold, they are few and far between. We need bold business leaders, visionaries, people who say why not, rather than it can't be done.

OMG! Why don't you offer to have his babies? I understand he's without squeeze right now.

mwalsh said:
mitch672 said:
mwalsh said:

OMG! Why don't you offer to have his babies? I understand he's without squeeze right now.

very funny. and what have YOU done to help humanity? probably a lot less than Mr Musk.
I understand you are envious and jealous, not good traits. you should try and get over it.

mwalsh said:
How can I reconcile a desire to see Tesla succeed with a desire to see Elon Musk living in a cardboard refrigerator carton under a freeway overpass?
Why on earth would you launch off on such an inappropriate tangent? See what you have started?

Arrogant ass or not, why would you wish such a fate on someone that has not caused you personal grief?

mwalsh said:
Fanboy says, "What?".

I own a Model S, I own the stock, hell yes I hope they succeed. So what?
Nothing wrong with supporting a home grown American company..
Where was your Leaf made? Oh right Japan. Nice way to support our economy.
Don't tell me anything about the TN plant, until the components come from US sources.
The Leaf isn't a serious future EV contender anyway, sales of the Model S show they went with the wrong model, People are willing to pay up for range, it seems. And let's not forget thermal management... Perhaps when they redesign it, and take Teslas lessons learned to heart, of course by then BlueStar / Gen3 will be upon them, in a similar price range. Poor Carlos.

Don't worry though, tesla will succeed anyway, just keep hating, I'm laughing all the way to the bank.

Train said:
Mr. Musk is spinning the "lease" because he's quite aware that at this time next year, that Freemont factory may not be churning out 500 cars a week. I believe demand will significantly slow and this might be the only way to try to get someone to wrap their head around spending this much money for a four door sedan not named Mercedes, BMW, etc.

The Model S is a five door hatchback, just like the Leaf. If it were a four door it would sell a lot less in Europe.

BTW, European demand is picking up at a brisk pace after winter. Currently running at 15-20 reservations per day.

One thing I keep wondering about is why Tesla thinks it can sell more 100k model S cars than say BMW 7 series. After all it is an EV with limited range and non-trivial charge time that costs 100 grand. BMW sold about 11k 7 series sedans last year, which is roughly the same number as Leaf USA sales. Please don't use fuel and maintenance costs as arguments, I'm sorry but I don't understand their relevance in the context of a 100k car. And please stop comparing Tesla vs. Leaf, it just doesn't make sense.

evnow said:
mitch672 said:
mwalsh said:

A bit harsh, no? Elon needs to attend the "Steve Jobs public speaking and etiquette school", if he was a bit more polished he might come across a little better. Too bad Steve's not around to hold the classes any longer. Teslas either going to be wildly successful, or be bought and the buyers will be wildly successful... My money (literally) is on TSLA :)
Steve Jobs was known to be a really mean and harsh person (too ?). Apple employees apparently dreaded meeting him in the elevator or some such place ...

In my limited experience in the corporate world, it sure seems like you have to be a harsh and picky asshole to get what you want accomplished. ;)

I don't necessarily agree with Elon on some things (like 40kWh isn't 'enough' for a single car household)... but he knows what he's doing. My money is literally on TSLA too.

His next announcement will be for something much better... in fact I thought that's what this last one was going to be about and was disappointed when it was only about leasing. I can't say anything about it, but it's as much of a game changer as the Model S.

JeremyW said:
In my limited experience in the corporate world, it sure seems like you have to be a harsh and picky asshole to get what you want accomplished. ;)
That is very true. They have to go at something with single minded devotion to achieve anything of significance. They would have hurt a lot of people on their way up ...

There was an interview on NPR who said most of these highly successful people are basically psychopaths who have learned to redirect their energy in a "positive" way. Includes CEOs and Politicians.

evnow said:
JeremyW said:
That is very true. They have to go at something with single minded devotion to achieve anything of significance. They would have hurt a lot of people on their way up ...

There was an interview on NPR who said most of these highly successful people are basically psychopaths who have learned to redirect their energy in a "positive" way. Includes CEOs and Politicians.

Your statement of your assumption as fact is offensive.
A powerfully focused CEO may or may not have "hurt people on the way up".
They are focused, and have a strong will and drive. And yes, it is perfectly reasonable to think it likely that they may have hurt people's feelings, and that they have fired people, although I would suggest they hired a lot more than they fired.

I would disagree with the NPR interview if they did indeed use the word 'most'. However, that may be true for some, I don't know enough about the definition.

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk is never short on words and with the recently announced Model S “lease” offer, which remains rather controversial, Musk turned to Bloomberg West to “clarify” the situation.

There’s discussion on Musk’s buyback guarantee, some back and forth on the actual monthly “lease” rates for the Model S and then the interview turns to the cancellation of the 40-kWh version of the Model S.

There’s obvious skepticism voiced by interviewer Betty Liu in regards to Model S lease rates, but Musk counters with some valid explanations that sort of make sense of Tesla’s confusing “lease” rate calculator.

But it’s Musk talking of the cancellation of the 40-kWh version of the Model S that most intrigued us. As Musk claims, the range of the 40-kWh Model S is too limited to ever be one’s only vehicle. Musk says the 40-kWh version would only ever be a second vehicle for consumers and that’s not Tesla Motors way. All Tesla offerings will have sufficient range so as to eliminate the need for Tesla drivers to own a “back-up” vehicle...

http://insideevs.com/video-elon-musk-discusses-tesla-model-s-lease-deal-and-40-kwh-hobbled-horse-cancellation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the video, Musk says that the LEAF "...sounds like a lower cost car but it really isn't..."

You'd think that someone who's great contribution to human progress was in making billions of dollars by figuring out how to extract a few cents from billions of people, repeatedly, would display a clearer understanding of the terms "cost", and "need"...

While its true I don't really "need' my ICEV convertible "back-up" vehicle, I sure wouldn't want to try to go though a winter snowstorm or take on many of my off-pavement trips, without my ICEV 4WD "back-up" vehicle, as would be required if I owned a Tesla S as my "first" and only vehicle.

Zythryn said:
Your statement of your assumption as fact is offensive.
A powerfully focused CEO may or may not have "hurt people on the way up".
Are you just being bookish or do you know very nice CEOs who have never hurt someone on their way up ?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2011/06/14/why-some-psychopaths-make-great-ceos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So you can just go down the list of Fortune 500 CEOs and say, “psychopath, psychopath, psychopath…”

Well, no. Dunlap was an exceptional figure, wasn’t he? An extreme figure.

I think my book offers really good evidence that the way that capitalism is structured really is a physical manifestation of the brain anomaly known as psychopathy. However, I woudn’t say every Fortune 500 chief is a psychopath. That would turn me into an ideologue and I abhor ideologues.

mwalsh said:
mitch672 said:
mwalsh said:

And Steve Jobs wasn't? Kind of comes with the territory. If you didn't have excessive amounts of self-confidence, you probably wouldn't get there in the first place. Jobs just learned to tone it down in public.

The car is real....not a photoshop.

So for April fools, some of the executives at Google "borrowed" Sergey Brin's car and did a makeover. I'm sure he was quite surprised to step out of the office and see this car in the front walkway, laugh about it and then ask himself, where did I park mine this morning?

attachment.php

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/15512-What-the-Pink-Vinyl-Wrapped-Model-S?p=311335#post311335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
And Steve Jobs wasn't? Kind of comes with the territory. If you didn't have excessive amounts of self-confidence, you probably wouldn't get there in the first place. Jobs just learned to tone it down in public.
+1

Back