Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The people voted the governor in, they can vote him out.
Unless the other option is worse :roll:

I rarely find myself voting for someone I like as much a voting against the worst.

apvbguy said:
there is a a lot of whining over how bad, how out of touch the law preventing the direct sales by tesla but I have not seen ONE person who has a clue as to how to fix the situation.
This situation, as negative as it may be, is probably good for Tesla sales overall. People often tend to want what they're told they can't have (at least without physically or electronically crossing state lines). Further, this situation reinforces the popular perception of NJ government as corrupt while elevating Tesla as the good guys. The longer this fight continues, the worse it is for the "traditional" auto dealerships and the politicians who are indebted to them.

smkettner said:
The people voted the governor in, they can vote him out.
Unless the other option is worse :roll:

I rarely find myself voting for someone I like as much a voting against the worst.
FWIW: it is the DEMOCRAT controlled legislature that has the power to change the laws.
Christie cannot arbitrarily issue an edict permitting tesla sell cars directly to the public, unlike the executive branch in DC, the constitution separation of governmental powers is still in effect in NJ.
the DEMOCRAT controlled judiciary or the DEMOCRAT controlled legislature are the only chance for tesla to get the laws altered to allow them to sell cars directly to the public in NJ.
it has been about a month since the ruling that closed down the tesla stores in NJ, I haven't heard of any moves in the DEMOCRAT controlled legislature to enact any revisions to the law.

as for governmental corruption in NJ where is it that there isn't any corruption in government?? please don't try to say that your state of CA is immune from corruption

apvbguy said:
as for governmental corruption in NJ where is it that there isn't any corruption in government?? please don't try to say that your state of CA is immune from corruption
LOL - corruption has existed as long as there have been governments run by humans. Rule of law is supposed to cut down on corruption.

As Tesla is not a "franchisor" in any sense of the word, it seems to me that the burden should be on the State of New Jersey, not Tesla, to enact revisions. The problem is that NJ is not operating according to the rule of law here. No matter how you cut it, this makes NJ look bad.

abasile said:
apvbguy said:
LOL - corruption has existed as long as there have been governments run by humans. Rule of law is supposed to cut down on corruption.

As Tesla is not a "franchisor" in any sense of the word, it seems to me that the burden should be on the State of New Jersey, not Tesla, to enact revisions. The problem is that NJ is not operating according to the rule of law here. No matter how you cut it, this makes NJ look bad.
first off since it is the state of NJ that makes the rules it is incumbent on those who have been deemed to be in violation of the rules to prove that they are not in violation of the rules.
Tesla has been found to be in violation of the rules.
now let's assume you're assessment about tesla being a franchisor is spot and the people who make the call are bought and paid for, who would you look to for relief?
I'll answer for you, the ONLY ones who could come to the aid of tesla at this point is either the courts or the legislature.
all the whining, foot stomping and twitter tantrums by the tesla fan boy crowd, media pundits or elon will not have any effect on this fact.

Was anyone here was whining and stomping their feet? I thought we were just having a conversation.

What is the emoticon for whining and foot stomping so next time I know?

apvbguy said:
I'll answer for you, the ONLY ones who could come to the aid of tesla at this point is either the courts or the legislature.
all the whining, foot stomping and twitter tantrums by the tesla fan boy crowd, media pundits or elon will not have any effect on this fact.
In a democracy, it's often the efforts to influence public opinion that bear the most fruit in terms of effecting long-term change. Tesla is undoubtedly also working this "problem" from legislative and judicial angles. In any event, keeping this issue visible at the national level is a good thing because Tesla faces similar fights in multiple jurisdictions.

Also, that "fan boy crowd" exists and is growing for good reason - Tesla Motors has an awesome product and a compelling mission. Most companies can only dream of having the level of grass roots support that Tesla now enjoys. Hopefully, Tesla will continue to execute well and bring electric driving to a much larger market.

abasile said:
In a democracy, it's often the efforts to influence public opinion that bear the most fruit in terms of effecting long-term change. Tesla is undoubtedly also working this "problem" from legislative and judicial angles. In any event, keeping this issue visible at the national level is a good thing because Tesla faces similar fights in multiple jurisdictions.
please enlighten me as to the efforts underway by tesla?
childish blog posts and twitter tantrums really won't cut it.
I think that you don't have a grasp of how small a community the EV crowd is and how conditioned against EVs the general population is.
and lastly we don't live in a democracy.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Was anyone here was whining and stomping their feet? I thought we were just having a conversation.

What is the emoticon for whining and foot stomping so next time I know?

oh my, the comment wasn't specific to anyone in particular, but elon's twitter tantrums do fall under the whining and stomping their feet banner

apvbguy said:
please enlighten me as to the efforts underway by tesla?
This is somewhat old news, but the latest I could find: http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2014/04/tesla_motors_appeals_nj_regulation_banning_direct_sales.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apvbguy said:
I think that you don't have a grasp of how small a community the EV crowd is and how conditioned against EVs the general population is.
Where I live in California, it's easy to find folks of all political stripes who support EVs and want to do a better job of caring for our environment. Being in a state with both serious air quality problems and spectacular natural beauty probably makes a difference. I do understand that views on these matters can be very different in other regions of the country. The way for Tesla to overcome these sentiments has been to build a super-cool vehicle worthy of respect. I believe the tide is changing, especially among younger generations.

apvbguy said:
Okay, a "republic" then. And?

abasile said:
This is somewhat old news, but the latest I could find: http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2014/04/tesla_motors_appeals_nj_regulation_banning_direct_sales.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
apvbguy said:
abasile said:
Where I live in California, it's easy to find folks of all political stripes who support EVs and want to do a better job of caring for our environment. Being in a state with both serious air quality problems and spectacular natural beauty probably makes a difference. I do understand that views on these matters can be very different in other regions of the country. The way for Tesla to overcome these sentiments has been to build a super-cool vehicle worthy of respect. I believe the tide is changing, especially among younger generations.
first off this doesn't touch on how small the numbers of supporters of EVs are, as for levels of pollution, NJ is right up there close to the top of the list, the way for tesla to overcome the problems it is encountering is through learning how the machinations of politics really works, all the warm fuzzy stuff may play well on TV for the simpletons but until you get the people with the power to grasp your side of the issue you are going nowhere.
apvbguy said:
Okay, a "republic" then. And?[/quote]
and, means silly petitions and proclamations of the superiority of the EV may make the fan boys feel good but until there is consensus of the general population that changing the laws is the thing to do, the politicians have little cause to do anything, note that in the article you offered it stated that one legislator proposed putting a bill up to "trump" the MVC's decision, what happened to that bill?? I'd bet that leadership in the assembly buried it.

As for the "machinations of politics", Tesla could effect change in states like NJ by liberally distributing campaign contributions. Of course, they'd have to be making regular contributions and be perceived as a long-term player to be heard as loudly as the auto dealer lobby. This would take time, but would almost certainly produce results.

On the other hand, Tesla can continue building SuperChargers, showing off the car in "galleries", making noise in social media and traditional media, and generally working to change public opinion.

Personally, I don't think Tesla should give a dime to any politician who's currently siding with the auto dealer lobby in their unethical protectionism.

abasile said:
Personally, I don't think Tesla should give a dime to any politician who's currently siding with the auto dealer lobby in their unethical protectionism.
this is why YOU are not making key decisions for tesla. :lol:
you have it right about the need for tesla to become more ingratiated in local politics and you were also correct about how the dealers group being in the game a lot longer enabled them to get the ear of the politicians.

see how long it took to get you to grasp a small dose of reality? imagine trying to deal with many multiples of people who seem to have attention spans of those afflicted with ADHD while they screaming and yelling nonsense about this and almost every other important issue.

too bad they don't take the few minutes that is necessary to learn more about the issues that they chime in on.

Hey guys, while I realize this discussion started with Tesla and is Tesla oriented, do you think we could leave some of the political vitriol out? You're hijacking the thread with things that aren't fun or interesting to read...

+10!

GeekEV said:
Hey guys, while I realize this discussion started with Tesla and is Tesla oriented, do you think we could leave some of the political vitriol out? You're hijacking the thread with things that aren't fun or interesting to read...

GeekEV said:
Thank you. I was about to stop checking this thread altogether. The Tesla forum has a "snippiness" thread where posts that get tad too personal spend their remaining days. Might be a consideration for moderators here.

I don't see anyone who is actually participating in the discussion worried about some imaginary snippiness.
as for the Model S it is an amazing machine that eclipses ANY current EV vehicle available to all consumers

Back