Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the tide is turning. The anti-EV fudsters seem to be running out of ammunition. It's kind of hard to contend with a vehicle that has gotten both the best Consumer Reports rating ever, and the best crash testing results ever. Koch Bros lackeys are consigned to try arguing that the car is less "green" than an ICE. As if they are our environmental guardians! :roll: :lol:

So, the NTSA slapped Tesla over some of their reports of the NTSA safety tests...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086424_ntsa-rebukes-tesla-over-non-existent-5-4-star-safety-rating" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are just reaffirming that there is nothing beyond 5 stars. Personally, I don't think Tesla really said there was. But they did say that the raw data that goes into the score actually works out to 5.4 - which is a valid, albeit a tad misleading, boast.

The Standard Suspension was not even available until this Spring, and all but one of the Tesla owners I have talked to have the Air Suspension. Since the AS is one of the options whose price has just gone up considerably, I have been asking owners why I need it. Earlier the answer was that the SS suspension is very stiff and I might find it uncomfortable.
Now one owner has told me he has to crank the height up frequently to avoid bottoming out. He said the car has skids on both the front and rear bottom so that hitting at very low speed does no damage.

His comments prompted me to do some more calculations of clearance, including the very mild common road tilt into my own driveway. My conclusion: this car has serious clearance issues, caused by the large overhangs front and rear.
Length - Wheelbase = 196" - 116" = 80".
Front overhang, estimated from drawings = 37", rear overhang 43"
Rear has taper, so front overhang looks to be the most serious.
Clearance of Standard Suspension = 6"
Atan(6/37) = 9.2 deg

My own driveway slopes down to meet the street as it crosses the sidewalk.
Curb height = 7"
Sidewalk width = 67"
Atan(7/67) = 6.0 deg

Since 6.0 < 9.2, this would suggest the SS would clear easily without the front hitting, but my street has a gentle rise toward the middle to promote water flow down the gutters. If the front wheels are right at the low point where the driveway joins the street, the rear wheels would be about 11" higher. This makes the car slope down toward its front by an additional angle:
Atan(11/116) = 5.4 deg.
5.4 + 6.0 = 11.4 > 9.2, so front will hit with SS.

Cranking the AS takes some time, perhaps 12-20 secs? There is one intersection close to my house where the gutter is deep as I make a left-hand turn ahead of oncoming traffic. Even at low speed my Leaf takes this turn pretty hard. I would have to remember to crank up the AS before I hit this intersection. This point is very close to where I often exit a freeway, so the AS would normally be at its automatic position slow speed height, which I assume is around 6". There is a traffic light before this intersection, so if I had to stop for a red light there would be time to crank the AS to its maximum height.

Am I overreacting ? Is it really this much bother to get around city streets in the Model S ?

Hi Tom,
fyi, the change in suspension height only works when the car is stopped.

I have used it on several low-looking driveways and have not bottomed out yet...

You are correct that the problem area is in the front of the car.

Hi Tom

The only time I have ever manually adjusted the suspension settings is when I was crossing over a temporary gravel 'speed bump' which was about 8 inches in height.
I have never shifted it manually in snow, speed bumps, curbs, grass parking etc, and have never scraped bottom.

The AS automatically lowers the car at highway speeds improving efficiency. I don't know that I would say anyone "needs" it. Just as no one needs a spoiler, Pano sunroof, etc. IMO it is more useful than many other options.

Tom, the front and rear overhang are close to the same at the bottom; ~40" rear and 38" front. The rear comes in a bit at the bottom so is slightly less, relative to the overall car length which extends 41" beyond the axle.

I have the SS and have managed to bottom out on my own driveway (center) and various other entrances/exits to parking lots from the street. Both front and rear have bottomed on occasion. Passenger load seems to make a difference.
Except for my own driveway, there was no obvious warning that would have helped me avoid the other scrapes if I had the AS and stopped to raise the car. I'm just very aware and more cautious now about entering potential scrape zones. I had the same problem with the front of my Porsche getting thrashed, so it didn't take much to adjust my awareness with the Model S.
If you want me to drive over to your place (still in Claremont?) and watch as I enter your driveway so you can observe the clearance, I'd be happy to.

I still have a problem figuring out where the absolute front of the car is, so if head in parking to a curb type stop, I raise it to high - very high takes too long.

Now we have yet another reason to buy a Tesla S used, when we're eventually ready to buy. So that we don't have to be overly worried about creating scrapes under the car. A used car will likely come with a few scrapes, so what are a few more? :lol:

Truth be told, I'd prefer a Model X with AWD anyway. But that'll likely be an even longer wait.

So I also hear that they might build a truck. Assuming that they build the truck and call it Model Y, they would have quite a lineup. Model S, E, X, Y. Pretty good looking automobile lineup.

ebill3 said:
I still have a problem figuring out where the absolute front of the car is, so if head in parking to a curb type stop, I raise it to high - very high takes too long.

I haven't witnessed this myself, but people on TMC are saying that the car lowers itself after you power it down. So raising it up to go over the top of a parking stop could scratch or scrape the bottom of the car if, for example, the rebar is sticking up through the parking stop more than a small amount...

palmermd said:
So I also hear that they might build a truck. Assuming that they build the truck and call it Model Y, they would have quite a lineup. Model S, E, X, Y. Pretty good looking automobile lineup.

As fun as that would be, I think it's rightful name should be Model T.

But not sure how Ford would feel about that. :roll:

Randy said:
ebill3 said:

I haven't witnessed this myself, but people on TMC are saying that the car lowers itself after you power it down. So raising it up to go over the top of a parking stop could scratch or scrape the bottom of the car if, for example, the rebar is sticking up through the parking stop more than a small amount...
My experience is that if raised when stopped, it stays there until moved. Then standard, and eventually low at speed.

JeremyW said:
palmermd said:

Well, for all we know, the truck could be the Model E. In any event they still have Models S E X.

ebill3 said:
Randy said:
ebill3 said:

My experience is that if raised when stopped, it stays there until moved. Then standard, and eventually low at speed.

+1. Park it in high, or very high and it stays there. However, if you are on an incline the system seems to have some trouble manually moving into high.

In my experience, the difference in time moving to high or very high is minimal. If it is taking a very long time you may want to get that checked out.

JeremyW said:
palmermd said:

I was thinking ET but that may also cause confusion ;)

I've rarely adjusted my suspension around Sacramento. My driveway has a good incline on it (sorry, no numbers) and I have no problem with it.

FWIW, the suspension will adjust while moving, but only at speeds lower than the ones it naturally uses when auto changing the levels.

RegGuheert said:
Telsa Model S Tackles Hoopa HillclimbI love the camera position! Great on the big screen!

Boy, that think takes off like a rocket! Does anyone know what the rattling noise is at the beginning?

Also, am I seeing (and hearing) the suspension lowering just before the second start up the hill?

The noises continue throughout, especially near the corners. It sounds awful. I know that the car doesn't normally make noise like that, it's mostly silent. And if it did sound like that, I doubt that it would be as popular or well reviewed as it is. :D

Boomer23 said:
The noises continue throughout, especially near the corners. It sounds awful. I know that the car doesn't normally make noise like that, it's mostly silent. And if it did sound like that, I doubt that it would be as popular or well reviewed as it is. :D
I'm thinking it might be the license plate since the camera appears to be mounted right near there.

Back