Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
That standard range plus looks attractive, for an extra $2k you get 20 more miles of range and some other goodies - is that leather-ish seats at that price?
I think so because the white interior is available and I doubt they have more than one seat for that. (Just guessing though.)

dgpcolorado said:
Valdemar said:
Is it for everyone or only those who paid the deposit?
I assume everyone, since I had my reservation deposit refunded some time ago (decided I liked the S much better) and I get all the options and prices at the Tesla website.

This happened sooner than I expected, which probably means Tesla is desperate.

Little table from SolarExec on gm-volt.com
Code:
Model    US Range       Price Ex Incentive    Comments
SR       220 Miles      $35,000 Standard Interior
SR Plus  240 Miles      $37,000 Upgraded Interior
MR RWD   264 Miles      $40,000 Premium Interior
LR RWD   325 Miles      $43,000 Premium Interior
LR AWD   310 Miles      $47,000 Plus All-Wheel-Drive
Perform. 310 Miles      $58,000 Plus Insanely Quick

^^ Excellent summary.
I find the jump from MR to LR most interesting since the only difference is 65 miles of additional range for $3k.
That is about 15 kWh for $3k, so about $200 a kWh retail.

Amazing

Valdemar said:
dgpcolorado said:
Valdemar said:
Is it for everyone or only those who paid the deposit?
I assume everyone, since I had my reservation deposit refunded some time ago (decided I liked the S much better) and I get all the options and prices at the Tesla website.

This happened sooner than I expected, which probably means Tesla is desperate.

Right, of course it does even though some people knew this was planned a long time ago for early this year.

EVDRIVER said:
Right, of course it does even though some people knew this was planned a long time ago for early this year.

This is good news and I'd probably be all over it if I didn't have to send my teenager to college next year :)

golfcart said:
Glad I didn't pull the trigger on anything yet. This is gonna be a really tough option to beat at that price even with the credit only worth $3750.

So basically if I want no frills and a decent color I'm looking at $37.7k + taxes.

Will you be sharing this car with your spouse or a significant other? Because the powered seats of the higher optioned interiors go very well with the driver profiles, of which you can have MANY. These are the profiles that I have preset:
- papa
- mama
- nap mode # fully reclines the seat and raises the steering wheel for a quick nap with A/C on
- tall guest # for some of my taller guests to test drive with
- short guest # for those guests who are shorter

No fiddling of the seats, mirrors (except for the rear-view mirror), steering wheel, nor driving preferences with each driver change. It's one of those things that most people don't think about until they've had to live with it for awhile.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
No fiddling of the seats, mirrors (except for the rear-view mirror), steering wheel, nor driving preferences with each driver change. It's one of those things that most people don't think about until they've had to live with it for awhile.

It'll mostly be me driving... That'll bump it up to $39.7k + taxes though u can see how this gets out of hand real quick. Plus I have to finance at 3.5% which is another $4k over the life of the loan in interest.

Part of me is hoping that this drives down the eplus prices which in turn drives down the 40kWh Leaf prices which let's me get a steal on a 2018 SV...

dgpcolorado said:
I wonder if the SR and SR partial premium models are software limited MR batteries? It would make manufacturing much easier and offer the option to open up the battery later for a fee (or when Tesla takes them back as trade-ins).
I noticed on the configurator the SR partial premium was two week delivery but the SR was four weeks, suggesting the SR is different hardware, presumably fewer cells. While there wasn't any info about it, IMO the possibility of upgrading the range would be a significant value proposition for the consumer and an additional revenue opportunity for Tesla. I can see lots of people thinking the shorter range is all fine and dandy, then having second thoughts or their situation changes. Personally I'd pay extra to know I could have a do over on that decision. They could even unlock the additional capacity on a subscription basis, or fee for the next 30 days... lots of possibilities.

LTLFTcomposite said:
dgpcolorado said:
I wonder if the SR and SR partial premium models are software limited MR batteries? It would make manufacturing much easier and offer the option to open up the battery later for a fee (or when Tesla takes them back as trade-ins).
I noticed on the configurator the SR partial premium was two week delivery but the SR was four weeks, suggesting the SR is different hardware,
Same weight

dgpcolorado said:

I was pleased to see that they are bringing back the long range RWD version (listed as 325 miles, still a bit less than the true EPA range), for those who want the most range and don't care about AWD. $43k for that model, with black premium interior and black paint. [White interior is available for $1000 extra (also on the partial premium interior but not the standard interior).]
Actually, they are doing an OTA update to increase the range of the LR RWD to 325. Makes me happy. My 13 month old M3 with 20k miles is getting a range increase.
Same thing happened with my LEAF! ... oh wait, the opposite.

I doubt there will be an actual range increase. This sounds to me like Tesla has decided to use the actual EPA result.
Today's news was wonderful but the 'range increase' is a sleight of hand I am not particularly proud of.

SageBrush said:
I doubt there will be an actual range increase. This sounds to me like Tesla has decided to use the actual EPA result.
Today's news was wonderful but the 'range increase' is a sleight of hand I am not particularly proud of.
I doubt it is a sleight of hand.

This is from 2014 :

dgpcolorado said:
evnow said:
Tesla will not make a car that gets less than 200 mile EV range - since that complicates SuperCharger network infrastructure (which assumes certain range for their cars).
I wonder about that. It seems unrealistic to get a 200 mile (EPA) range car for under $40k in the next three to four years. My assumption (WAG) was that Tesla would have a base model that has a lower range and then an upgraded model at greater cost that would also be Supercharger capable. (Much as they tried to do with the original three battery sizes with the Model S.)

However, I'd love for you to be right; if they can produce a 200 mile (EPA) range car for under $40k, great! Time for a pizza bet? ;)

Well, they took 1 more year - but they did pull it off.

200 mile range 3 for $35k. That you can order online (so will get it if you order - don't have to hunt for that lone base model in the dealer lot) and return after 7 days !

There are many here who said they won't. Great to see Tesla pull it off.

Infact - like I suspected sometime back - they have it earlier than you can buy a 200+ mile range Leaf. Nissan really just gave up their early entrant advantage on EVs.

I really doubt any of the German luxury car makers can make anything close to 3 in price - anytime soon. By "soon" I mean in next 5 years. But in those 5 years - Tesla will be further along with Y & Pickup and …. I'd be very worried if I was a BMW dealer now.

EVDRIVER said:
lorenfb said:
sparky said:
You pulled that 100k number from where?

How about:

1. Per Elon - 2019 guidance of 400K
2. Typical ROW % of total guidance, 50%
3. Assume Q1/Q2 50% of 400K guidance, 200K
4. ROW @ 50% of Q1/Q2, then ROW = 100K

But then again, who really knows what the on-going demand in the U.S. will be for the M3, and thus whether Elon can achieve 400K, right?

And $35K Tesla is here with glass roof and 200 plus mile range. Should have terrible sales.

I put my order in this afternoon as soon as I heard the news.

SageBrush said:
From Tesla (emphasis added):
We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

sparky said:
SageBrush said:
From Tesla (emphasis added):
We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

This is easy enough to sort out. Check the charge voltage at a Supercharger at close to 100% SoC before and after the firmware update. If they are the same then your actual range has not changed.

evnow said:
I really doubt any of the German luxury car makers can make anything close to 3 in price - anytime soon. By "soon" I mean in next 5 years. But in those 5 years - Tesla will be further along with Y & Pickup and …. I'd be very worried if I was a BMW dealer now.
Well...If BMW wanted to make a sparsely appointed 220 mile range EV for 35K, I think they could. But I don't think that's their business model. They're going to make a 400 mile range EV (X3, 4 series) with luxury appointments. Look at the price of a model 3 long range with all the bells and whistles. This would compare to a BMW, price wise.

Two things. You quoted a five year old post. The op was right BMW and other Germans did not put out anything to match that spec. But it also took Tesla 5 years to do it as well.

It'll be interesting to see the industry reaction over the next six months.

SageBrush said:
This is easy enough to sort out. Check the charge voltage at a Supercharger at close to 100% SoC before and after the firmware update. If they are the same then your actual range has not changed.

Maybe, maybe not. They could be allowing a deeper discharge. They could have tweaked something to make the drivetrain more efficient.

But at the end of the day, I do agree that this was probably at least mostly a sleight of hand (code) rather than an actual improvement in range.

Back