Official Southern California Edison thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Important Update. As of January 2015, many EV owners are receiving letters from Southern California Edison informing us that the utility is cancelling the TOU-D-TEV rate plan. Their proposed alternatives will undermine the effectiveness of solar systems purchased by EV drivers. Why EV Owners with Solar Systems are having their investments compromised so soon and before we can recoup our investment is baffling. What is going on at the CPUC and the State of CA to allow this to happy? Please visit http://www.protectourrates.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to become educated and to let our State representatives know about this issue!

JoeGray100 said:
Important Update. As of January 2015, many EV owners are receiving letters from Southern California Edison informing us that the utility is cancelling the TOU-D-TEV rate plan. Their proposed alternatives will undermine the effectiveness of solar systems purchased by EV drivers. Why EV Owners with Solar Systems are having their investments compromised so soon and before we can recoup our investment is baffling. What is going on at the CPUC and the State of CA to allow this to happy? Please visit http://www.protectourrates.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to become educated and to let our State representatives know about this issue!

Did you have a net kWh credit? Or just a monetary credit for $300?

SCE does not issue a check unless you have net annual production in kWh. Even then the amount to pay is small.... not at retail rates.
I think you bought too much solar and the new rate will have you closer to breaking even.

Having on-peak rates from 10am to 6pm rather than the more realistic 2pm to 8 or 9pm was unrealistic with the TOU-D-TEV even if the solar community liked it.

I happend to stumble upon info about how solar net metering, or lack that of, operates at Georgia Power in Georgia. Perhaps some of you fellow SCE customers might be interested in how relatively good we have in California. Perhaps there are other states and utilities that are worse.

From Wikipedi entry for Georgia Power:
Georgia Power has a solar purchase program, SP-1, for up to 100 kW systems which pays 17¢/kWh. A second meter is installed for the solar generation, all of which is purchased by Georgia Power. The consumer then purchases back any electricity consumed as if they did not have solar power. The program has an aggregate limit of 4.4 MW and is fully subscribed, but will be expanded as consumers purchase "Premium Green Energy", for an additional $5.00/100kWh. Once a consumer enters the program there is no reason to also purchase green energy, as doing so would reduce the 17 cent payment to 12 cents.
Since the program is "fully subscribed" there is a waiting list to connect solar for your house or business. I checked the list and it is moderately long. As I understand it, you only move off the waiting list when you get to the top of the list and sufficient new volunteer GP customers sign up for "Premium Green Energy" at a $.05/kWh premium to themselves to guarantee that GP can recover the net $.05/kWh they are paying you for your solar power. It appears your solar power costs GP exactly zero. However, from their point of view they probably say they are not making a profit on your generation and they are not charging for distributing your green power to your green-friendly neighbor.

Somehow, despite these policies, installed solar capacity increased over 400% in 2013 to 88 MW. They have a new program, called "Georgia Power Advanced Solar Initiative" that began in 2014. I could not find any prices associated with this program. In this case, if they are over subscribed, they will conduct a lottery to see who gets to hook up.

Monthly Rate Schedule(Georgia Power)

WINTER - October through May
First 650 kWh: 5.3927¢ per kWh
650-1,000 kWh: 4.6270¢ per kWh
Over 1,000 kWh: 4.5422¢ per kWh ----- Use more get lower rates :shock:

SUMMER - June through September
First 650 kWh: 5.3927¢ per kWh
650-1,000 kWh: 8.9637¢ per kWh
Over 1,000 kWh: 9.2638¢ per kWh

http://www.georgiapower.com/residential/rate-plans/standard-service.cshtml

Am I missing something? CA rates start at about 11 cents for super off peak and go to 49 cents on peak Summer.

I would not install solar with those Georgia rates.
Must be a municipal owned utility. I wish Georgia Power would buy out SCE. The debt service would be lower than the preferred return to SCE investors and eventually the debt would be paid.

Just got my check for the surplus I had! I didn't think they were going to do that. I read they would send a surplus at wholesale rate, but I got the full amount SCE charges. I had $75 surplus and got that back. Probably the last time that'll happen as they changed the rate structure for 2015. Oh well, nice while it lasted...

voltiar said:
Just got my check for the surplus I had! I didn't think they were going to do that. I read they would send a surplus at wholesale rate, but I got the full amount SCE charges. I had $75 surplus and got that back. Probably the last time that'll happen as they changed the rate structure for 2015. Oh well, nice while it lasted...

That's very odd. Maybe it has something to do with the carbon credit payments that we get quarterly or half-yearly. I thought that they would zero that out with the rest of my credit balance at the end if my meeting year, but maybe not. My year ends in early March. We'll see.

Did you have a credit balance of kWh used for the year, or did you use more kWh than you generated and you just had a dollar credit balance?

Looks like we get a few more months on the old rate plan:

The new Residential Time-of-Use Plan, TOU-D, was introduced January 1, 2015 to replace our Home & Electric Vehicle Plan, TOU-D-TEV. Current TOU-D-TEV customers will be transitioned to the new rate during March and April 2015. You can decide to remain on this new plan, or switch to another rate plan of your choice.

I also got my $80 credit back as a check. I thought I had posted this earlier, but it is not on the thread now. SCE went back to those of us with a net energy credit, for which the April and Oct carbon credits were being buried by our Net Metering credit, and have paid us directly in real $.

Today, Feb 4, I called SCE TOU-EV department about transition off TOU-DTEV onto Plan A. She said the transition has been delayed until March, and I will get another letter.

My only hope with Plan A is that I can make off-peak go negative, because 10am to 2pm solar production will now fall into off peak. If no TOU period is net negative, I will owe money every month. Hopefully I can accumulate some credit in spring and fall.

tbleakne said:
I also got my $80 credit back as a check. I thought I had posted this earlier, but it is not on the thread now. SCE went back to those of us with a net energy credit, for which the April and Oct carbon credits were being buried by our Net Metering credit, and have paid us directly in real $.

Today, Feb 4, I called SCE TOU-EV department about transition off TOU-DTEV onto Plan A. She said the transition has been delayed until March, and I will get another letter.

My only hope with Plan A is that I can make off-peak go negative, because 10am to 2pm solar production will now fall into off peak. If no TOU period is net negative, I will owe money every month. Hopefully I can accumulate some credit in spring and fall.

I'm quite surprised and impressed that we are getting that $80 back as real dollars. As we've discussed in person, the way SCE buried the credits in their running balance listing on the bill, I had every expectation that they were going to shine it on and ignore it with our other accumulated credit balances. I guess that would have been illegal, since the credits are meant to offset customer costs.
Once I get my check, I'll mentally bank it against the small monthly account cost and the $1 per month grid use fee. Small favors, but hey, when do consumers get favors these days? Cool!

At least in the US, almost all solar inverters are programmed to shut down whenever the grid power gets the least bit flakey in terms of voltage, frequency, etc.
Such solar inverters cannot provide any assistance in stabilizing the grid, and as solar penetration increases, they can actually contribute to instability by taking generation off line just when it is needed.

With lots of sunshine and high electric rates driven by imported fossil fuel, Hawaii has some of the highest rates of solar penetration. The HI utility has been dragging its feet on accepting more hookups, claiming that grid stability is being threatened.

The report below describes a major change in this situation in which Enphase, in conjunction with the utility and NREL, implemented a software change on all their micro inverters in Oahu.

Right now the programmed change only affects the voltage and frequency thresholds at which the inverter will stay connected. Enphase says they will come out with a hardware upgrade that will enable its inverters to supply power factor correction as well. When the current gets out of phase with the voltage, the power factor drops below one, and this is common when the grid is stressed.

The report says CPUC approved a similar change in its standards in December.

At the moment no one is talking about compensating us solar generators for adding to grid stability, but these changes and upgrades should help us defend ourselves against the Net metering pushback.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise...0-microinverters-remotely-retrofitted-on-oahu

I received a letter today from SCE notifying me that I will be switched from TOU-D-TEV to TOU-D-A effective April. That's the plan I want and I called them a few months back and asked for it, so that's all good. They included a cost estimation for my annual costs on the old and new plans, broken down into energy costs and non-energy costs. Their comparison table claims that I will not see any change in costs between the two plans, and my projections basically agree with that.

The slightly odd thing is that they claim that my annual non-energy costs under both the old and new plans were and will be $11 per year. I get that the new fixed monthly cost will be about 91 cents per month, which I assume is a grid use fee. But on the old plan, I'm paying a buck or two a month just for being a customer. That comes to more than $11 a year on the old plan, so they're a little off there. But I wonder if the 91 cents a month is all there is on the new plan, or if there'll be 91 cents plus the usual buck or two, just for grins.

Got my latest letter today. SCE says my annual cost will drop from $375 to $175. I don't believe it.
I am already at $175 so should it drop to zero :roll:
Time will tell but I primarily see it as an increase.

My current energy costs are zero due to my 5 kW rooftop solar and charging the LEAF overnight. SCE says I'll still have zero energy costs, and my guess is they're right.

Got my letter yesterday. SCE said my energy cost for Jan-2014 through Dec-2014 was $16, and under the new plan it would've been $0.

Curious about that $16 figure, I pulled out my bills from last year to check. My actual energy charge from January to December, after removing the two $40 climate credits, was -$31. :roll:

Since SCE obviously did some funny math to somehow come up with the $16 figure, I decided to do my own analysis of how much my energy charge will be after my forced switch to TOU-D-A. I looked at how much energy I use (or produce) during each hour of a typical winter and summer day, and used that information to partition my total on peak, off peak, and super off peak usage for the year by hour.

I then reclassified my usage into on peak, off peak, and super off peak based on the new rate structure, and calculated what my cost for the year would have been, and I got $182!!!

It's bad enough that SCE is devaluing our solar assets so dramatically while we're powerless to do anything about it, but why do they have to use bogus math to dupe us into thinking this switch will actually be beneficial to those of us with EVs and solar? :x

fooljoe said:
Got my letter yesterday. SCE said my energy cost for Jan-2014 through Dec-2014 was $16, and under the new plan it would've been $0.

Curious about that $16 figure, I pulled out my bills from last year to check. My actual energy charge from January to December, after removing the two $40 climate credits, was -$31. :roll:

Since SCE obviously did some funny math to somehow come up with the $16 figure, I decided to do my own analysis of how much my energy charge will be after my forced switch to TOU-D-A. I looked at how much energy I use (or produce) during each hour of a typical winter and summer day, and used that information to partition my total on peak, off peak, and super off peak usage for the year by hour.

I then reclassified my usage into on peak, off peak, and super off peak based on the new rate structure, and calculated what my cost for the year would have been, and I got $182!!!

It's bad enough that SCE is devaluing our solar assets so dramatically while we're powerless to do anything about it, but why do they have to use bogus math to dupe us into thinking this switch will actually be beneficial to those of us with EVs and solar? :x

I agree with your outrage at the way SCE and the other two large PUs are pushing these changes through. Looks like you did an exhaustive analysis of your situation. More exhaustive than mine. I only spot-checked a summer month and a winter month.

One thought: TOU-D-A has a "baseline credit" of 10 cents/kWh. Since baseline is about 300 kWh per month (depending upon city you're located in), that credit would amount to about $30/month. I'm not positive about how SCE will apply and calculate that credit, but if it's as simple as it sounds, it could amount to a $30 monthly savings. That would offset up to $360 per year of other charges. I'm skeptical about why they'd offer this credit, and if it'll apply to all of us, but if it's true, perhaps it represents a "sweetener" to get us gently used to rate plans with fixed monthly minimums (now only 93 cents/mo).

Thanks Boomer. I think I was missing that component when using a crayon on the back of a napkin to calculate my new cost. ;)
Of course that knife cuts both ways when you have solar. Time will tell how it gets applied.

Boomer23 said:
One thought: TOU-D-A has a "baseline credit" of 10 cents/kWh. Since baseline is about 300 kWh per month (depending upon city you're located in), that credit would amount to about $30/month. I'm not positive about how SCE will apply and calculate that credit, but if it's as simple as it sounds, it could amount to a $30 monthly savings. That would offset up to $360 per year of other charges. I'm skeptical about why they'd offer this credit, and if it'll apply to all of us, but if it's true, perhaps it represents a "sweetener" to get us gently used to rate plans with fixed monthly minimums (now only 93 cents/mo).
Yeah, I was uncertain as to how to apply that baseline credit myself, but I assume the worst. As I recall, in the past there was a similar credit on tier 1 usage, that amounted to a line item on the bill that amounted to you paying SCE some amount if you have negative consumption due to solar. I'm going to assume this is similar.

One takeaway I had from this was that as bad as the redefinition of "on peak" is, the biggest impact on my predicted bill comes from raising the super off peak rate from 9.5c to 11c. That extra 1.5c can make a BIG difference, especially if you have two EVs like me.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that if I could only shift ~2 kWh/day from on peak to super off peak then I could negate the predicted increase. I usually have at least that much left in the Leaf after a day's driving, and I usually get home a couple hours before on peak ends at 8pm. Plus I wouldn't mind a little extra battery degradation to help me lose that 9th bar. Let's get Leaf to grid working! Any ideas on how to accomplish it for cheap?

fooljoe said:
Boomer23 said:
Yeah, I was uncertain as to how to apply that baseline credit myself, but I assume the worst. As I recall, in the past there was a similar credit on tier 1 usage, that amounted to a line item on the bill that amounted to you paying SCE some amount if you have negative consumption due to solar. I'm going to assume this is similar.

One takeaway I had from this was that as bad as the redefinition of "on peak" is, the biggest impact on my predicted bill comes from raising the super off peak rate from 9.5c to 11c. That extra 1.5c can make a BIG difference, especially if you have two EVs like me.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that if I could only shift ~2 kWh/day from on peak to super off peak then I could negate the predicted increase. I usually have at least that much left in the Leaf after a day's driving, and I usually get home a couple hours before on peak ends at 8pm. Plus I wouldn't mind a little extra battery degradation to help me lose that 9th bar. Let's get Leaf to grid working! Any ideas on how to accomplish it for cheap?

You got me thinking (read: worrying), about how SCE might finagle this weird baseline credit, and possibly do the double-negative thing and actually charge us ten cents per kWh that we over-generate. I highly doubt that extreme outcome would get past the uproar from both the solar PV user base and the solar industry after the first month's bills arrive. But I did some further searching to see if anyone has gotten a clearer answer as to how it'll work.

This link here will take you to a Tesla owner forum where they discussed this. If you scroll down to member DaveR75, you'll see a dialogue from an SCE rep on how it'll work. Granted, it's incomplete and it doesn't address solar users, but it does say that all users will get a monthly credit of $0.10 per kWh of actual usage (meaning net usage drawn from SCE's grid) up to their baseline amount. But for months when the customer uses less power than the baseline, the credit would be reduced accordingly. (Baseline is different for each city, but for example, for me in Irvine, winter baseline is 285 kWh and summer baseline is 313 kWh for some representative months. The actual baseline is a daily number of kWh, so the total baseline for a month will depend partly on the number of days in the month.)

That means to me that if a solar user generates power equal to his power usage for any month, he wouldn't get any baseline credit for that month. And in other months, if his net usage is let's say half of his baseline amount, say 150 kWh, he'd only get his 10 cent credit for that much usage, i.e. $15 for that month. You'd only get the full baseline credit in any month that you net use at least your baseline allocation.

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong on this, if your PV system is large enough that you always have a net usage of zero kWh, and if you're on a TOU plan and charging over night, you're probably sitting on a monthly credit that gets zeroed out at the end of the net metering year anyway, so you don't care that you'd miss out on the baseline credit. But if you're like most people and you use slightly more power than you generate some months, each month of the year will be a different story. If you use a lot of air conditioning in August, you'll have a net bill for Peak power usage and possibly not much if any baseline credit to offset it.

So how to play this game? Looking at my own usage over the last year, I'd only get the full baseline credit in November, December and January. So if that turns out to be true, for those other nine months, I'll be missing out on using some cheap kWh. Since the credit is 10 cents and Super Off Peak usage is 11 cents, any car charging or other power usage during Super Off Peak up to the baseline amount would only cost me a penny per kWh. And SCE has expanded Super Off Peak to include the ten hours of 10 pm to 8 am, every day. So you could probably move some of your laundry and dish washing into those hours, and maybe you could drive your EV more and do more charging at a penny per kWh.

Will it work out this way? We shall see. One member of that Tesla forum, "ARCHER" at the bottom of the page, says that he's been on Plan A since January, (I'm not sure how he got on the plan that early) and it hasn't bitten him in any strange way, so maybe some of our fears won't come to pass.

Back