Official Renault Fluence Z.E. thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun says:
Exactly how does battery leasing drop the total cost "drastically"?

Several ways.. you are decoupling the no. 1 wear item in a BEV from the vehicle itself, manufacturer's warranty expenses on the car will be lower and thus price can be lower.. obviously the car itself is much cheaper, even cheaper than ICE once mass production sets in. The battery lease is now a monthly payment substituting gasoline payments, its warranty can also be degraded to the term of the lease.. once the battery is expended it can be used for stationary storage and generate another profit stream for the leasing company. You could always opt out and buy your own battery, choosing its size and warranty level.

Dont forget PBP plans to sell miles.. thus if you dont drive much you will pay much less, essentially you pay only for what you use.. for some people that will be a big savings.

Personally I would buy the car, opt for a 3 year battery lease, and opt-out of the swap package (unless its free).. also I would probably buy a state-of-the-art replacement at the end of the lease, or perhaps go two cycles and then buy once they get down to $200 per kwh. Perhaps used 3 year old batteries will be really cheap..lots of options.

edatoakrun says:
How will the cost of building battery swap stations every 60-100 miles across the US, instead of fast charge stations, be "minimal"?

Thats crazy talk, I never mentioned anything like that.. you would be much better off having the Feds build quick charge stations (50-100kw) across the nations hwy network. I prefer on-the-run wireless recharging myself, mostly to support long distance trucking... but passenger cars can also piggy ride on the system. Both these systems should be setup by the Feds, to promote interstate commerce. Forcing truck drivers to stop for 30 minutes and take a nap every couple hundred miles would really cut down on "incidents".

edatoakrun says:
And how much will the costs for battery swap locations increase if they have to stock multiple battery designs, fully-charged, for multiple vehicles?

People will not really use the swap stations, they are just there for peace of mind. PBP plans to use 3 different designs. I would guess 15 batteries of each type would deal with even continuous swaps under worst case conditions.. a further guess is that the stations will start with 3 of each and see how it goes. This is still much cheaper than setting up a traditional gas station with its underground tanks and environmental permits. While the batteries sit on standby at the station they can also be used for grid stabilization purposes, making money.. after all they are connected to the grid already. PBP will direct you automatically to the nearest station with available stock, thus minimizing the need for capital. Note that grid stabilization will not wear out a battery, they are only cycled 1-2% at most... it will not even wear out an almost worn out battery.

I actually dont see a point to automating the swap, set up the stations at the rear of car washes or garages.. pay teenagers to do it for $10 an hour.. if properly designed its safe and foolproof, and you can tip the teenager to get a "good" battery... make sure he is not texting his GF instead of bolting down the battery.

edatoakrun says:
Or will each manufacture have to build their own network of "swap stations"?

Unless they want to use PBP standard battery sizes and connection protocols.. but they would be crazy not to.. for many reasons (one of them liability). Hopefully it will be an open standard, thus competition will keep those packs cheap. Traditionally car manufacturers have stayed in business selling cars, not the gasoline needed to run those cars. Making their cars compatible with the PBP system opens up more markets.

Note the usual large 18 wheeler gets about 7mpg on diesel, or about 0.5miles/kwh.. assuming the diesel engine is running at 40% efficiency and that is generous. Thus to get 200 miles of range on a truck you would need about a 400kwh pack.

Any news on the Fluenze?.. whats the total up to?.. I imagine if the batteries are sourced from Japan there may be additional delays.

Herm said:
Note the usual large 18 wheeler gets about 7mpg on diesel, or about 0.5miles/kwh.. assuming the diesel engine is running at 40% efficiency and that is generous. Thus to get 200 miles of range on a truck you would need about a 400kwh pack.
With ultra-low sulfur diesel and a 2007-later engine with exhaust gas recirculation and a diesel particulate filter it's closer to 4-5. It doesn't change your range/kWh number, but does make electrification - at least hybrid - look better.

evnow's got me hooked - fast electric trains for long-haul service and hybrid and/or BEV trucks for shorter runs.

Passenger trains with car trailers and inductive charging is likely to be a very efficient way to 'drive' our EVs long distances.

Project Better Place Retail Pricing in Denmark

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38557

"The Renault Fluence Z.E. Bev was launched in Denmark with a starting price of $38,750 USD including VAT. That is the car but there is a separate lease price for the battery…"

Low "apparent" cost of oil-based transportation, and pollution/scarse-resource fees/taxes/penalties?

Electric rail is fairly common in the rest of the "rich" nations. Perhaps there is some "hidden" force at work in the USA to kill off non-oil applications ... just maybe? :D

Fluence review in the Telegraph.. it will be a year after production started before is sold in the UK?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/carreviews/8846025/Renault-Fluence-review.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The Fluence ZE is due next spring offering a different kind of deal to the Leaf of sister company Nissan. Where you buy the Leaf and its 24kWh battery outright for £26,000 including a £5,000 government EV (electric vehicle) grant, the Fluence sells for £17,850 including the grant but without the 22kWh battery, which is leased separately for £81 a month over three years."

How much is a diesel Megane and how much does it cost to keep it fueled up for 12k miles a year?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1068538_2012-renault-fluence-z-e-comprehensive-drive-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might not know it, but the 2012 Renault Fluence Z.E. electric car is technically the world’s most in-demand electric car. With a massive 100,000 cars ordered by battery swap and charging infrastructure company Better Place and production already underway, the French designed electric sedan from the Renault-Nissan alliance could be the highest-selling electric car of 2012.
When it came to handling, we preferred the Fluence Z.E.’s heavier steering over the 2012 NIssan Leaf, although we noted that the higher battery pack meant the Fluence had a little more body roll on corners than the Leaf.
However, when it came to wet roads, the Fluence Z.E. wasn’t quite as well-mannered as its all-black leather interior and benign dials would suggest.

Accelerating from standstill, our car behaved impeccably -- but our first test car struggled to keep control of the motor’s 166 foot-pounds of torque when accelerating while moving.

I'd think FFE will be similar to Fluence when it comes to driving.

a picture of the quick swap battery used in the Fluence can be seen here:

http://www.forococheselectricos.com/2011/11/nissan-fabricara-en-francia-la-segunda.html?showComment=1322150874532#c5093342676906377640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a very interesting looking chunk of battery

Also from the same forum, Nissan will build the next generation battery for Renault in France.. they will lease the building and land from Renault and sell them the batteries.. supposedly the next generation battery will have about 30% better range and lower cost. The batteries used now are imported from Japan. Renault was planning on help from the French government but that fell away.. so they decided to delay the battery plant to 2015 and to bypass manufacturing the 1st generation battery completely.. Nissan must not feel those batteries are ready for production yet.

The Smyrna battery factory will start up around 2013 making the first generation battery, and then switch to the second generation in 2015?

Herm said:
How much is a diesel Megane and how much does it cost to keep it fueled up for 12k miles a year?

Real world, 5,5 liter per 100 km (62 miles) (42,67 mpg)

Price of fuel? depend of country:

http://www.energy.eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liter:

Spain, € 1,324
France, € 1,444
UK, € 1,688
Germany, € 1,432
Italy, € 1,518
EU AVERAGE € 1.393

So in UK: (12000 miles x 5,5 liter x 1,688 €) / 62 miles x liter = € 1796 = £ 1535

mwalsh said:
I've just read that the Fluence ZE doesn't use the same motor as the LEAF. Instead it supposedly uses a coil-rotor motor that Renault says gives better range. Anyone know anything more about this?

"The electric motor, transmission, differential and parking lock are all accommodated in a single housing, saving space in the Renault powertrains. As for the drive unit, Continental has opted for an externally - excited synchronous motor. Compared with a permanent magnet electric motor, this technology offers an better overall level of efficiency across the whole of an electric vehicle's operating range, and also enhances the safety of the electric drive system. In addition, no expensive rare earth metals are needed for magnets"

I have read a efficiency between 95%-98%.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/com/en/continental/pressportal/themes/press_releases/3_automotive_group/powertrain/press_releases/pr_20110913_elektromotor_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But Renault Zoe will have a motor made by Renault, cheaper than Continental motor.

€ 16.890, $ 21.900

http://www.coches.net/ofertas_especiales/renault/fluence/madrid/nuevo-ze_expression-electrico_/_hibrido-26249740-nuvn.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herm said:
a picture of the quick swap battery used in the Fluence can be seen here:

http://www.forococheselectricos.com/2011/11/nissan-fabricara-en-francia-la-segunda.html?showComment=1322150874532#c5093342676906377640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a very interesting looking chunk of battery

b2c8103b.jpg

electric-cars_7.jpg

both the LEAF and Fluence ZE have a very similar sized but not identical area for the footprint (area between the 4 wheels)

as the Fluence ZE has a battery aft of the rear suspension whereas the LEAF has its battery fore of the rear suspension, the Fluence ZE could've been designed to accommodate 2 batteries for twice the capacity

a reasonable price for this fictional uber Fluence ZE

the price of a LEAF + a fluence ZE battery lease

its range would be midway between a Tesla S40 and a Tesla S60!

Back