Official Mitsubishi i-MiEV Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this thread. I haven't read all 17 pages, but just thought I'd chime in that we just bought an i-MiEV instead of leasing a Leaf.

For the price of about a 4 year Leaf lease, we got the whole car. We can do whatever customizing we want with it, etc.

We like the regen in the i-MiEV better, and also the visibility out the windows. Furthermore, we like the simplicity - the Leaf has tons of bells and whistles, but this car is nice and simple. Not too many buttons to push or screens to look at.

It was the cheapest entry into the EV production market, and meets our daily driving needs. We can use it for 90% of our driving until something comes along that really fits the bill for us (we have relatives within about a ~200 mile r/t range with no opportunity to recharge, since we have to drive them around when we are down there - our ideal car would handle this). In the meantime, we're driving electric and having a blast, not waiting on the sidelines. We can upgrade at our leisure, and not be scrambling for another EV or settling for an "old" Leaf at the end of the lease.

We're happy there is more than one option out there, and we're delighted with our cute little car!

Jenn
Santa Clara, CA

jennrod12 said:
We like the regen in the i-MiEV better, and also the visibility out the windows. Furthermore, we like the simplicity - the Leaf has tons of bells and whistles, but this car is nice and simple. Not too many buttons to push or screens to look at.
I'm with you, Jenn. I do love my LEAF, but I would have much preferred a simpler car. If the "i" had been available a year ago I would have jumped at it instead, but I've reached the point in my life where putting things off "for another year" too often means you never do them at all. (I'll never fly a glider; I'll never climb another mountain.) It's astonishing how precious time becomes when you get into your seventies.

Sincerest congratulations on your car!

Ray

I am of the other camp. I drove the i a number of times and would still buy the Leaf over it in a heart-beat. The i simply is too toy-like for me and does not offer the amenities or performance that I desire in a vehicle. For the roughly $5K difference in price (based on when I bought), the Leaf is a lot more car. I also, frankly, don't much care for the looks of the i...

planet4ever said:
I'm with you, Jenn. I do love my LEAF, but I would have much preferred a simpler car. If the "i" had been available a year ago I would have jumped at it instead, but I've reached the point in my life where putting things off "for another year" too often means you never do them at all. (I'll never fly a glider; I'll never climb another mountain.) It's astonishing how precious time becomes when you get into your seventies.

TomT said:
I am of the other camp. I drove the i a number of times and would still buy the Leaf over it in a heart-beat. The i simply is too toy-like for me and does not offer the amenities or performance that I desire in a vehicle. For the roughly $5K difference in price (based on when I bought), the Leaf is a lot more car. I also, frankly, don't much care for the looks of the i...

planet4ever said:
No matter if you prefer the Leaf over the I, the outcome is we now have a choice!

Looks like Mitsubishi has decided to ditch Eaton and Best Buy in favor of AV:

http://envirolib.org/press-releases/mitsubishi-motors-north-america-adds-aerovironment%E2%80%99s-turnkey-electric-vehicle-charging-station-and-installation-solution-to-its-integrated-ev-offering/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
Looks like Mitsubishi has decided to ditch Eaton and Best Buy in favor of AV
Ditch? I certainly hope not, and that's not what the article says:
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) and AeroVironment, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVAV), an authority in electric vehicle (EV) infrastructure solutions, today announced AeroVironment’s selection as an additional authorized and approved nationwide supplier of EV home charging systems, on-site installation services and support for the all-new 100 percent electric-powered 2012 Mitsubishi i
(color added)

Ray

planet4ever said:
mwalsh said:
Looks like Mitsubishi has decided to ditch Eaton and Best Buy in favor of AV
Ditch? I certainly hope not, and that's not what the article says:
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) and AeroVironment, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVAV), an authority in electric vehicle (EV) infrastructure solutions, today announced AeroVironment’s selection as an additional authorized and approved nationwide supplier of EV home charging systems, on-site installation services and support for the all-new 100 percent electric-powered 2012 Mitsubishi i
(color added)

Ray

Guess it might he helped if I'd actually read past the headline, huh?

WTG Jenn! hope you enjoy your Ride!

i am in the "drive EV at all costs (that i can afford)" i would have gotten the MiEV if it was first, Period. Nissan did it right by rushing the Leaf to market.

i drove a Zenn for 3+ years so the MiEV was a HUGE upgrade and would have fit my needs anyway. check my monthly stats. i am down to nearly 2 cents a mile in charging cost but only because i am using public charging and not because i have to, its because i can. they are literally popping up all over town.

now the QC is not happening like i wanted it to and i have a sneaking suspicion that the first QC will launch in our area the same day that Ecotality turns on the meter which is the other reason why i am public plugging now, get it while its free!!

Events: EAA Silicon Valley a chapter of the Electric Auto Association
http://eaasv.org/meetings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

March 17, 2012 10am - noon at HP Cupertino,
Building 48, Oak Room.

* Guest Speaker: Steve and Sean of Capitol Mitsubishi.

This month there will be a presentation about the new Mitsubishi iMiev from
a local dealer, Capitol Mitsubishi. They will bring two vehicles, one of
each trim ES and SE, to the meeting for up-close examination and will give
test rides after the discussion.

Bring your questions about this new BEV, should be an interesting discussion.

Mitsubishi Shows Off Its Bubbly i-MiEV Sport Air Concept at the New York Auto Show.

For me this is bittersweet; after all these years, the Sport Air is still
just a "concept car."

Inhabitat did a report on the Sport Air in 2006.
Their final comment at that time was:
Whether or not this vehicle is what ends up on the road in 2009
remains to be seen. But it appears that Misubishi, at least
in principle is committed to thinking slightly outside the box.

I really like this car, but it's been dangled out in front of us for 6+ years
now with no commitment by Mitsubishi to produce it.

The indecision and teasing got old long ago.

I think its about time that Mitsubishi put-up or shut-up on the Sport Air.

FWIW:
(In inches) ......... Sport* ....... I # ...... Fit ........ LEAF
Length .............. 133.7 ... 144.8 .. 161.6 .... 175.0
Width .................... 58 ...... 62.4 .... 66.7 ..... 69.7
Height ................... 63 ..... 63.6 ..... 60.0 ..... 61.0
Wheel Base ........ 100.4 ... 100.4 .... 98.4 ... 106.3
Curb weight (lbs) 2134 ... 2579 ..... 2496 .... 3401
*2009, as best I can determine.
# US/Canada car is 12 in. longer, 4 in. wider that JDM/Europe car.

Early version:
05x0G.jpg

Current version, last bodywork redo ~2009?:
XfaRx.jpg

Edmunds InsideLine just got an iMiEV for a long-term test vehicle. Yesterday they posted that they barely made 50 miles on the freeway (turtle turned on at 45 miles, squeezed out another few miles on surface streets, did make it "home" without a tow). Granted, it did rain for part of it but still... I can easily exceed 50 miles on a 80% charge...

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2012/04/2012-mitsubishi-i-miev-i-dont-read.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was able to test drive the i-MiEV last week.

First off, I was surprised to even find out that I actually fit in the drivers seat! I'm 6'4" so that is saying something about it. The cabin (wind) noise seemed as loud as a gas car, much louder than a leaf. Overall it feels and looks econo-box but with a much higher sticker price. :) I agree with others that for not much more money you get a lot more car going with a Nissan Leaf. However, if Mitsu lowers the price just a bit more, I think it could pick up a lot more younger folks that can't justify the leaf's price, but love ev's.

I also caught a i-MiEV fast charging at Mitsubishi's headquarters; the fans run during the charging to cool the pack. Rapid charge time was about 15 min from near empty to 80%.

Jeremy

Nissan is watching the little Mitsu closely. They have openly declared an interest in doing a tiny city EV but I have serious doubts how these will play in North America. We tend to like big or fast.

Back