2013 LEAF Range Test Feb 24, 2013 in San Diego; 81 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The results were very interesting. :eek: I am going to try the route with my 2011, next month and see how far 250 GIDs will get me. My GIDs are down 10%, but my range seems to be down 17%. We shall see.

From the OP:

The car arrived at the Blink charging station at 13520 Evening Creek Drive North, San Diego to top off the car to 100%. The car had started from the owner's house about 8 miles away where it had been charged to 100% and left for 6 hours to allow the automation to balance the 96 cell pairs.

Quick question: Are six hours needed to optimally balance the cells? If, not how long after it reaches 100% would suffice? Thanks, haven't been able to find this in my googling.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
From the OP:

The car arrived at the Blink charging station at 13520 Evening Creek Drive North, San Diego to top off the car to 100%. The car had started from the owner's house about 8 miles away where it had been charged to 100% and left for 6 hours to allow the automation to balance the 96 cell pairs.

Quick question: Are six hours needed to optimally balance the cells? If, not how long after it reaches 100% would suffice? Thanks, haven't been able to find this in my googling.

Yes, I would say in 99% of the time, six hours is plenty. Generally, it all occurs within 1 to 4 hours. We will very soon have components that you can buy and plug in your LEAF and see the real world 96 cell pair millivolt measurements !!!

You'll know when they are balanced!!

Any San Diego 2013 LEAFS up for a range test, this Friday at Noon? Same route as last time, 79.9 miles.

Philip 858-695-1594

I made the 79.9 miles.

100kph GPS, 36 psi tire pressure, 5 temp bars at start, 6 at finish.

Start GID 249
LBW 65.7 miles
VLBW 77.2 miles
End GID 18
m/kWh 4.8
Total miles 79.9
Weather, traffic and temperature were the same as the last test.

Edited to add missing parameters.

This was following the parameters of the test and setting your cruise control for (100kph GPS) or about 65mph? The point is to see how much the car has degraded by seeing how far it can go, not to see if you can go slow enough to make it.

I assume that you had reset your dash economy meter, but 4.8 is just nutty!!!!

You still beat both 2013 models tested on this course with your two year old degraded battery.

TonyWilliams said:
I assume that you had reset your dash economy meter, but 4.8 is just nutty!!!!

You still beat both 2013 models tested on this course with your two year old degraded battery.

Yes, the m/kWh readings are crazy, the only thing that is accurate on my car is the odometer.

pchilds said:
TonyWilliams said:
I assume that you had reset your dash economy meter, but 4.8 is just nutty!!!!...

Yes, the m/kWh readings are crazy...

No, the miles and kWh your LEAF is reporting in the dash m/kWh are not "nutty" or "crazy", but they both are probably wrong.

You do need to use the CarWings energy use and miles driven reports to find the errors in both numbers, resulting in the errors in the m/kWh ratio on your LEAF's dash.

But, maybe you do need to be "nutty" or "crazy", to keep trying to decipher the dash m/kWh readout, without using the data your (CarWings capable) LEAF provides you with.

RE miles driven error:

My carwings energy numbers - CORRECT post NTB11-041 update
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 am

...I suspect Carwings was actually wrong from delivery, and understated mileage by the same 2.5 % as I have seen since the update, and that I just never noticed this relatively small discrepancy.

This could also explain the similar (identical?) 2.5% discrepancy between “dash” and “screen” miles/kWh, which have remained the same on my car, both before and after the update.

Meaning the higher screen number (4.4 m/kWh screen, 4.3 m/kWh dash, on my car since delivery) rather than the dash, may be correct.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5423&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RE kWh use error:

Use CW report from range test to determine battery capacity

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:54 pm

Leaf Number: 2184 Ever since TickTock fist suggested the topic of gid variability, the implications of his observations have been setting in.

TickTock

1 gid *mostly* equals 80Wh

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If “gids” do reflect a variable amount of Wh, and they are the values used by the LEAF to calculate kWh use, then the...dash and nav screen displays of m/kWh, as well as the Carwings calculations based on these same “gid” values, might be expected to be incorrect as well.

I now believe that this quite possibly could be the case.

I have been noticing an unexplained increase in my dash, nav Screen, and Carwings m/kWh results for a few months now, not only on this test trip, but on other trips, and my long term m/kWh averages...

I think that my range tests may indicate that whatever method my LEAF uses to calculate kWh, is variable, and has been significantly understating the recent amounts of kWh use, and has probably increasingly inflated all my m/kWh reports, from the dash, nav screen, and CW...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To humor Ed, I went to Carwings to get the data for Friday, Carwings shows I drove 15.9 miles at 4.9 m/kWh, that is only 10% of the miles I drove. And even if the data was there, it only shows the totals for the day. I would have had to have driven to the start point the night before the test and left the car there until the next day, to get data for the test only.

Carwings is worthless, why would anyone waste their time with it?

pchilds said:
To humor Ed, I went to Carwings to get the data for Friday, Carwings shows I drove 15.9 miles at 4.9 m/kWh, that is only 10% of the miles I drove. And even if the data was there, it only shows the totals for the day. I would have had to have driven to the start point the night before the test and left the car there until the next day, to get data for the test only.

Carwings is worthless, why would anyone waste their time with it?
It only uploads data for your previous trip during your next trip, so the rest should show up later. Look for "Electric Rate Simulation" to be able to view/download data for each trip taken. Multiple trips within a single day each get a unique TripID starting at "1" for the day.

Thanks, I didn't know about the electric rate screen. Everything from the range test on is missing, it was charged and driven 53 miles homes after the test. Powercycled at least 6 times, pressing OK everytime.

pchilds said:
Everything from the range test on is missing, it was charged and driven 53 miles homes after the test. Powercycled at least 6 times, pressing OK everytime.
Interesting. I just checked mine and I have all our trips from Friday and one of my two trips from yesterday (Saturday), which is what I expect. But, yeah, it can be flaky sometimes.

If that data shows up in CarWings eventually, please post it here. TIA.

Back