Official Mitsubishi i-MiEV Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aha .. so it's 300 per year until they reach 1,000 by 2014; still impressive but not as impressive as 1,000 at the start. Got to agree with the others, doesn't look like an ICE but a bit better than the earlier Japanese market only version -- was too tall and too narrow for U.S. roads; still kind of looks 'smart car' like but distinctive enough.

Is it true they will be installing 30 CHAdeMO units in the town? Thats pretty much skipping right over L2 and installing L3 instead. If true, and you ran it flat in this town, there is something VERY wrong with you.

Took a short test drive in one last evening. Nice little buggy, perhaps a bit more Spartan than the LEAF, and the rear seat is a bit tight leg room wise, but for 10 grand less, not bad. That 'B' drive mode sure does put on the binders. Wish I had it.

Bill

I got to see one of these last night. I noticed that the 120v trickle charger was the same shape/look as the Nissan one. The label was different, but otherwise as close as a brother. The label did say 8A in large letters.

I thought the car felt cheap. Like econobox cheap. No adjustable steering wheel. No auto down on the power window. Kept bumping elbows with the passenger. The power was adequate, but only just. You won't be winning many drag races with this one. The cloth interior, while much cheaper than the easily dirtied Leaf, looks like it will last longer and clean up better.

I liked the regular gearshift, and the analog traction power guage. I liked that the traction motor was rear mounted.

All in all, a reasonable car. For me, the price difference did not justify cheaper feel of the car. I'm confident that it will be a good fit for lots of others though.

Herm said:
How do they do the remaining charge and remaining range gauges?

Remaining charge is via a small gauge to the left of the speedo. Remaining charge is shown in miles and is a sub-menu of a similar small gauge on the right of the speedo.

Attachments

• 12-Mitsubishi i IP.jpg
    12-Mitsubishi i IP.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 87
redLEAF said:
As a second or third car for commuting this might work ...

Your iMiev could easily see the most miles in your fleet, due to the convenience and low fueling cost... that would save a lot of tear and wear on your first and second cars.

Ranked number 1 in the EPA’s Annual Fuel Economy Guide, the 2012 Mitsubishi i has been rated by the EPA with a city economy of 126 Miles-Per-Gallon equivalent (MPGe), and a highway economy of 99 MPGe. Beating last year’s winner -- the 2011 Nissan Leaf -- by a substantial margin, the Mitsubishi i not only becomes the cheapest mainstream electric car on the market today but also the most efficient.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/electric-cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really...I have tried both and you can not compare the Leaf with an iMiev.
The iMiev is a professional made rebuild of a small japanese city car. The Leaf is 2 classes higher by any measure !

The iMiev has a 16kW battery and the Leaf 24kW, 50% more than the iMiev but due to (i guess) greater weight only around 20% better official range.

Went to the SF Autoshow last night, checked out the Mitsubishi i-MiEV, I was totally disappointed, mostly with the interior, it's worst than any other budget car out there, couple classes below the Leaf. Have you guys seen it?

Credit Nissan with building an EV that is bad ass and doesn't look like a golf cart. This Mitsubishi looks like a GEM and will be the butt of many jokes. Bad for EV cred.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Credit Nissan with building an EV that is bad ass and doesn't look like a golf cart. This Mitsubishi looks like a GEM and will be the butt of many jokes. Bad for EV cred.
Naw, c'mon. To each, his/her own. I really like the styling of the "i" (MiEV). It is unique, eye-catching... "funky." In fact, I actually like it better than the Leaf, but... it just doesn't have all the features and conveniences that I'd like in an EV. Still, I hope to find a Mitsu dealer in CA that will let me test drive an "i" over the holidays while visiting the in-laws. I might end up preferring a "jelly bean" over a "catfish". :lol:

Back