Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
...Most disappointing to me, is that the reported NEDC range only exceeds that of the '14-'15 LEAF by a bit over 6% (132/124), as compared to the ~11% higher range over the LEAF (93/84) the US EPA gives the Soul.

Because I do mostly low speed driving (with large ascents and descents) My LEAF seems to closely track NEDC range (109 miles for new 2011-12 LEAFs) and I was expecting that the lower NEDC average speed would reduce the aero disadvantage of the Soul, and result in a greater proportionate range increase on that test cycle, not a lesser one.

Seems like there must be some other (relative to LEAF) inefficiency in the Soul, beyond just the ~100 lbs of extra weight, and boxy profile.

"GRA"...Or maybe, since we know that the NEDC is wrong and wildly optimistic, you could just look at the EPA city ranges of the LEAF and Soul EV, 92 and 103.6...

I'm frequently impressed by how much you think you know, GRA.

All the ranges are longer on the NEDC cycle primarily because of the lower average speed (though it includes some time at higher speeds than the USA EPA uses on its highway cycle test) and fewer stop-and-go events than in the EPA urban cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_European_Driving_Cycle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If any test cycle could be called "wildly optimistic", I think it is the EPA highway cycle, with average speed of only ~48 mph and a top speed of ~60 mph.

http://www.epa.gov/nvfel/methods/hwfetdds.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really think a freeway speed range test using the actual left-lane freeway speed in many parts of the US (averaging in the high 70's or low 80's) would be of far more interest to most prospective BEV buyers.

I wonder if the 2015 LEAF range would come close to the 2015 Soul?

...this GCR test drive, where they got 114 miles in careful urban/suburban driving:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1095421_2015-kia-soul-ev-first-drive-of-newest-electric-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meaningless, as an indicator of comparative range.

On another subject, the batteries' relative heat tolerance, Kia voids the battery warranty if the car is exposed to ambient above 50 c (122 f) for over 24 hours, one degree C higher than Nissan allows.

edatoakrun said:
edatoakrun said:
...Most disappointing to me, is that the reported NEDC range only exceeds that of the '14-'15 LEAF by a bit over 6% (132/124), as compared to the ~11% higher range over the LEAF (93/84) the US EPA gives the Soul.

Because I do mostly low speed driving (with large ascents and descents) My LEAF seems to closely track NEDC range (109 miles for new 2011-12 LEAFs) and I was expecting that the lower NEDC average speed would reduce the aero disadvantage of the Soul, and result in a greater proportionate range increase on that test cycle, not a lesser one.

Seems like there must be some other (relative to LEAF) inefficiency in the Soul, beyond just the ~100 lbs of extra weight, and boxy profile.

"GRA"...Or maybe, since we know that the NEDC is wrong and wildly optimistic, you could just look at the EPA city ranges of the LEAF and Soul EV, 92 and 103.6...

I'm frequently impressed by how much you think you know, GRA.

All the ranges are longer on the NEDC cycle primarily because of the lower average speed (though it includes some time at higher speeds than the USA EPA uses on its highway cycle test) and fewer stop-and-go events than in the EPA urban cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_European_Driving_Cycle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oddly enough, it's not just me, they're adopting a new test because the NEDC is so inaccurate and optimistic:

"Why European Gas-Mileage Ratings Are So High--And Often Wrong"

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091877_why-european-gas-mileage-ratings-are-so-high--and-often-wrong" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Will European Fuel-Efficiency Tests Get More Realistic Under New Rules?"

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1093048_will-european-fuel-efficiency-tests-get-more-realistic-under-new-rules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"European regulators say incorrect CO2 ratings coudl be costing drivers $580/year"

http://green.autoblog.com/2014/10/03/european-regulators-say-incorrect-co2-ratings-cost-580-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
If any test cycle could be called "wildly optimistic", I think it is the EPA highway cycle, with average speed of only ~48 mph and a top speed of ~60 mph.

http://www.epa.gov/nvfel/methods/hwfetdds.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really think a freeway speed range test using the actual left-lane freeway speed in many parts of the US (averaging in the high 70's or low 80's) would be of far more interest to most prospective BEV buyers.
While I agree that the highway test should be modified to reflect more realistic speeds, the addition of the US06 cycle to the test regime, http://www.epa.gov/nvfel/methods/us06dds.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to have made the EPA numbers match real world results within 10% or so. Personally, I've never had any trouble exceeding the EPA's highway mpg for at least the past 26 years, i.e. even before they last tightened the test in 2007. I definitely don't hypermile or poke along below the flow of traffic, but I do use cruise control most of the time. For instance, my 1988 Subaru was rated at 25 mpg highway; I normally got 27, and up to 29.5 in that. My current 2003 Subie was rated at 27 mpg hwy (but would be rated 25 mpg under the 2007 standard), and I normally get 28-29, and have gotten up to 31; my worst, with three people and luggage in the car (but mostly flat), rain/wet roads and headwinds was 26.5. Things have tightened up considerably since the original EPA ratings came out, when essentially no one could achieve the mpg ratings (that's the method still used for computing CAFE, which is why the Monroney sticker values are and will be far below the CAFE values). Naturally, automakers still do their best to game the tests, but they get called on it when they're way off, as Hyundai/Kia/Ford have all experienced this year.

edatoakrun said:
I wonder if the 2015 LEAF range would come close to the 2015 Soul?

...this GCR test drive, where they got 114 miles in careful urban/suburban driving:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1095421_2015-kia-soul-ev-first-drive-of-newest-electric-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meaningless, as an indicator of comparative range.
It's certainly meaningful as an indicator of fairly easily achievable real-world range, albeit in good conditions. It takes considerably more effort to achieve that kind of range in a LEAF, although it can be done. I agree with their conclusion that a Kia Soul has a 'no worries' 70 mile range when new in good conditions. Personally, I consider the current crop of BEVs to be good for a guaranteed range about 50% of their EPA range for 3 years in areas with temperate (rarely below freezing) winters, 40% in areas where the winter temps regularly range down into the teens, and 30% below that. TMS can increase the number of years and/or winter range. Obviously it's possible in many cases or if you're willing to make compromises to do better, but I think of guaranteed range as if I were to hand the key to somebody's grandmother and they just drove it like any other car, what range would I be comfortable telling them they could drive with no worry year round, using HVAC/lights/wipers with a reserve.

edatoakrun said:
On another subject, the batteries' relative heat tolerance, Kia voids the battery warranty if the car is exposed to ambient above 50 c (122 f) for over 24 hours, one degree C higher than Nissan allows.
Good thing that the Soul's battery is cooled then, huh? I suppose if you left the car parked inside an un-ventilated garage in Death Valley in August it might be possible to maintain the battery temp that high for that long, but since anyone with any sense is going to avoid the place like the plague at that time of the year, I think we can leave Darwin to sort that one out. As for Phoenix et al, if you're driving the car on a daily basis when the battery will be cooled, I can't see that it would be an issue.

In the month of October (starting in mid October that is) Kia has sold 109 units of the Soul EV in the U.S. market and additional 14 units in Canada.

http://www.kia-world.net/soul-ev-october-2014-sales-figures-usa-canada/#sthash.6dheWeJD.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ILETRIC said:
In the month of October (starting in mid October that is) Kia has sold 109 units of the Soul EV in the U.S. market and additional 14 units in Canada.

http://www.kia-world.net/soul-ev-october-2014-sales-figures-usa-canada/#sthash.6dheWeJD.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Confirmation of compliance status.

The sales should gradually increase during the upcoming months as more vehicles hit the local stores and should total at around 5,000 units at the end of 2015.

No. Nissan didn't sell many more Leafs the first month either... And none in Canada.

evnow said:
ILETRIC said:
Confirmation of compliance status

My local KIA dealer sad they expect the Soul EV to be for sale in Oregon in about six months. If they don't continue to expand sales we can call it a compliance vehicle, but they should get a year to start their rollout before we call it that.

gsleaf said:
My local KIA dealer sad they expect the Soul EV to be for sale in Oregon in about six months. If they don't continue to expand sales we can call it a compliance vehicle, but they should get a year to start their rollout before we call it that.

Just in time for my Leaf lease to be up. Either that or a used Model S. I guess we'll see which company starts shipping enough cars to meet demand by then!

I might believe that this is a compliance vehicle, but it really does seem like Kia is making an effort to make more plugin vehicles.

Hyundai and Kia target the number two slot in green vehicles by 2020 with a massive expansion of their hybrid, plug-in electric, and fuel-cell-car lineups... The two companies' combined green-car roster will also feature six plug-in hybrids, two hydrogen fuel-cell cars, and two battery-electric cars.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1095467_hyundai-and-kia-target-2-slot-in-green-vehicles-by-2020

Quote: "Confirmation of compliance status." Nothing in what I read indicated compliance vehicle to me... "5,000 vehicles by the end of the year" is not far off from what Nissan sold in the same time frame... I know you desperately want believe it is a compliance vehicle but saying so doesn't make it so...

evnow said:
TomT said:
No. Nissan didn't sell many more Leafs the first month either... And none in Canada.
Did you even read what I quoted ?

Kia isn't required to sell the car in Canada... they are. They are not required to sell in South Africa, or Europe, or a whole bunch of places other than the CARB-ZEV states.

They also didn't to make it go 100 miles down the freeway. They could have done like VW and made a 2011 LEAF clone and sold it only in California and other CARB-ZEV states.

Or GM, and actually make the battery smaller for 2015 in their Spark EV compliance vehicle when they figured out it went "too far".

I hate to let everybody down, but Kia is going for it.

Yeah, if this is a compliance vehicle, then Kia is the dumbest car company in the world. 100-mile freeway range, brand-new battery tech under the floor, in their most popular car with an international rollout. They could have just filled the trunk of an Optima with some LG batteries from 2011, leased it in LA only, and called it a day.

TonyWilliams said:
Kia isn't required to sell the car in Canada... they are..

Yes, seven dealerships nationwide get to have two units per month for a few months. Are they serious, or are they just shipping a token number to Canada in order to green their image?

Kia also offers a 100,000 mile warranty on the battery. That to me says it is more than just a compliance vehicle.

More choices in the EV market is a good thing, so what if they are slow rolling out the first years worth of cars. Nissan did the same thing.

evnow said:
ILETRIC said:

Confirmation of compliance status.

The sales should gradually increase during the upcoming months as more vehicles hit the local stores and should total at around 5,000 units at the end of 2015.

Yes, if Kia is really that much of a competitor to Leaf as this thread implies, then they should at least take close to 50% of the Leaf
SAM in 2015, i.e. The Kia volume should be 10K to 15K for 2015 or at a run rate of 2K/month in Q4 of 2015. That volume from a
production standpoint shouldn't be difficult given the Soul BEV ICE body and thus the basic same production line. If not, then we
have another compliance car!

pkulak said:
We have no idea what kind of production ramp-up is required by SK Innovation.

They very cleverly at NOT making the same mistakes Nissan made.

You don't blast out 50,000 cars and find a major problem, like a battery that fails.

First, you trickle a few all around the world to make sure the dealers are up to speed, infrastructure is in place, spare parts, training, compatibility with everybody's charging stuff (already a problem for Kia), and a whole host of other things.

Then, when you're sure everything is "go", then you attack the dominant #1 EV maker in the world. Not before.

Well played.

If I had to replace my Leaf today I would at least go drive the Soul EV. I know I will get flamed for even mentioning this, but I would have a tough time living with those aero wheels.
kia-soul-ev-1_3_0.jpg

The wheels on the ICE Soul look considerably better and appear to be nearly as enclosed as the ugly ones on the EV version.
top-img-car.jpg

I have seen the two-tone ICE versions in person and they're actually pretty nice looking.

Back